Cheap Cans for iPod
Aug 10, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #16 of 51
All sounds good but really 100 dollars is stretching it. I know i wont be able to get the best headphones, but the money is really the biggest factor. I am also no audiophile, so theres a chance that I wont be able to tell the small differences like others would. $70 for a set of cans seems a lot to me, but thats maybe cuz I haven't owned a good pair yet. I would like to hear more about the RX700 because I have only heard good things and the price is great. Sorry for the constant posting but I am looking to buy this weekend and am a bit overwhelmed at the moment. I appreciate all responses.

Aug 10, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #17 of 51

Quote:
I would like to hear more about the RX700 because I have only heard good things and the price is great. Sorry for the constant posting but I am looking to buy this weekend and am a bit overwhelmed at the moment. I appreciate all responses.

Look, the RX700's are good headphones. I have owned them, and i loved the sound. Mids and bass are great (some eq tweaking helps), they sound good with ipods or mp3 players. 
Aside from that, you can make several mods to improve their sound. 

If portability is not an issue, get them. 

Aug 10, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #20 of 51
No luck on the ATH M50, cheapest is $98 on ebay. I found a lot of comparison to the AKG K240 but that is not much cheaper. The JVC's are all over the internet for 30-50, though the 30-35 range is sold out. Is there anything comparable to this marvelous ATH-M50 for a smaller price perhaps? 

Aug 10, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #21 of 51
Koss PortaPro also has much bass, but still maintains some detail and resolving power. The PortaPro also has a huge soundstage, comparably larger than a closed 'phone like the M50... The PortaPro is available in a nice black edition at bestbuy.com... for about $30. Keep in mind it is not full size, and blocks no outside noise.

Aug 10, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #22 of 51

Quote:
No luck on the ATH M50, cheapest is $98 on ebay. I found a lot of comparison to the AKG K240 but that is not much cheaper. The JVC's are all over the internet for 30-50, though the 30-35 range is sold out. Is there anything comparable to this marvelous ATH-M50 for a smaller price perhaps? 

Did you look into the MDR-V6's?
They can be bought for ~$70.

Aug 11, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #24 of 51

Quote:
Koss PortaPro also has much bass, but still maintains some detail and resolving power. The PortaPro also has a huge soundstage, comparably larger than a closed 'phone like the M50... The PortaPro is available in a nice black edition at bestbuy.com... for about $30. Keep in mind it is not full size, and blocks no outside noise.

The Porta looks cool and got good reviews but for bout $5 more i can get the JVC...

Aug 11, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #25 of 51

Quote:
Yeah. Right now I am thinking of either buying a JVC HA-RX700 or the Sony MDR-V6? There is a $30-40 price diff. What would be best for me?

I would like to push you in the direction the MDR-V6.

I recommended the RX700's to a friend after reading so much about these here at head-fi.
I was completely underwhelmed by the RX700's, and I will not recommend them anymore.

On the other hand, I've never heard the MDR-V6. But, other people that I know I can trust to give a sound opinion have vouched for them.
For instance, Uncle Erik.

Quote:
The MDR-V6 is far from a bad headphone. I owned a pair for years and years and put hundreds of hours on them. Passed them along to the brother-in-law when the HD-650 showed up, but you could do a lot worse.

Look around for a refurb pair - I've seen them go as low as $50.

Since your budget is $100, stretch another $15 or so and get a pair of Grado SR-60s to go along with the MDR-V6. It's OK to have more than one pair, after all. 
biggrin.gif

If you like rock and have already heard Grados, you should have a pair.

Aug 11, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #26 of 51

Quote:

I recommended the RX700's to a friend after reading so much about these here at head-fi.
I was completely underwhelmed by the RX700's, and I will not recommend them anymore.

On the other hand, I've never heard the MDR-V6. But, other people that I know I can trust to give a sound opinion have vouched for them.

I know this is going a lil off base from what i specified at first but I have seen everyone recommend the Grado s60's. Whats the general price on those online? I know they are open but the reviews may speak louder.

Aug 11, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #27 of 51

Quote:

A little off base of what I specified, but what would you say about Grado's s60? I see them recommended everywhere. I know that it is open but maybe the quality is better. What exactly is the main diffs. between open and closed, and more specifically with the s60's compared to the sonys.  Sorry, I am purchasing my first pair of good phones.

Aug 11, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #28 of 51
A little off base of what I specified, but what would you say about Grado's s60? I know that it is open but maybe the quality is better. What exactly is the diff between open and closed, and how is that seen between the Sony and the Grado. Sorry, but this is my first real headphone purchase.

Aug 11, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #29 of 51

Quote:
A little off base of what I specified, but what would you say about Grado's s60? I know that it is open but maybe the quality is better. What exactly is the diff between open and closed, and how is that seen between the Sony and the Grado. Sorry, but this is my first real headphone purchase.

lol, you were suppose to ignore the last half of his post =p.

I have zero experience with grado's, but others seem to like them. Certainly not a bad choice, but you should do a bit of research before deciding upon them.
Alot of people love them, but there are a fair number of people who hate them. They are unique, I'd say.

"Open" means that there air can flow in and out of the chamber, which means that there is absolute no isolation. You can hear everything, and everyone else can hear everything that goes through your headphones.

Aug 11, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #30 of 51

Quote:
"Open" means that there air can flow in and out of the chamber, which means that there is absolute no isolation. You can hear everything, and everyone else can hear everything that goes through your headphones.

It seems that open are better quality then. This is getting a bit absurd but what would be a few open cans that you could recommend for under 100, but closer to the 50-75 range if possible. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back