cheap cable recommendation?
Nov 7, 2002 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

pennylane

500+ Head-Fier
i don't really know where this goes, but i'm relatively new to this head-fi thing, and i'm wondering how i should connect my cheap riovolt sp250 (actually iriver imp250 but they're the same thing) to my newly used cmoy. right now i have some simple cable i found in the garage. it's not gold plated. that's about all i know.
is there a (very) cheap way to improve this?

Nov 7, 2002 at 2:28 AM Post #4 of 16
yes it would be mini to mini. i didn't give a price range because i'm unsure as to how much money it would take to get something decent. what's the cheapest recommended mini to mini cable?

Nov 7, 2002 at 2:42 AM Post #5 of 16
either this one:

http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...tID=0050160075

or the markertek. Sorry, don't have a link for that one.
frown.gif

Nov 7, 2002 at 2:49 AM Post #7 of 16
A foot of Canare L-4E5S cable and 2 * 1/8" (3.5mm) mini plugs would do well. If you are willing to spend the time making the cable, that is...

Nov 7, 2002 at 4:50 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by pennylane
where can i find the Canare, and how much would it cost? i did a search for the L-4E5S on google, and i couldn't find anything

My mistake. It's the L-4E5C.

Available from Markertek:
http://www.markertek.com/MTStore/pro...em=L%2D4E6S+BK

Unfortunately, I do not know if there is a base charge for markertek...

Nov 8, 2002 at 12:43 AM Post #13 of 16
I just ordered a Markertek for about $20 bucks. Not only will it sound better than the RS cable, but I got it at a 3ft. length and it's RED!! You can get a 1.5fter and pick your color too.

Jod
wink.gif

Nov 12, 2002 at 12:16 AM Post #14 of 16
I just got done making a cable to go from my pcdp to my META42, mini to mini. I used radio shack gold connectors and CAT5 cable. The difference between this and the cable that came with my TAH is very obvious. Switching between the two I notice the bass is deeper and more defined, in fact everything is better defined. I also found much more depth of field to the music. Even my wife who is not into hi-fi could tell a difference. She liked the CAT5 better, saying it was cleaner and more 3 deminsional. That's using Beyer DT250-80 headphones. I'm shocked
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2002 at 7:59 PM Post #15 of 16
hopefully this isnt too offtopic (and yeah, i am reading old threads about this, but i am hoping to get up to the minute thoughts...)

i just found that i have 2 .5m Tara Labs RCA-RCA cables that i can use for my forthcoming META42....however, i need to connect it to my PCDP's mini jack Line Out. if anyone has anything to say about Tara Labs, feel free to voice your opinion. i'd like to hear what ppl think of their stuff.

for those like myself, who are going to use RCA cables (esp the popular Outlaws)....are there any quality RCA to mini adapters?

are they essentially Y-shaped adapters that take the 2 RCA cables and connect them to a single mini-plug?

like this ?? is there anything better than this or one i can just pick up at radio shack?

[Note: i am considering a Kimber RCA-mini cable, but am super broke, so I was thinking a quality adapter, if such a thing existed, would be cheaper than a $50 cable]

thanks for the help...i hope this is somewhat usefull to pennylane should you decide to go with RCA interconnects

Users who are viewing this thread

Back