Cheap/Budget IEMs
Sep 7, 2009 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

Avanish11

New Head-Fier
I have the SkullCandy Smokin' Buds right now. Sound-wise, they're great. Comfort-wise, they're not bad, but not good either. Quality-wise, they're flat-out terrible. I've gone through 4 pairs of them over the course of 2 years now, and my 1 month old 5th pair is on the verge of breaking
confused_face.gif

So I'm trying to get some better quality IEMs for less than $30.

I use them for listening to heavy metal/hard rock and for gaming. I LOVE bass, so if the new headphones are amazing in every aspect, except for bass, then I won't go for it.

I've heard good things about the JVC marshmallows, but I've tried them out briefly before, and they didn't sound very good then.

Thanks.

Sep 8, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #3 of 49
The JVC Aircushions are a little nicer than the Marshmallows. Also, I really like the Nuforce NE-7M even more, but they are $49 and above your budget. but the NE-7M compete well with earphones up to $100 or more. See my public profile "about me" for link to my review. Both of these earphones need about 80-200 hours of burn-in (i.e. run music through them to break them in).

Sep 8, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #4 of 49
I'd love to get the NE-7Ms, but my budget is at a hard $40 cap, but I'd like to save a bit and make it less than $30.

The sennheisers have one cable longer than the other ear's. This kills it for me, so the Cx300 is out.

I think it's safe to assume that the Bass Freqs will have the better bass, so which has better sound quality overall out of these 2:

JVC air cushion:
Amazon.com: JVC HAFX66A Air Cushion Headphones (Blue): Electronics

Or

V-Moda Bass Freq:

Amazon.com: V-MODA Bass Freq Earbuds - Bling Bling Black: Electronics

Sep 8, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #5 of 49
I think the Aircushion are fairly well balanced with strong bass as well - but the mids are slightly recessed vs the marshmallows, although I think the highs are less strident than the marshmallows. I only hear a bass-freq at the store without burn-in and wasn't impressed. These dynamic driver earphones all improve with burn-in, which makes them enjoyable even for someone accustomed to $400 earphones, so maybe the bass-freq would improve but I don't know. No, the NE-7M wont perform like a $400 earphone, but they did surprise me.

If I were you I would still hold out for the NE-7M and save up a little extra for them because they really are nice out of the box and great after 80 hours of use. Or, see if Nuforce is ready to release the NE-6 which is a cheaper version of the NE-7M but without the iPhone microphone.

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #7 of 49
+1 for the Meelectronics Ai-M9
Also, Soundmagic PL21 (current fave budget IEM) and Ai-M6 (same hardware as the Ai-M9 but bass hits harder cause of the fit)

Sep 8, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #8 of 49
Hello guys! I was looking for some cheap IEM's too. I have a 40$ budget. Sennheiser CX 300-II and Creative EP630 are very interesting. In fact these are the only IEMs that I can buy for this money in my country. Sound quality is the thing that matters for me. I listen all kind of music genres and I guess that the EP630 are too heavy on bass. I would also enjoy carrying my sansa clip in the sennheiser pouch as it is scratch sensible. The EPs are only 6$ cheaper than the CXs. What should I do?

Sep 8, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #9 of 49
X2 on the PL21. I do use jays large silicone tips on mine but I like them better than the M6/M9 and the Denon C710.

Also, the M9 are $17.49 from Meelec.com and the shipping (last I checked) was the same or less than Overstock.

Sep 8, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #10 of 49
I think I've eliminated the JVCs from my lineup. I tried my friend's unmodded marshmallows, with over 1000 hours of burn-in time. They sound alright, but I wouldn't be satisfied with them.

So I'm left wit the PL21, M6, M9, and NE-7M.

I've been reading around about the NE-7Ms, and the general consensus is that they are AMAZING. I might have to ask my dad for and extra 20 dollars to get them.

If I don't get the Nuforces, I'm leaning towards the M6's. They're made to wrap around the ears, to eliminate microphonics. It really annoyed me that my skullcandies would magnify any clothes rustling or chewing if I'm eating.

Sep 8, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #12 of 49
BTW any noise while eating is probably a matter of bone induction. Means that you'll experience that noise (vibration passing thru your body) with anything that plugs up your ears entirely, whether it's earplugs, fingers, iem's, etc.

Sep 8, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #13 of 49
I've read the Head-direct RE2 are pretty nice IEMs too...

I have yet to delve properly in that price range IEM, but i spent 4 years in my pre head-fi era with v-moda bass freq, and loved them thoroughly. i still use them occasionally and am satisfied for what they are to me; pocket throw-around headphones. they're pretty tough too, as i had the same pair in my pocket for about a year before they gave out, and i wasnt easy on them (a small cloth bagy as a case). that paired with good CS made for decent headphones. i wouldn't go as far as to say they're great SQ, but they're the only ones i've had for that price range, and i was more than satisfied with them.

Sep 8, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #14 of 49
Sound-quality wise, I think it's fair to assume that the NE-7Ms, iM-590s, and RE2s are nearly equal.

Out of those 3, which ones have the BEST build quality? These will be my daily throw-around headphones, so they should be able to take a beating. I don't want to have to deal with getting them repaired every few months like I had to with the skullcandies.

Also, I do not have an amp, nor do I have a sound EQ in my MP3 player. Will this make much of a difference at this price point?

Sep 8, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #15 of 49
The IM-590's would have the best build quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back