Cheap, Bassy Over-ear Headphones for 20$?
Mar 28, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #17 of 25
Try to get a Sony XB line... If you search well you can get a brand new XB400 of even XB600 I think. In the 45$ range I mean. Check also Superlux, this brand is really competitive and has at least one "bassy" headphone.

Talking about what I know you'll be happy with a XB600. Comfy (like two pillows on your ears), good isolation, so dark but awesome sound. I have a stupid grin on the face when the bass kicks in. Just as if you were about to do something epic. Didn't try the XB400 though.

Good hunt.

Mar 28, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #20 of 25
The new XB series isn't nearly as good in sound quality and construction as the old XB series, and the old one wasn't great either.

Disagreed. I hated the old XB 300 & 500, Bass was muddy and leaking over all the spectrum. I had a negative thought before listening to the XB600 and guess what, I did buy one. Old serie wasn't beautiful either, and about comfort the new serie is already really comfy.

New XB line is brighter, better highs, no muddy bass, good instrument separation. Now I didn't try amped, but a lot of owners find it a lot more responsive to amp than old XB series. Did you try both?

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #21 of 25
As far as my personal experience with the two XB's I have go, they are a refurbished pair of 500s I bought not much before their discontinuation and a new pair of 600s.  In concerns to aesthetics, the 600s (brown) are more attractive than the 500s, but I must admit the silliness of the 500 pads is something I very much enjoy.  I can't say anything about construction quality because I'm certainly no expert.  Both pairs are out on loan currently so I can't go into detail, but I find I just enjoy the 500s more, altho it was a difficult decision to me.

Either way, neither of them are probably in the OP's price range currently.  I'd suggest the JVC S400 myself, I find the bass quite pleasing, and can be had for under 30.

Oh yeah, as far as the original $20 price limit, I haven't gotten a chance to hear them, but maybe someone else can speak up on if the Panasonic HTX7s are any good.  Amazon has the red version for 19.95.

Oct 20, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #24 of 25
Well these aren't $20 you could get the sony XB400's
maybe you can get em for $30 ? or cheaper.
they do give nice bass and it's controlled but boomy.
the only downsides is the veiled treble (mids and highs suffer a bit).
And the earpads don't come off and are permanently glued and they are cheaply made and super soft,
I can almost feel the plastic earcups. The design look is nice but the earpads are bad quality
and will wear n tear and once they wear off you are screwed.
also the cord isn't detatchable and obviously
if it were to break you are screwed too.
But if you just want pure bass these will do just fine
and they do have treble just don't suspect top notch treble quality
they are "okay" you mainly buy these for the bass!

Oct 20, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #25 of 25
  Pretty much your only option in that price range would be the Koss KSC75's. As the others have said, you'll likely get a better value by expanding your price range. The KSC75's are very good beginner headphones to get you into the hobby, though.

I always recommend koss headphones as the best value in the industry.

However, OP asked for over ears and the koss I recommend are on ear. 

If on-ear is an option, portapro, sportapro and ksc75's are great options. I like the 75's best with a pp or sp headband, and the pp and sp drivers sound best with a lighter clamping headband like parts express. 

Koss UR40's are over ear, but not especially bassy last time I listened to them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back