Cheap Bass-Heavy, Comfortable Headphones
Jun 4, 2012 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Benoit08

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, Im looking for a new pair of headphones and have gotten very confused researching different models. I was looking to spend about £50 but could probably push up to £100 max if I really needed too.

I like bass-heavy headphones, I've recently had a pair of HD205's and I had the Razer Chimaera 5.1 Gaming Headset (it went faulty and sent it back) but I loved the bass on them both and thought the Razer Chimaera had great sound quality (so im nowhere near an audiophile!) 

Im going to be doing a bit of travelling so comfort is a must but I'd also like to be able to remove the cable, on my HD205 the cable was stupidly long for listening to my iPod/Phone but great for plugging into my TV. So if I could have a detachable cable that would probaly give me the best of both worlds. (If the cable is fixed I would like it fairly short, about the length of the cables that would come with Beats Studios - good length for carrying attached to my phone, can just get an extension if needed).

Mostly for Movies and Gaming (action, explosion heavy films) through my TV (mostly movies) and some music through my phone so being able to be driven via a phone is essential. In terms of music I have a wide taste, going on a clubbing holiday this year so lots of Bassy pop-music and dance tunes but I also like a lot of Indie music and love some classical rock too. I dont expect to get an all-in-one considering I only want to spend a maximum of £100 but as close as possible would be great lol

Due to the travelling by plane quite a bit a good Noise Isolation would be great so I dont have to listen to small children crying too much!

The 205's were good but an upgrade on them, with high bass still and a detachable cable would be great. I was looking at 215's and then saw they have a poor bass (is it *that* much worse than 205's?) trying to answer that question had be going through forum posts all over the place looking at Beyers, a range of about 7 different Sennheisers and some other brands I had never heard of.

Sorry for coming on here as I imagine you guys get quite frustrated with posts like this for cheap phones. Thanks in advance though.

EDIT: Sorry, one more thing my 205's were very comfortable but could get my ears quite clammy after extended usage but I imagine this may be down to their noise Isolation (I could barely hear anything else with them on) If there's a headphone that can both isolate outside noise but also not be too clammy then fantastic but Noise Isolation is probably priority #1 behind bass

Jun 4, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #3 of 29
Quote:
Would the Sennheiser 518's be a good fit for what I'm after?

No, you said you want isolation, and they offer none.

I would have suggested the hd25 II 1, but you said you want comfort.

Personally I'd use an IEM, for comfort, portability, isolation, and thumping bass.
Let's see  if you can't get better recommendations .

Jun 4, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 29
Had to run a conversion from pounds to dollars... It appears that the Ultrasone HFI-580 are well within your reach if you are willing to push your budget a bit.  They do clamp quite a bit, but I've found them to be rather comfortable over a period of time.  They tend to just feel snug as opposed to painful after a time.  The bass is rather fantastic for the price.  I whole heartedly recommend these for your needs.  Good isolation, good bass, and decent comfort.  Oh... And they play nice with most sources. 

Jun 4, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 29
cheap? xb500/700
comfy? xb500/700
bass heavy? xb500/700
answer? koss portapr--- i mean xb500/700

i dont think any headphone will beat the xb series when it comes to comfort :)

Jun 4, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:
cheap? xb500/700
comfy? xb500/700
bass heavy? xb500/700
answer? koss portapr--- i mean xb500/700

i dont think any headphone will beat the xb series when it comes to comfort :)

Either one of those two or the V-MODA crossfade LP (the original is at $100 and offers better isolation than the sony but, I've never heard the LP). The sony will make a good cheap choice for bass but are limited to that. If you EQ the xb500 you will have a good headphone for a great price. 

Jun 4, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:
and isolation ? and portability ?

they had isolation IMO since they are bass-heavy headphones. they kinda leak though because they have small vents. i also consider them portable. the xb500 has thinner pads so it doesnt look bulky as the 1000.

those can be modded with detacheable cables as well, if OP knows some DIY-ing

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #11 of 29
its not my pic though haha but i know in my country who does these kinds of mods (to any headphone) and i also know how to do it (but lazy)

Jun 5, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:
Bleh, XB500 is so ordinary sounding. I don't even know why I bought it.

Luckily, it responds pretty good to an EQ. I had some of my bands in the +/- 8 db though!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back