Cheap-Arse amp for me?
Nov 1, 2008 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Benaiir

1000+ Head-Fier
My parents let me get nice headphones, and an iPod, as long as I pay em back some day, but little did I know how bad the iPod made my music sound till my dad plugged my headphones into the 5.1 home theater system and then I realized how phenominal sound was even through the FM tuner. So, I looked for a portable one on ebay but there's only some amp from China, but that isn't exactly a plus. If anybody can suggest an amp cheap yet good, I'd be apreciated.

Source: iPod & PC

Amp's I'm looking @ : Headphone Amplifier FiiO E3, Behringer Ha400

Nov 1, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 17
The Fiio E5 is coming out soon. The iBasso T4 has just been released.

Really need to know an idea of your budget. You will also need to factor in the cost of a LOD.

Nov 3, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by J.D.N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Fiio E5 is coming out soon. The iBasso T4 has just been released.

Really need to know an idea of your budget. You will also need to factor in the cost of a LOD.

Less than $100 is the range (The iBasso's gave me sticker-shock) What's LOD?

Nov 3, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 17
A line-out dock is a cable that runs from the socket at the bottom of ipod into a stereo jack.

Nov 3, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 17
Line out Dock It is a cable that goes from the dock connector of the ipod to a 3.5mm jack so it can be plugged into the amp. It allows the music to bypass the internal headphone amp of the iPod. That basically means better quality music.

Nov 3, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Benaiir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My parents let me get nice headphones, and an iPod, as long as I pay em back some day, but little did I know how bad the iPod made my music sound till my dad plugged my headphones into the 5.1 home theater system and then I realized how phenominal sound was even through the FM tuner. So, I looked for a portable one on ebay but there's only some amp from China, but that isn't exactly a plus. If anybody can suggest an amp cheap yet good, I'd be apreciated.

Amp's I'm looking @ : Headphone Amplifier FiiO E3, Behringer Ha400

You may want to re-evaluate your motivations for finding an amp. For use with an Ipod and portable cans, the perceived sonic improvement to be had by adding an amp...may not be nearly as large as you are led to believe by the posts here! The Ipod sounds pretty good, to me, and many others. Obviously the Ipod 'buds are easily improved upon
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe you can find a headphone amp nearby and try before you buY?

Nov 3, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #8 of 17
Garbage in => Garbage out.

Did you listen to the same MP3's on your dad's HT system, using the same earphones/headphones you are using with the Ipod?

Also which headphones are you using, how useful an amp is going to be is also related the the HP. You can expect marginal improvements if you are using a hungry HP, and a subtle improvement for the others. Your problem might be the ipod itself and not the lack of an amp.

Nov 3, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #9 of 17
If you like the sound of the receiver, why not pick one up? New ones can be pricey, but ask friends and family if they have an old two channel deck around. You might get one for free. Ask if anyone has a turntable while you're at it.

If you can't find one that way, go to garage sales, thrift stores and junk shops. You should find one well under $50. Again, see if you can find a turntable while you're at it.
wink.gif

Another option is to build your own amp. Check out the nice kits at Glass Jar Audio - you should be able to put together a SOHA with your budget.

Nov 3, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may want to re-evaluate your motivations for finding an amp. For use with an Ipod and portable cans, the perceived sonic improvement to be had by adding an amp...may not be nearly as large as you are led to believe by the posts here! The Ipod sounds pretty good, to me, and many others. Obviously the Ipod 'buds are easily improved upon
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe you can find a headphone amp nearby and try before you buY?

I use closed headphones for my ipod, buds at school.
Yeah, Guitar center's my open option. But just that my parents theater reciever thing made me WOW. I would like lay on the floor listening to whatever.

Nov 3, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like the sound of the receiver, why not pick one up? New ones can be pricey, but ask friends and family if they have an old two channel deck around. You might get one for free. Ask if anyone has a turntable while you're at it.

If you can't find one that way, go to garage sales, thrift stores and junk shops. You should find one well under $50. Again, see if you can find a turntable while you're at it.
wink.gif

Another option is to build your own amp. Check out the nice kits at Glass Jar Audio - you should be able to put together a SOHA with your budget.

Craigslist, my friend
smily_headphones1.gif

And, yeah, I was thinkin' of building one. Is it complex or like legos or something?

Nov 3, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Garbage in => Garbage out.

Did you listen to the same MP3's on your dad's HT system, using the same earphones/headphones you are using with the Ipod?

Also which headphones are you using, how useful an amp is going to be is also related the the HP. You can expect marginal improvements if you are using a hungry HP, and a subtle improvement for the others. Your problem might be the ipod itself and not the lack of an amp.

Big... Words...
Current headphones : AKG K99 (Odd, huh?)
Um, I think my best bet is guitar center or sam ash.

Nov 4, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sentinl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Line out Dock It is a cable that goes from the dock connector of the ipod to a 3.5mm jack so it can be plugged into the amp. It allows the music to bypass the internal headphone amp of the iPod. That basically means better quality music.

Actually, I don't believe that's true. The line-out from the iPod still goes through a so-so opamp as well as a bunch of other signal degrading electronics, hence the iMod.

There a bunch of amps made by the DIY community available on eBay that are probably a great value. You might want to check those out.

Nov 4, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #14 of 17
Virtually any reciever/integrated amp/cassette deck amp will be an improvement over the headphone out. The thing to be aware of is that some will sound much better than others.
I have a bunch of yard sale gear to experiment with, and I settled on a Kenwood integrated amp with a Realistic 10 band EQ as my primary headphone set-up. Running a close 2nd was an Onkyo cassette deck with the EQ. The phones I use with this are a Denon AH D1001, a JVC HA RX900, and an old Realistic Nova20.
I'm not saying Kenwood or Onkyo are great headphone brands, as I have other devices, an Onkyo integrated amp and a reciever, and two Kenwood recievers, that don't come close to the headphone performance of the particular devices previously mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back