Cheap and Loud Phones needed
May 29, 2004 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

chicubs

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I recently purchased a new audio player: Philips HDD120...and I love it so far except it has a weak out of 2x5mw, although I have not come across a situation that I needed it louder (Ive only had 3 days). I think I need some new, loud, headphones, but since I just bought this $250 player I want to keep the new phones under $40? Any recommendations?

EDIT: Some mod may move this if they want. I put it in here because it is somewhat related to my portable audio player....and this is the only place I have ever posted
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2004 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 11
The Koss portables? Ksc-35/50/55 or the Portapro (original or 2). I always thought that they went pretty loud...

May 30, 2004 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 11
Yep, the Kosses (KSC-35/50/55 and PortaPro/PortaPro2) and the Senn PX100/200 are your best bets for under $50. There are other brands, including the giant Sony - but most of those barely sound any better than the bundled stock iPod phones, and many of those actually sound worse.

May 30, 2004 at 1:45 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by chicubs
Really? The Koss's are the best bang for the buck? hmm...Ill check'em out.

yah chicubs you want the Koss KSC-35 or PortaPro

or Grado SR60

keep your eye out in the headphones for sale forum here if you need a good deal

May 30, 2004 at 2:25 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
I haven't used them, but people here used to suggest the Sennheiser MX400/500 earbuds...I dunno if you like earbuds though, or how good they are...but they are cheap (like 20 bucks or so).

Bah, they are nothing worth writing home for. Actually, I didn't really like them. Bad microphonics and they couldn't stay in my ear, no matter if I used the foamies or silicon rings.

May 30, 2004 at 9:10 AM Post #9 of 11
Chicubs,
you obviously need a headphone amp.
lambda.gif
lambda.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 30, 2004 at 10:22 PM Post #10 of 11
i agree. those mx500s are just too big for my small ears. but the shure e2c with small foamies on the other hand are just perfect.

May 31, 2004 at 6:30 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitlets
i agree. those mx500s are just too big for my small ears. but the shure e2c with small foamies on the other hand are just perfect.

ah, i would highly advise against the e2c. they are really awful if you have anything decent to compare them against. I had a pair but only kept them for a few days, the SQ was intolerable. muddy and dark. E3c are significantly better sounding and still rugged. Etys are even better but are not suited for active use (walking, jogging, etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back