cheap amp for Sony CD3000
Mar 30, 2004 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

saint.panda

Headphoneus Supremus
I've recently purchased a pair of used Sony CD3000 and now looking for a decent amp <100$. I know that amps at this price range wont do them justice but I just need something go drive them properly and my supermini isnt quite up to the task.
I could also build an amp myself so diy suggestions are very welcome as well.
Any ideas on the cha47 or cmoy with buffers?

Mar 30, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #2 of 12
Not to bash your hope, but as im sure you have been informed numerous times, the cd3k are a very hard cans to drive. I doubt you will find an amp under $100 that will do anything for them. The cha47 and CMoy are good amps, but IMO, i doubt they will do any better than your super mini.

If anythinig, look for a META42, PIMETA, or go for a gilmore lite (if you can bump up your budget).

I hope i helped you a bit.
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2004 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 12
next step up i'd say is to save a bit more and look for a used pimeta or equivalent amp. you already have a supermini so you have an idea what a sub-$100 amp is like already. Don't waste your money on something that you'll probably regret later (in other words, feed the addiction and upgrade
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
)

Mar 30, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 12
Guess, I just can't escape upgraditis even if I fight it...

Mar 30, 2004 at 9:00 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by kedu
Let's get this right: You're looking for a $100 amp for your MSRP $700 headphones?

naw, it's just an interim solution till i build my ppa.

Mar 30, 2004 at 9:13 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by saint.panda
naw, it's just an interim solution till i build my ppa.

if you're able to build a ppa, you can easily build a good pimeta for 100$.

Cha-47 could be a bit harsh for headphones that don't need that. You could build a simple meta42-like amp on breadboard for around 50-75€, it could be nice.

If your source is good and has a full 2V output, you could also just try an unity gain current boosting device, with a pair of buffer by channel and a good power supply.

Mar 31, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #9 of 12
I second the Perreaux amp for the CD3K. Although, finding one will be difficult, but if you look hard enough..you will be reward with warm and very musical enjoyment.

Purk

Mar 31, 2004 at 1:50 AM Post #10 of 12
I agree with the Perreaux suggestions too. I also like the idea of a PPA w/Elpac, particularly one with OPA 627/637 opamps, IMO.

Mar 31, 2004 at 3:43 AM Post #12 of 12
The minimum for it, decent is the Perreaux, the rest IMO is a waste of money, as many ahd suggested already save a little bit more, and go for a little Perreaux, if portability is not an issue, if it is, the LaRocco Pocket reference is the other that crosses my mind right now....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back