Cheap Amp for KSC75?
Feb 28, 2006 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dkjohnso

100+ Head-Fier
So the recent threads about the 75 got me thinking I'd like to try it amped. But, spending $50+ on an amp for a $15 pair of cans makes no sense to me. Are there any cheaper amps out there that would do well with the 75? I would really like to build a CMOY, but just don't have the time. Thanks.

Feb 28, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #2 of 10
Look for a used Cmoy in the FS forum. I think I paid $38 for mine. But really $40 is about the cheapest you'll find any amp, even used. Do you own any other headphones, or plan on ever owning any others?
evil_smiley.gif
Because almost any headphone will derive at least a little benefit from an amp.

Feb 28, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
You are right in thinking that it doesn't make sense to amp them. The difference is very very very small.

I find that it smooths them out pretty noticably and adds a bit of bass extension. If you add a 75ohm adapter in-line with the amp it really makes them shine. Of course, at that point you aren't really talking about a $15 pair of headphones anymore.

Feb 28, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 10
IMHO you guys are making some very broad generalizations. It makes very good sense to amp them if your source is not up to snuff.

Dont think of the KSC75 as a junk $15 can (even though it really is
biggrin.gif
). IMHO performance - wise its more like a ~$40-$50 headphone. It scales up with amplification too. Compared to my portable MP3 sources the difference is very noticeable (I can go more into detail if you like), and worth the price of amplification.

Mint at 18Volts... hands down my favorite $50 amp for the koss.
biggrin.gif
Fits nicely in an altoids tin too with 2 9V cells.

anyways... IMHO of course
Garrett

Feb 28, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #8 of 10
If you want an ultra cheap mod that will make a noticable difference, go to RS and get a pair of these. Then cut a hole in the pad about the size of a soda bottle cap (in fact, that's what i used
tongue.gif
). You can do this with your stock pads but most prefer to keep them intact.

Feb 28, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
IMHO you guys are making some very broad generalizations. It makes very good sense to amp them if your source is not up to snuff.

Dont think of the KSC75 as a junk $15 can (even though it really is
biggrin.gif
). IMHO performance - wise its more like a ~$40-$50 headphone. It scales up with amplification too. Compared to my portable MP3 sources the difference is very noticeable (I can go more into detail if you like), and worth the price of amplification.

Mint at 18Volts... hands down my favorite $50 amp for the koss.
biggrin.gif
Fits nicely in an altoids tin too with 2 9V cells.

anyways... IMHO of course
Garrett

Good point...as usual.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mektarus
If you want an ultra cheap mod that will make a noticable difference, go to RS and get a pair of these. Then cut a hole in the pad about the size of a soda bottle cap (in fact, that's what i used
tongue.gif
). You can do this with your stock pads but most prefer to keep them intact.

x2... probably the quickest and easiest way to help clean up the Koss.

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back