Cheap amp for K701 up to $300
Sep 11, 2009 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

jeycam

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,
I'm going to get K701 soon and I'm looking for rather cheap amp for them. I'd like to spend no more than $300, the source would be TC-7520 (and perhaps Paradisea or Havana in the future). Any ideas?

Sep 12, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #2 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeycam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey,
I'm going to get K701 soon and I'm looking for rather cheap amp for them. I'd like to spend no more than $300, the source would be TC-7520 (and perhaps Paradisea or Havana in the future). Any ideas?

I love them with my Millett 'Starving Student' Hybrid. You can get one from Whiplash Audio.

I've also read good opinions about the pairing with the Little Dot MK II, though from the specs of the amp, it doesn't seem that it can drive all the juice out of the K701's.

Nevertheless, IMHO, such classy 'phones need a classy amplifier... I keep thinking about the Woo Audio 6 for them....

Cheers!

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #3 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_equalizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love them with my Millett 'Starving Student' Hybrid. You can get one from Whiplash Audio.

I've also read good opinions about the pairing with the Little Dot MK II, though from the specs of the amp, it doesn't seem that it can drive all the juice out of the K701's.

Nevertheless, IMHO, such classy 'phones need a classy amplifier... I keep thinking about the Woo Audio 6 for them....

Cheers!

I didn't think the K701 sounded good with my MK III so I would have doubts about the MK II. I'd look into some nice solid state amps. I've heard the Travagan's Red with the MS1 and thought it was great. I'd love to hear it with the K701.

Sep 12, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #4 of 28
a number of buffered op amp based designs are technically competent to drive K701: look for dual supplies +/-12V or 15 and >200mA output current

mini3, PPA DIY amps are occasionally sold
Meier HeadFive/Arietta used or current production Swing

Sep 12, 2009 at 10:52 AM Post #5 of 28
How about DIY SOHA II? I can buy it over here for quite a good price. And yeah, always wanted to try tubes, hehe.

Sep 12, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_equalizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Cheers!

Does WA6 without PSU have enough power to drive K701?

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by adam_eu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does WA6 without PSU have enough power to drive K701?

I asked Woo Audio about the WA6 output power they said it's 380mW at 32 Ohms, 200mW at 100 Ohms, with 6DE7 tubes. Considering the rated impedance (62 ohms) and the rated max power input (200mW) of the K701, it does look like it can drive them more than adequately.

Edit:
Quote:

How about DIY SOHA II? I can buy it over here for quite a good price. And yeah, always wanted to try tubes, hehe.

I just gave a quick look to the SOHA II docs, and it certainly looks very nice! It seems it can drive the K701's well too; the output buffer is said to be able to deliver between 60ma and 100mA of current, adjustable via a trimpot; and peak voltages of +14V !

Another cool thing about this amp is that you get to play around with tubes a bit, since the docs mention that you can use 12AU7, 12AT7 and 6922 double triodes.

Finally, you can read a review of the amp here.

I guess your best bet would be to try the amp with your 'phones, if possible, and hear how you like it.

Cheers!

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #9 of 28
FWIW, if at all possible, I would suggest trying to demo some amps with the 701s before buying. I've found my 702s fickle with my amps. They sound amazing with one (HR-2), but not that great with another (HA-2) which suprised me since I thought they would do fine with both.

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the K701 will be your main can then try the Heed CanAmp. There is a huge thread on this combo, use the search function to find it. Good luck.

X2.
Although it's over-budget, but CanAmp makes a fantastic combination with K701.

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWysokinski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2.
Although it's over-budget, but CanAmp makes a fantastic combination with K701.

He could buy the Heed CanAmp used!
icon10.gif

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He could buy the Heed CanAmp used!
icon10.gif

Indeed, this could solve the problem
k701smile.gif

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #13 of 28
Well, I'll start from the beginning. I dropped by an audio shop yesterday and listened to few headphones. The rig was Vincent CD-S1.1 and Yamamoto HA-02. I listened to HD600, HD650, HD800, K701 and GS1000i. As I found HD800 the best, these are "a bit" too expensive for me and I decided to go with K701 which has got quite similar sound signature. I'm going to buy them in the closest future, but I'm sure that my DAC can't drive them properly, that's why I'm looking for an amp to buy.
I'm not really convinced to the CanAmp, don't really know why. Well, I'll just have to drop by AdamWysokinki's place (as he lives not that far from me) and listen to his!
wink.gif

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

I'm not really convinced to the CanAmp, don't really know why. Well, I'll just have to drop by AdamWysokinki's place (as he lives not that far from me) and listen to his!
wink.gif

You are welcome. I offer good coffee or tea, well burnt-in K701, CanAmp and plenty of music
k701smile.gif

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

The rig was Vincent CD-S1.1 and Yamamoto HA-02. I listened to HD600, HD650, HD800, K701 and GS1000i.

BTW Would you summarize main differences between the last three cans you've listed? I still have not found free time to compare K701 with HD800 and while Grados don't interest me, HD800 are quite tempting. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back