Cheap amp for AKG 240 DF.
Nov 20, 2008 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Guest5

100+ Head-Fier
Just got a pair of these "legendary" headphones. They were at a very good price so decided to pick them up. I new they would sound weak with my AV-710 soundcard and indeed they do, the sound is very clean however, just like Etymotic ER4S. I once had a D311 Discman that did a good job driving the Etys and had a nice high-fidelity sound too, but it's broken now. Since then I'm bound to my Av710.
frown.gif

Back on the subject. I came here because I need an amp, more precisely an advice.
I know Chaintech AV 710 is already ampless to begin with and with a 600 Ohm headphone it seems ridiculous(some of you may say so, and it probably is) .

Please can you help me choose an amp? Any suggestion will be much appreciated. I am on tight budget though and here is the real problem(outside of being a noob too). I don't know what is likely my best bet, I can spend only $100. So what are my options? I bet any amp would do a much better job than that ampless Av 710 so I'll be happy.
Ebay is a good place to buy for me because I am from Eastern Europe, it should be easy, and because on ebay I can find cheap and pretty good solutions, am I right?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 37
I haven't heard the M model, but the DF is wonderful with tubes.

$100 is a tight budget for an amp. I don't know what's available in Europe, but in the US, old two channel receivers are plentiful. Some are very good with headphones, too. Here, they can be found well under $100 USD, and sometimes for free. Voltage requirements, shipping and FM tuning differences would make shipping one over a bad idea, but check your thrift and secondhand shops for one. Take your headphones along and try them out. Also, most come with a radio tuner and a phono preamp. While you're out looking, see if you can't find a turntable, as well. A new stylus, routine maintenance and a careful setup will make many decks sound terrific. If you're lucky, you can find a receiver, turntable and records under your budget.

Nov 20, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard the M model, but the DF is wonderful with tubes.

$100 is a tight budget for an amp. I don't know what's available in Europe, but in the US, old two channel receivers are plentiful. Some are very good with headphones, too. Here, they can be found well under $100 USD, and sometimes for free. Voltage requirements, shipping and FM tuning differences would make shipping one over a bad idea, but check your thrift and secondhand shops for one. Take your headphones along and try them out. Also, most come with a radio tuner and a phono preamp. While you're out looking, see if you can't find a turntable, as well. A new stylus, routine maintenance and a careful setup will make many decks sound terrific. If you're lucky, you can find a receiver, turntable and records under your budget.

Thanks a lot.

What about $500? I think $500 is a OK price for me.

Nov 20, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #5 of 37
I don't have a DF but I have a Sextett and it sounds wonderful with a Starving Student Millet Hybrid. It cost me around $60 to build mine. If you don't have tools that might push you over $100. You might be able to find someone to build one for you.

Nov 20, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 37
Uncle Erick, Really? I thought that receivers are not a good option for headphone amplification. They sound bad an are intended for speaker use primarily, headphone jack comes as a bonus, or something. ANd if there are good sounding receivers I can never know what are the good ones.

Amps like Creek OBH-11 and Cmoy amps and Little dot are weak for AKG 240 DF? I think they are pretty cheap(well some of them). Are those good enough??

-----------------------
Thanks, scompton. I will take into consideration and will try to get the optimal amp(I hope).

Nov 20, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 37
There are some very good receivers for driving headphones. There are a couple of threads on it. I use an NAD 3155 and it's very good for high impedance headphones like the AKGs. It's horrible for low impedance headphones, but I don't own any so it works fine for me.

Nov 20, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #8 of 37
Some receivers work well. The problem is that thousands of different ones have been made over the years, so it's difficult to know what works and what doesn't. The best way is to take your headphones with you and listen to any receiver you find. If it sounds good, buy it.

Though building an amp is a better option if you want to try it. You usually get a much better suited circuit and class A operation.

For $500 you can do pretty well. Take a look at the For Sale Forum - you can usually find a great deal on a good amp around that price.

Nov 20, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #9 of 37
NAD3155? Now that's a start! Thank you. I found one selling in my city but I don't know much it costs cause it's too late here and can't contact the seller.
There are also other receivers he's selling, can you tell me are those any good, I will quote his inventory:

---------------
HARMAN/KARDON (VINTAGE)

ROTEL RC1010 ( PRE AMP)

NAD 3155

... and other.
All used, but good condition.
---------------------
Are the two above NAD good as well? Also is there any other relatively good receivers I should take into consideration? Can I have the actual names please.

I am not after super high-fi sound. I want my music to sound decent, just that. If NAD 3155 + Chaintech Av710 with its Wolfson DAC will sound as good as my Sony D311 Discman I will be very, very pleased.

Nov 20, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #10 of 37
I tried DF with tubes - it was probably the best sonic experience I've ever had. I regret I had disassembled that amp and sold the phones (the soundstage wan't as coherent as of K501).
For K240Monitor I've built a simple portable amp based on two OP27's. Quite nice sound and extremely cheap even for DIY (a pair of 9V batteries to power it cost more). Should work good with K240DF, too.

Nov 21, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out the Little Dot I+, lots of info here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/new...9/index40.html
Lots of tube and opamp rolling options..
Ebay has them here for about $145 shipped..
Little Dot I+ Hybrid Tube Transistor Amp Amplifier! - eBay (item 190267697233 end time Dec-17-08 14:08:03 PST)

That Little Dot is looking good. As for DIY I have absolutely no idea how to do it, I have no experience. The secure choice would be to buy a ready to use amp. I am looking into Little Dots, they are known here for good quality so it makes the choice easier.

Nov 21, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by xrfxlove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think there are still some difference between K240M and DF. DF is a little harder to drive than M.

Having owned both at the same time I must say that they are equally hard to drive. DF version may be more sensitive to source/amp flaws due to more high frequency detail.

Nov 21, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #15 of 37
Isn't the I+ a little to weak to drive the 240df? I thought that had a 600 ohm impedance or something. I'd ask in the dedicated thread before buying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back