Cheap amp for AKG 240 DF.
Nov 21, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by xrfxlove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks a lot.

What about $500? I think $500 is a OK price for me.

WooAudio 3+

Nov 21, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akselpaksel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't the I+ a little to weak to drive the 240df? I thought that had a 600 ohm impedance or something. I'd ask in the dedicated thread before buying.

The Sextett, 240M and 240DF are all 600 ohm. The Sextett and the 240M are not really hard to drive though. For a year or more at work, I used a portable amp with a 12V wall wart to drive a Sextett. It was adequate. The starving student is better, but it's not a huge leap.

Nov 21, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #19 of 37
I went today and listened to an old Pioneer a-441 amplifier and boy was I disappointed. I don't know where to start even. The bass at last was there, smooth and yet precise. But it also was distorted in some places, I am sure that pioneer was faulty you could tell that by its looks(most likely they got it out from a dark, dark basement), also there was hiss and overall sound was not high fidelity at all. Chaintech AV710 sounds like spring birds comparing to that pioneer. More to it the sound was still weak, I think that headphone out was not able to drive the 240 DF properly.

As for NAD 3155 it costs 250 Euros(around $280) can you imagine that?? Those retailers... arghhhhhhh. This is frustrating. I can't resist much longer without hearing that beautiful bass again. Av710 gives almost no bass at all.

**edit**

scompton, Is Sextett available on ebay? I couldn't find it. Could you, please, give me more info on it, where I can find it, already assembled? An online store is welcome, one that accepts Visa, or Paypal?

Nov 21, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guest5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you, xrfxlove I will see if I can purchase.

ksc75smile.gif
Go and buy that one. Don't give me any chance to loss any more money
confused_face_2.gif

Nov 21, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Now I only have a Tomahawk.....and it should go...Tomahawak can't drive both of M and DF well.

I used the XM4 only with a wall wart. I never used it on battery because it only sounded good for an hour or two before the battery didn't have enough juice to drive the Sextett.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guest5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went today and listened to an old Pioneer a-441 amplifier and boy was I disappointed. I don't know where to start even. The bass at last was there, smooth and yet precise. But it also was distorted in some places, I am sure that pioneer was faulty you could tell that by its looks(most likely they got it out from a dark, dark basement), also there was hiss and overall sound was not high fidelity at all. Chaintech AV710 sounds like spring birds comparing to that pioneer. More to it the sound was still weak, I think that headphone out was not able to drive the 240 DF properly.

As for NAD 3155 it costs 250 Euros(around $280) can you imagine that?? Those retailers... arghhhhhhh. This is frustrating. I can't resist much longer without hearing that beautiful bass again. Av710 gives almost no bass at all.

**edit**

scompton, Is Sextett available on ebay? I couldn't find it. Could you, please, give me more info on it, where I can find it, already assembled? An online store is welcome, one that accepts Visa, or Paypal?

I bought my NAD at Goodwill for $15. I'd suggest shopping at thrift stores with a set of headphones if you want a vintage receiver.

The Sextett was the original version of the K240 and was made in the late 70s/early 80s. It's reputation here is that it's the best sounding of the K240s. They come up fairly often on eBay although they don't always say Sextett because it's not on the headphone. It was just labeled Sextett on the box. The key to look for is a silver ring and silver caps. One of the caps says 4-600 ohms. Here's 2 past auctions.

akg k240 - eBay (item 120326754550 end time Nov-07-08 02:27:35 PST)

AKG K240 Stereo Headphone Oldie but a Goodie - eBay (item 320316771473 end time Nov-11-08 15:36:47 PST)

Nov 21, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used the XM4 only with a wall wart. I never used it on battery because it only sounded good for an hour or two before the battery didn't have enough juice to drive the Sextett.

I[/url]

Let me try a pair new batteries for my Tomahawk.
wink_face.gif

Nov 21, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #25 of 37
So the sextett is a AKG 240 headphone? Haha.. my bad, thought it was an amp.
I am listening now using that same AV710 audiocard and I must say I am very impressed, I'd like to say in love. I reallly believe 240 DFs are as good as Ety ER4S. They have perfect midrange and highs, I can't hear much bass though and they sound a bit distant now(until I get an amp). The music just flooows so gently and so detailed, I get to hear everything, I can see now what Wolfson DAC can do too, AV710 sounds a lot better than audio cards at $40 price. A soft mood is so present within me (I listen to instrumental music mostly, also Jazz, Country and New Age). Listening to Ronan Hardiman, the CD has never sounded so good after I last time listened to it on D311 and Er4S. I have Senn HD497, PX100, Koss KSC75, KTX pro 1 and a couple pairs of not expensive inear and they don't come close to 240 DF even combined and even with such an impotent audiocard. I can't wait for my amp to arrive now.

P.S. I also appreciate the design of the 240 DFs, vintage... I love the look.

Nov 21, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #26 of 37
The K240DF is an excellent and underrated headphone. It'll really open up with a beefy amp. You can find some good designs in DIY, like the Starving Student suggested or SOHA, PPA, CKKIII, M^3 for higher level designs (cost more).

Nov 22, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K240DF is an excellent and underrated headphone. It'll really open up with a beefy amp. You can find some good designs in DIY, like the Starving Student suggested or SOHA, PPA, CKKIII, M^3 for higher level designs (cost more).

I am agree with this. but I'd like try the DIYs first before I buy it.
frown.gif

There are lots of good DIY but alos some not so good.

Nov 22, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #28 of 37
Quote:

I am agree with this. but I'd like try the DIYs first before I buy it.
frown.gif

There are lots of good DIY but alos some not so good.

Caught you on that one!
icon10.gif

Can I find out, please, what are the ones "not so good" so I better avoid?

I found myself a lot of DIY schematics for amps thinking it might be less expensive in the end. I'll show them to someone who really understands the stuff and hopefully he does something good with it- an amp for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 22, 2008 at 9:04 AM Post #30 of 37
I am looking for the M^3, but I can't find it using the search function. You have to know that I am a newcomer to hi-fi world and headphone amps and I don't know what you mean if you use abbreviation. I would really love to find the schematic and parts list for M^3. If it's simple to build like a CMOY, or a Starving Student then I might try it myself.

P.S. Is Millet Hybrid Maxed a good upgrade over the Starving Student? I have found a webpage with lots of info on it. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back