Chassis source in the US?
Sep 22, 2009 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Dougie085

Head-Fier
I know of par-metal and what not but I'm curious if there is anyone in the states offering high end thick aluminum chassis like those that HiFi-2000 and ATI were offering? I really don't want to pay 200 bucks to ship some stuff from Europe. If I had more space I'd purchase a table saw and make my own unfortunately that's not an option right now.

Thanks!

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #2 of 44
There was once diyenclosures.com. But he is just liquidating his very limited remaining stock now.

Other than that there is the nice Dissipator series from Teko Enclosures but only 1U height. The 19" rack series still look good.

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #3 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf18t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There was once diyenclosures.com. But he is just liquidating his very limited remaining stock now.

Other than that there is the nice Dissipator series from Teko Enclosures but only 1U height. The 19" rack series still look good.

Hum, this teko look WAY TOO SIMILAR to Italian Modu models ...

Sep 22, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #5 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by komi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hum, this teko look WAY TOO SIMILAR to Italian Modu models ...

For good reason... they are Modu enclosures (imported).

Sep 22, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #6 of 44
Hmm I wonder if they are able to get the other models then... I was originally going to buy some from DIYchassis LLC but they've been in their current state for quite some time. 1U high might work ok for the EHHA and what not. Certainly won't work for any power amps or anything though. I wonder why they only import that model.

Sep 22, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 44
Yeah the Hammond chassis aren't quite what I'm looking for. If I were going to do that I'd more then likely just grab a par-metal enclosure with new front and rear panels custom machined. The Hammond extruded enclosures are nice but not big enough.

Sep 22, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #9 of 44
The Teko rackmount enclosures that wolf linked to are up to 4U in height... Does anyone know the base/panel thickness of these?

Sep 23, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #10 of 44
I think those are pretty similar to the Par-metal rack mount enclosures. Think they are steel as well? Even the front panel isn't that thick. Kind of annoying that there isn't a good source for high end high quality aluminum enclosures here in the state.

Sep 23, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #12 of 44
Thanks you for that!

Those Lansing Enclosures look fantastic. The B Style grey box rack mount enclosures (ears removable) seem to be just what I need! Appears most of the panels are made of 1/8" thick aluminum except the top and bottom. I'll have to look into pricing now but I think this could easily be what I'm looking for. These coupled with some custom 10mm thick front panels should look fantastic.

Sep 23, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #13 of 44
I got me Modu anclosure for preamplifier some time ago:

You can see PCB mounted on the bottom of MODU anclosure:

1.jpg

I made custom wood faceplate:

prea01.jpg

prea02.jpg

Drilled and engraved rear panel:

prea03.jpg

... after all, you are buying alumim side panels [not bad] brushed anodized aluminum front and rear panels and steel painter top and bottom ...

I dont like quality too much, looks more like industial anclosure then audio, i am gonna try FrontPanel Express anclosure next time, with all aluminum panels, and side panels have more rails for PCBs then MODU ...

I think Modu is overpriced, and have some things i dont like, you can even see marks on front and rear panels from machining - not too good way to mount top and bottom panels, i dont like this top and bottom panels overlaping etc ...

If you need FrontPanel express panels you should probably go for complete enclosure from them ... But - i dont see no one yet, will try for next project!

Sep 23, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #14 of 44
For you guys outside Europe I can imagine that the prices of HiFi-2000 (Modu) can be on the high side due to expensive shipping cost (and maybe import tax).
But for us in Europe, it’s dirt cheap that sometimes it feels like stealing.

Agreed that the stock parts of the HiFi-2000 enclosures (top, bottom and faceplate) are nothing special, however they do have optional aluminium top, bottom and faceplate which are very nice to my opinion. The appearance can be much nicer comparing to the stock ones.

There are also several other Europeans vendors with very nice aluminium enclosures, but for you guys over there I’m afraid that the (final) prices are again on the high side.
tongue.gif

Sep 23, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #15 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferrari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For you guys outside Europe I can imagine that the prices of HiFi-2000 (Modu) can be on the high side due to expensive shipping cost (and maybe import tax).
But for us in Europe, it’s dirt cheap that sometimes it feels like stealing.

Agreed that the stock parts of the HiFi-2000 enclosures (top, bottom and faceplate) are nothing special, however they do have optional aluminium top, bottom and faceplate which are very nice to my opinion. The appearance can be much nicer comparing to the stock ones.

There are also several other Europeans vendors with very nice aluminium enclosures, but for you guys over there I’m afraid that the (final) prices are again on the high side.
tongue.gif

Hum, looks to me like you have Galaxy Maggiorato GX388 330 x 280 mm : Euro 29,10

Front plate is 10mm thick for Galaxy Maggiorato GX388 : Euro 14,00

Top and Bottom 2mm thick for Galaxy Maggiorato GX388 : Euro 12,00 x2 = Euro 24

Shipping : Euro 15,00

+ 20% tax. : All together Euro 98.52

Not really dirt cheap but not too bad after all .. 145 U$ shipped to Europe !

Without Tax, shipped to USA - 133.1 Euro - what is 196.84 U$ ! 50 $ more then in Europe .. Why they charge 66 Euros to ship to USA, is that exepnsive ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back