Charlotte, NC meet April 19, 2014 <> meet impressions
Apr 19, 2014 at 6:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

fatcat28037

Headphoneus Supremus
This meet had the best attendance of any North Carolina meet to date with 23 head-fier sharing their gear. Three vendors were in attendance, Frank from WyWires, Justin from HeadAmp and Dan from Mr. Speakers. Josh & I would like to thank the vendors for joining us, sharing their knowledge and for their very generous financial support which is greatly appreciated.

And of course pictures...................http://www.head-fi.org/g/a/871235/2014-charlotte-meet-at-cornelius-days-inn-4-19-14/

Apr 19, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #2 of 44
Not only were the vendors generious with financial support, so were all you Head-fiers. So much so that I collected $121.00 more than the cost of the meet.
What I'd like to do is hold the money and offer it to the organizers of the next North Carolina meet. If anyone has another suggestion let me know.

Apr 19, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 44
At one point I counted about 45 in attendance which included head-fiers and their guests. 

All in all it was a great meet and kudos to the organizers Josh and Alex. Also, a special thank you to the vendors mentioned above for their effort in joining us. 

I wonder when the next one will be. 

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 44
Thank you Alex and Josh for putting this together, and thank you to everyone who shared their gear. I'm glad I finally got a chance to listen to a great variety of headphones which really helped me decide my flavor of sound. I was also excited of all the positive comments my Lyr/ Bifrost received and I was even more excited to try so many great headphones on it! We enjoyed our time, looking forward to the next one!

Apr 20, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #5 of 44
This was my first meet and I had an excellent time.  Thanks for showing us all the nice gear and awesome equipment guys!  Unfortunately I left early because one of my friends from SC wanted to do lunch ASAP
frown.gif
.  Also, you guys have great taste in music!

Apr 20, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #6 of 44
Had a great time, thanks to Josh and Alex and all the vendors. Only snapped a few pics with my phone, was too busy talking to folks and checking out rigs. Impressions to come

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #9 of 44
Fun times!

Thank you everyone for bringing interesting gear and impressions.  Special thanks to Alex, Josh, and the vendors. Here are the pics I took:

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #10 of 44
What a great meet. Special thanks to Alex & Josh for all the time and effort spent in setting up and organizing it. Got lots of chances to listen to gear that I've been reading about but hadn't actually heard. I found that the various electrostats I listened to weren't really my cup of tea but I was surprised how much I liked the Alpha Dogs, especially considering their price. One thing that became clear as I auditioned different rigs is that my WA22/HD800 setup, while having clear and deep bass, is a little lightweight in the lower regions. I bought the WA22 after listening to Alex's at last years meet and wasn't really seriously considering getting something else buuuuutt.....    Justin from HeadAmp brought along the GS-X MK2, an amp which keeps getting mentioned on Head-Fi as a good match for my HD800's. It seemed to provide a little fuller bass than my WA22 but in general, I found that in switching back and forth between my amp and the GS-X I didn't hear any really compelling reason to buy one. Before anyone jumps down my throat, I realize that with show conditions, background noise and a limited time to listen I didn't really get the full measure of the GS-X. But then I tried the Audyssey LCD-3's with the GS-X. Show conditions or not, all I can say about that combo is Wow, just Wow. I'm not going to get rid of my Woo, my speaker setup is all Audio Research as I'm a tube guy at heart, but the GS-X/LCD-3's will be with me at next years meet. Thanks again to everyone involved.

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #11 of 44
What a great meet!  It was great to catch-up with some old buddies and meet some new ones.  Look forward to the next one!

Apr 20, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #12 of 44
Many of these pics are repeats, but I think that is ok. Thank you so much for putting this meet together, and it was great to see such good attendance with such a good variety of gear. I enjoyed the time discussing various aspects of audio with several guys, but I didn't get to hear as much as I would have wanted....just didn't manage the time as well as I would have liked to.

I certainly liked the AKG K812's......if I were in the market for headphones, this would be a pair that I would need to spend some time with.

I loved the pairing of the Fostex with the Danny's Moth - fabulous! Unfortunately, I didn't know anything about the Cavalli until Mark mentioned it, and I have been kicking myself for not listening to that amp. I'm not sure what opportunity I will have to listen to the Liquid Glass......may have to do some searching based on Sonido's and LNCPapa's feedback. I also liked the Fostex and the AKG's on the Mark's WA7 Fireflies - of course, his great music added to that experience.

It was great seeing a couple of the folks that were at the Winston meet from last year, and it was a treat to meet Marty as well. Awesome time - ready for the next one!

Apr 20, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #13 of 44
I had a great time meeting so many of you, and dinner was fun! See you next year!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 20, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #14 of 44
I had a great time meeting so many of you, and dinner was fun! See you next year!

Agreed! And thanks again for coming out!

Two quick questions:

1) What were the tubes you had in your Liquid Glass?
2) What is the name of that scotch you had us try?
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #15 of 44

Agreed! And thanks again for coming out!

Two quick questions:

1) What were the tubes you had in your Liquid Glass?
2) What is the name of that scotch you had us try?
biggrin.gif

The GE 6GU7 was the tube that had the heftier bass impact, and the CBS Hytron 12SN7GT was the one with the greater detail and soundstage.

Oban was the Scotch...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back