Charles Hansen of ayre thinks ALL processors and receivers are subpar.
Feb 27, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ayre has a Blue Ray player now?

se

Yes, the DX-5, but it is a oppo that has been modded, its only 2CH analog out, the digital section is 100% the same as the oppo and they are still only using 24bit DAC's.

Feb 27, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by SB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its to show you what the owners of high end audio companies think and to show you how little they know.

Yes, the linked thread offers a welcome opportunity to study the mindset of an audio manufacturer. But the way you present this topic is plainly exploitative. A high-end manufacturer charging an exorbitant sum for an oppo mod may be a questionable practice, however it's not a license for petty mudslinging over all the dubious opinions held by its chief engineer, especially in an unfamiliar forum where he doesn't have a chance to reply.

edit: at least offer Hansen the courtesy of removing his name from the title of this thread so it doesn't get its rank boosted on google

Feb 27, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SB, I just read your thread that was closed http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f133/a...0-oppo-459204/

What I want to know is how much does it cost for parts and labor for their modifications? Whether something is a rebadge or not isn't what is important, what is important is whether the modifications are worth the extra cost. And kudos to you for telling people about this.

I have asked charles how much and he has yet to give a figure, charles goes on and on about how his mods inprove this and that yet he has not even measured the DX-5 performance. I posted up how he is so concerned about jitter and the importance of jitter yet he has not even measured it, I found that rather odd.

AVS Forum - View Single Post - Ayre DX-5 bluray player

Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode
Yes, the linked thread offers a welcome opportunity to study the mindset of an audio manufacturer. But the way you present this topic is plainly exploitative. A high-end manufacturer charging an exorbitant sum for an oppo mod may be a questionable practice, however it's not a license for petty mudslinging over all the dubious opinions held by its chief engineer, especially in an unfamiliar forum where he doesn't have a chance to reply.

edit: at least offer Hansen the courtesy of removing his name from the title of this thread so it doesn't get its rank boosted on google

Since one can not discuss this on AVS, they have a real soft spot for high end audio or they are getting nice fat checks from these companies like most review sites, I have to discuss it else where. Charles has followed me around trying to defend the DX-5 with simple posts but since he can not discuss anything that will defend the price of the DX-5 he leaves rather quick.

I tried to discuss the power supply and DAC configuration with him but I honestly think he does not understand what if any difference there can be. I tried to discuss jitter with him and he himself had no clue on how jitter impacts the perfromance of a DAC let alone when it is audible. Charles is a peddler of his wares and will say anything to make his equipment look good.

Feb 27, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode /img/forum/go_quote.gif

.....I suggest you to do some research on this Hansen guy.

deadhorse.gif

Feb 27, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #22 of 37
Funny thing is I took alot of slack about being the first to point out that the lexicon BD-30 was a rebadged oppo and when it was finally proven 100% I received no apologies or credit. Same with the theta digital compli blu and now with the ayre DX-5. I tried to talk charles into sending a DX-5 into audioholics but he was adamantly against that so he will just stick to biased high end review sites.

Feb 27, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

deadhorse.gif

He posts over at audio asylum, enough said. I wonder if charles gets a teleportation tweak from machina dynamica for all his equipment?

Feb 27, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by SB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He posts over at audio asylum, enough said. I wonder if charles gets a teleportation tweak from machina dynamica for all his equipment?

Maybe, but he probably has better ideas such as pure-neutron-shielded interconnects.

Should be regarded as nothing more than a joke, but thing is this guy is from one of those called "high-end" audio makers.

Feb 27, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

Maybe, but he probably has better ideas such as pure-neutron-shielded interconnects.

Should be regarded as nothing more than a joke, but thing is this guy is from one of those called "high-end" audio makers.

ayre home

If one thinks that $10,000 for a oppo is a lot you should check out his other used cars.

Feb 27, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #26 of 37
Ayre Accessory Page

Quote:

This disc is designed to enhance the listening enjoyment of your audio system.

The main tool is a five minute glide tone, that when played through your system at a moderately low listening volume, will improve its sound. While we don't have conclusive proof of the mechanism involved, we suspect that it functions by demagnetizing residual fields that build up in your components over time. We recommend playing this track on a periodic basis, from perhaps once a week to once a month. We put this track at the end of the disc so that it can be easily played even if the system is unattended. The other tracks have more specialized functions.

Ayre Accessory Page

Quote:

Used as supports under audio components or cables.

Maximize the performance of any audio component or cable with the Ayre myrtle wood blocks. Slightly taller than the original feet on Ayre equipment, they are designed to be placed directly between the chassis of any audio component and its support shelf. The notched blocks provide isolation for interconnects, speaker cables or power cords. You'll be captivated with the improved musicality these wood blocks provide.

Feb 28, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #27 of 37
"While we don't have conclusive proof of the mechanism involved, we suspect ..." - LOL

btw, you should join team snake oil
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

deadhorse.gif

I have, or at least I think I have, after trudging through a large portion of the avsforum thread. There's a tactful way to handle criticism of high end b.s. that doesn't involve the raking across the coals of someone's name along with their pseudoscientific assertions.

What's odd is that he doesn't even appear to need any introduction, nor any of the other players. It's like I just walked in on some gossiping at a bizarro family reunion.

Feb 28, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have, or at least I think I have, after trudging through a large portion of the avsforum thread. There's a tactful way to handle criticism of high end b.s. that doesn't involve the raking across the coals of someone's name along with their pseudoscientific assertions.

What's odd is that he doesn't even appear to need any introduction, nor any of the other players. It's like I just walked in on some gossiping at a bizarro family reunion.

Argh, his rumblings on AVS forum is.... just part of what he has contributed to so called..... internet high-end audio knowledge.

tongue_smile.gif

jecklinsmile.gif

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back