Charging for email?
Jul 3, 2007 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kool bubba ice

Headphoneus Supremus
The USPS claims its losing revenue due to people using email.. & would like to charge 5 cents per email.. Not sure if this was discused before.. Its been a while since I heard about it.. Got the idea from the USPS thread.

Jul 3, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hoax.

http://www.snopes.com/business/taxes/bill602p.asp

actually.....that would be an awesome idea if the government started charging people who send spam e-mail to you....always in the guise of "RE:" And then the first sentence of the e-mail is finanicial oportunity. Then of course there's the enlargement pills, hot and horny women, and poor old rich kids who need your money to transfer their money to the states. My e-mail accounts have gotten pretty good about putting those in my junk folder.....but it would be great if we just got rid of them!!! I'm for all sticking it to those weasels!!!!

Jul 4, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #5 of 13
They've talked about micropayments to prevent spam. Say, half or even a tenth of a cent per email. It wouldn't mean much to people using email for keeping in touch with their mom or friends, but it'd put a hurt on those blasting out kajillions of spams a day, make it less profitable to do.

Jul 4, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They've talked about micropayments to prevent spam. Say, half or even a tenth of a cent per email. It wouldn't mean much to people using email for keeping in touch with their mom or friends, but it'd put a hurt on those blasting out kajillions of spams a day, make it less profitable to do.

Who is "they"?

Jul 4, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #7 of 13
USPS would never do such a thing. They make good money as it is with their outstanding shipping service.

Jul 4, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who is "they"?

People trying to come up with ideas to reduce or eliminate spam. Sorry.

The USPS doesn't give a crap. I don't think it's a for-profit operation anyway, so if nobody wanted to mail anything anymore, they'd happily close it down (well happily other than for the postal employees).

Jul 4, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's the American way.

Having a government subsidized postal program that charges you only 41 cents to ship a letter from Maine to Los Angeles? I think it's the American way, too, but for different reasons.

Jul 4, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
actually.....that would be an awesome idea if the government started charging people who send spam e-mail to you....always in the guise of "RE:" And then the first sentence of the e-mail is finanicial oportunity. Then of course there's the enlargement pills, hot and horny women, and poor old rich kids who need your money to transfer their money to the states. My e-mail accounts have gotten pretty good about putting those in my junk folder.....but it would be great if we just got rid of them!!! I'm for all sticking it to those weasels!!!!

The government doesn't need to be involved in the process at all. Companies can (and do) pay users to receive e-mail advertising.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back