Characteristics of Open Headphones
Jan 31, 2013 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

seag33k

100+ Head-Fier
I was reading another thread and someone recommend the Q701s so I read a review about them.  They sound like nice headphones so I wondered what sort of characteristics do open vs. closed headphones have?  I was a bit concerned by how delicate these cans seem to be by design since I'd have to put them in a safe with a child in the house 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
I was reading another thread and someone recommend the Q701s so I read a review about them.  They sound like nice headphones so I wondered what sort of characteristics do open vs. closed headphones have?  I was a bit concerned by how delicate these cans seem to be by design since I'd have to put them in a safe with a child in the house 
smily_headphones1.gif

I wouldn't be concerned on how delicate they are, it really depends on the individual design/material and not so much if they are closed or open.
The important thing is the isolation factor, since some will be like having a little speaker outside your headphones, and they won't block any outside sounds.

Which becomes an issue with small children.
size]

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 7
It's a bit of a stretch trying to categorize all open headphones, because the driver technology is key.

However open designs in general are desired for purist audiophile applications, because it significantly reduces the need to damp the drivers for proper decay and resonance control, as excess energy could largely just escape into the open air rather than get trapped inside the cups.

Which means in general, open headphones done right will have a cleaner sound than their closedback equivalents, better decay, less cup resonance, translates to better transparency because you don't have junk sound waves masking actual music details, and overall a more "open-sounding" signature with more coherent soundstage that doesn't feel artificial.

However the vast majority of performance difference still comes intrinsic with the specific driver types and designs. Namely things like voice-coil dynamics vs planar (electrostatic or magnetic), size of diaphragms, etc.

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for all the great reply's.  I like the idea of having a more "open" sound when I have piece and quiet and the closed cans for when I am around the family :)

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #7 of 7
What are some of the reference cans in the approximately $200 - $300 range?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back