Changing the sound of HD-600
May 10, 2002 at 5:37 PM Post #16 of 26
I also became a little bit annoyed at the slightly overbearing bass of my HD600s. I was feeding my phones from the headphone jack of my very ordinary and humble integrated amplifier (with a supposedly high output impedance).

About six months ago I tried replacing the foam pads with thin nylon cloth (just to protect the elements from earwax etc.). The results were as expected: because there was more treble and upper midrange, the relative amount of bass diminished and the sound became somewhat leaner and tighter.

For a couple of days I liked the sound. But then doubts started to creep in: something was missing. The sound was more detailed, yes, but also a bit hard and hollow. The wonderful naturalness of the mid-range became just too “sharp” to suit my tastes.

I ended up putting the foam pads back in place. I am tempted to think that the foam pads are there for a reason. Could their function be compared to that of the internal damping in loudspeakers?

I have tried feeding my HD600s both from the output of my no-name soundcard and from the headphone jack of a cheap cd-player (with supposedly lower output impedances). Result: the bass was again leaner and tighter.

I would be very interesting to try Corda HA-1 with its “0 ohm” output impedance. However, with the Corda it is not possible to try before you buy (please, correct me if I am wrong here). Has anyone made any specific comparisons / measurements / calculations: how much will the bass (around 100 Hz) be attennuated compared to a typical headphone jack (120 ohm or more)? I would be grateful for any information.

Regards,

L.

May 10, 2002 at 6:27 PM Post #17 of 26
...not stockings were meant,
tongue.gif
but white nylon silk fabric – ore even better: no dust protection cover at all!

By the way: it isn't a Thinkpad, but the headphones out of a SB Live Platinum...
biggrin.gif

To be honest: in the last time I was used to listen to MP3 music from my PC's HDD
cool.gif
– often parallel to work. A real pleasure with the HD 600's vivid and unfatiguing sound. But the change against the Etymotic brought an impressive improvement in all matters, especially resolution...

Well, on my stereo equipment I'm used to listen to the sound of my best electrostatic headphones. The Etymotics have now become a serious rival... so I extrapolated the HD 600 to be clearly below both of them...

And here comes my confession: connected to the Musical Fidelity X-Cans, the sound is great – nearly no wishes remaining. But yes: frequency response below 80 Hz could be flatter, and so above 10 kHz – in my ears.

Can the X-Cans exhaust the potential of the Sennheiser? Or is there an amp which can make more of it? (Corda Headamp-1, Headroom [Total Airhead, or BlockHead?]..., Grado...?)

JaZZ

May 13, 2002 at 6:59 AM Post #19 of 26
Hello people!

Last weekend I tried put the foams originally placed between driver and ear to a new position: into the back grill - the rear side of driver. Sonically, there's little change. Maybe even less bass, maybe!!! smoother upper mids and almost!! unchanged top end.
But by measurement using condenser mike, comparing to the naked version (no foam at all) I saw there's about 0.5 to 1 dB attenuation of bass region, the bass hump now seems flatter. The BIG CHANGE came in looks! They look (at least for me) nicer than the naked driver under the rear grill.

Just love them more than before. If you have any opinion/experience with non-destructive mods, please post them.

Your
Moonwalker

May 13, 2002 at 11:22 PM Post #20 of 26
Lol, ive already ruined a pair of KSC-35's from modding...im not about to do it to my beloved HD600's. Besides, if there is anything that would have possibly improved the sound, sennheiser would've already done it. I know i sound conservative when I say this, but I paid waaay too much for those...to just start experimenting with them.

May 14, 2002 at 1:48 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
Besides, if there is anything that would have possibly improved the sound, sennheiser would've already done it

But that's what people probably said about the 580! If Sennheiser comes out with the HD650 which sounds better and has the foam pieces removed, you read it here first!
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2002 at 8:06 AM Post #22 of 26
Hi, people!

Well, last week I've been using the foams on the outer side of HD600, listening for changes it made. Now, after 5 days, I can say although I liked how it looks with the foamies under the grill, I decided to return the flat foams back where they were placed by Sennheiser. At lower volumes, when I can talk with my wife, the bass hump helps like loudness circuit for fuller sound and I often listen at soft levels. The extra detail without foam I'll miss, but, the sound seems to be smoother with that foam pad inside. Again, I changed my mind, trying what's best for me and finally found the HD600 somehow lost it's magic when modded.

Looking forward for any inspiration how to make the HD600 sound even better (reversible mods only, not expensive like new amps etc...)

Bye
Moonwalker

Jun 19, 2002 at 5:56 AM Post #23 of 26
Hi!

Yesterday I did measurement using sweep tones with my HD-600 in 3 configurations:

1. Foam in original position inside the earcup
2. Foam removed
3. Foam in the back grille

Results:

The config no. 1 has the flattest response and less peaks (not by much) than the other two setups.

Next in this way is config no. 3 - more peaks in high range

The last one is config no. 2 - the same peaks and slightly wild upper midrange.

I returned to the original setup from factory ( I hope forever
wink.gif
)
and found that most satisfying to my ears in the long run.

PS: Even modding is sometimes not enough to outperform settings from great factory.
smily_headphones1.gif

Your
Moonwalker

Jun 19, 2002 at 1:31 PM Post #24 of 26
Here's another couple of mods you can all try.

MOD # 1:

-Remove the foam pads. Remove the rear grills.

-Place the foam pads over the rear area and press rear grills back on. This will require some force.

-Place headphones on head.

-Listen to some music.

-Notice the bass hump is now different.

MOD # 2:

-Remove cable. Remove rear grilles. Remove drivers.

-Reconnect cable to drivers.

-Put drivers in mouth and close mouth.

-Turn volume on source up fairly high.

-Press PLAY (on CD player).

-Soundstaging suffers but feel the wicked bass vibrations.

Jun 22, 2002 at 1:45 AM Post #26 of 26
This mod suggested by moonwalker seems relatively easy to perform. But I kind of agree with TimSchirmer that no mods need to be done on expensive cans unless if you believe you have skilled hands. Besides, he has got the point. The manufactor would have done it themselves if the mod would improve the sonic enjoyment significantly. They cound easily introduce a new model or call it signature edition just by making mods on the HD600 and give it a facelift.

I will never have the guts to do what JAZZ did to his ETYs. JAZZ I really respect you!!!
eek.gif
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back