Changing the sound of HD-600
May 10, 2002 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Moonwalker

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

From some post in the past few days, I read something about removing the foam pad inside the earcup of HD600. I told to myself many times: You will not change ANYTHING on that gem (HD600)!!! But, after some time, I decided to go!

It's easy to remove and reinstall the velour pads, so I removed the foam covering the driver and vinyl second diaphragm. On one earpiece only! Compared... More detail, less bass, but only by nuance. Comfort unchanged, my ear never touch the now hard inside of earcup.

Next step: sweep tone measurement by AKG C1000S mike. Results are: Bass atennuated by some 1-2 dB, mids almost the same (1dB tolerance changes), trebles above 15000Hz boosted by about 1,5 dB.

This makes the sound less forgiving to bad records, maybe more fatiguing, more 'bright' sound towards STAX, as I remember, highs are certainly less 'veiled', bass hump around 150-200 Hz is less massive. In general, more balanced sound, like speakers when you remove the front grills, you hear the diaphragm directly, without any damping material in front of it. When the driver is quality one, there's no need to cover them and damp them.

I suspect the thin foam makes more bass, less treble, maybe smooth out lower mids and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, covers the driver for protection! When you are careful like me, you can try it and decide by yourself.

Happy listening.
Your
Moonwalker

May 10, 2002 at 6:33 AM Post #2 of 26
personally I prefer the HD580s with the foam removed, mainly because the midbass hump is reduced. Thanks for that info!

May 10, 2002 at 7:50 AM Post #3 of 26
Hi, Neruda!

You're welcome!
BTW, I use creek OBH 11SE amp, and standard cables for the 600.
Yes, I know, cheap, but I wanted clean sound and simply cannot afford the Max. (I need money for other purposes too -
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Anyone else any comments, experiences with modding the 600?

Any suggestion very appreciated!

Your
Moonwalker

May 10, 2002 at 8:12 AM Post #4 of 26
...that was one thing I soon did after purchase – expecting a clearer sound. And that's what actually happened. In order to restore protection, i installed a nylon silk fabric instead. This improved the sound once again a little bit compared with the naked cans.

All in all, the removing of the foam was an important step towards a refinement of sound and has freed especially the treble from some slight harshness or dullness.

biggrin.gif
JaZZ

May 10, 2002 at 9:19 AM Post #5 of 26
Moonwalker
I hope Audio&Me doesn't read this.
He is a fine shot.
And doesn't like people messin with the HD600.
wink.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Setmenu

Team flat things

May 10, 2002 at 9:58 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by setmenu
Moonwalker
He is a fine shot.
And doesn't like people messin with the HD600.
wink.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Setmenu

Team flat things

That seems to me to be a good reason to try it.

May 10, 2002 at 10:03 AM Post #7 of 26
" Moonwalker
He is a fine shot.
And doesn't like people messin with the HD600. "

Hi!

Well, I could understand when he doesn't like people messin' with HIS HD600! But when I purchased them, I thought they're MINE!
biggrin.gif

Now to the point: I was trying to show you some more info how can sound be changed using fully reversible mod and hoped for other people's info as well.
confused.gif

So sorry to all of you when you are feeling upset I changed 'phones in my possesion! I can't help but I feel I like the sound more now.

Any tweaker info welcome!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanx, JaZZ, for that post. Where you taken that material from?

Your
Moonwalker

May 10, 2002 at 10:31 AM Post #8 of 26
moonwalker and JaZZ can you guys post some pics of these mods?
the bass hump and veiled treble seem to be the two areas where HD600s have got criticized a lot. And people it seems have spent lots of money on powerful amps and new cables to correct these problems.
Would be great if this small mod can help in some way
thanx
RawHit
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2002 at 12:10 PM Post #9 of 26
Hi, rawhit!

Sorry I break your expectations, but I don't have digital camera, so it is almost impossible for me to send photo to this place. But, I'll try to explain how it looks.

1. remove velour pad off the earcup of the 580/600 (easy step - you'll need only small force applied and that ring hops into your hand
cool.gif
)

2. the foam pad is flat eliptical black thing free laying on driver top housing. just remove it with 2 fingers.

3. place velour circular pads back in place - they are symmetrical and cannot be placed wrong way. they snap more easily now, without the black foam pads inside.

Hope that help you. Try it, don't worry, you cannot break them this way. It's like the standard velour pad / foam pad replacing procedure.

Your
Moonwalker

May 10, 2002 at 2:22 PM Post #10 of 26
...for some misinformation: it wasn't the HD 600 to profit from the nylon silk fabric, but actually the HD 520 – which I have given to my son David...

The HD 600 definitely sounds better without any foam or fabric cover. But another thing which I tried out successfully was to cover up the backwards-showing segment of the three third-circle segments surrounding the inner circle of the middle hole (which all are now open) by some self-adhesive foil, e.g. velours. This makes the treble sound a bit smoother without losing accuracy and resolution.

As said from Moonwalker, Neruda and Rawhit, the HD 580 doesn't suffer from the midbass hump and therefore sounds like having more deep bass than the HD600 (in my recollection) – that's why I regret to have them sold four, five years ago. Although the HD 600's resolution capabilities surpass those of the 580, there is still a slight discontent concerning this matter, especially with classical music.

That's why I wonder how some people compare the HD 600 with electrostatics. From my point of view – as owner of three electrostatic headphones – there's still a considerable difference, in contrast, e.g., to the Etymotic ER-4s... Even the Grados have a slightly higher resolution, although in dynamics and accuracy the Sennheiser is better, as well as concerning the lack of colorations.

biggrin.gif
JaZZ

May 10, 2002 at 2:38 PM Post #11 of 26
I wonder if those who claim the HD600 are veiled simply like their treble forward and exaggerated (bright) as in "aware of its presense" because they are listening for it. Resolution, blah blah blah, it's all there! The treble doesn't draw attention to itself which is the way it should be. The midbass however is annoying on weak amps which fail to balance the sound.

May 10, 2002 at 2:53 PM Post #12 of 26
...Audio&Me,

how different opinions can be...
biggrin.gif
But I really like the HD 600, too!

JaZZ

May 10, 2002 at 3:13 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
The midbass however is annoying on weak amps which fail to balance the sound.

Which is why I would never recommend the HD600 to someone without a good headphone amp.

May 10, 2002 at 4:21 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by DeanA

Which is why I would never recommend the HD600 to someone without a good headphone amp.

I suggest a Thinkpad instead, with mp3 and not CDs with HD600 cups covered with stockings.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back