Changing Hair Colors over time naturally
Mar 31, 2004 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

KR...

Curator of the Headphone Lust Museum
I sure hope this thread doesn't get moved.
redface.gif

Anyway, does anyone know exactly why someone's hair changes color? By that I don't mean just turning Grey when you get older, though I would like to know why that happens too but in other ways.

Many babies are born with blond hair but it turns brown or even black as they get older. This could be only after a few haircuts or a few years later or even once they hit puberty or even as late as their 20's!

This happen to me, I was born with blond hair and it lasted only about 3 years then it turn light brown. I just saw pics.

Some people's hair also change color when they let it grow out, it thens to get lighter the longer it gets, it can turn from black or brown to red or blond.

This happens to me as well, my hair starts to get from light brown to a dirty blond the longer it gets, I got a haircut and now it's back to being brown.

There are also cases of sun bleaching as well, where black or drown hair can turn red or yellow.

My hair was turning light yellow when I was at vacation last year, and I had a hat on most of the time. My Body hair, on my arms turn bright yellow since it was exposed more to the sun. This can also be called Beach blonds, which refers to people who are only blonds because they spend so much time at beaches.

Anyway, the other examples before are not because of sun beaching but something else.

Does this happen to anyone here?

So scientifically speaking, what is going on here?

Mar 31, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 11
I'm kind of curious myself...I was bleach blonde when I was younger, now its closer to a dirty-blonde shade, though in the summer the sun usually brings my bleached-looking golden locks back
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 11
When I was young, until I was about 12, I was a bleach blond...I'm now a medium brown, and the change occurred within one month. It scared the pants off my barber. ^_^

Mar 31, 2004 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 11
I have med brown hair in the winter but come summer it goes to lt brown or even dirty blonde

That is with mostly working outside . If i work inside it stays dark.

Maybe the same with changes over time ?

when you were young you got out in the sun ,always doing something active but as the years pass you are inside more and more due to work and lifestyle changes

sounds plausible

Mar 31, 2004 at 3:34 AM Post #6 of 11
I was always under the impression that any changes in the proteins that make up your hair pigments would in turn make your hair color change.

The sun, chemicals, body changes, etc. could alter the pigment proteins and in turn cause a color change.

...its been a long time since high school AP biology so I could be wrong.

Mar 31, 2004 at 3:46 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman
I was always under the impression that any changes in the proteins that make up your hair pigments would in turn make your hair color change.

The sun, chemicals, body changes, etc. could alter the pigment proteins and in turn cause a color change.

...its been a long time since high school AP biology so I could be wrong.

I think this is true too. Animals in captivity may end up being a different color compared to the ones in the wild because of a different diet. Some farmers have to include supplements with their feed to make their livestocks look more appealing to customers.

Some people theorize that certain genes may not be expressed until later in life, hence the change in hair color as the creature grows older.

From what I remember from my introductory class to genetics, some creatures like dogs can simultaneously possess both colors of hair from both parents. Some of the strands of hair are one color while other strands are a different color. I am not talking about spots or patterns here like on a leopard or cheetah.

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:34 AM Post #8 of 11
My hair was kinda redish brown when I was a baby, then turned into dark brown with streaks of darke red and ligther brown. And, about four years ago, when I stopped shaving it and let it grow, it turned out to be black. Even my body hair changed colour like that. Now it's all black. Never really cared about it. I just took it naturally, I guess. Anyway, I am also inclined to think that it has something to do with protein and nutrition changes.

Mar 31, 2004 at 6:38 AM Post #9 of 11
when i was young i had wavy dirty blond hair. i shaved it for a few years for air cadets. when it grew in, it grew in dark brown and in really tight ringlets. very suprised when it happened.

Mar 31, 2004 at 6:51 AM Post #10 of 11
I think it has to do with the natural pigments inside your hair that makes the color change. When I walk into direct sunlight, my hair still looks jet black, while sometimes it may look a bit brownish. I say you should just google this for some answers.

My hair changes color because I dye it
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 7:50 AM Post #11 of 11
My hair was white when I was younger. It's gotten darker as I get older but it's still blonde. If I let my hair grow out a bit, it almost looks like it's a light brown color, but in the right light it's obviously still golden blonde. As I mentioned in the beard thread, I have several different colors of hair in my beard: black, white, brown, blonde, and even some the color of copper wire. I have a good friend who has long, medium to dark brown hair. One day she was standing in front of her window brushing her hair and, with the sun streaming in behind her, I was stunned to notice that her hair is actually shot through with red highlights! I had never noticed before, but the lighting really brought out the red.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back