changing filter on er6 without tool?
Mar 6, 2006 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

orfeo

Head-Fier
hi,

i want to take the filters out of my etymotic er6's but i don't have the tool. I know that you can pop the filters out of the er6i's with your fingernail but it doesn't seem possible with the er6's. Does anyone know of a make shift way?

thanks

orfeo

Mar 6, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #3 of 10

angler31337

500+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by orfeo
hi,

i want to take the filters out of my etymotic er6's but i don't have the tool. I know that you can pop the filters out of the er6i's with your fingernail but it doesn't seem possible with the er6's. Does anyone know of a make shift way?

thanks

orfeo

If I were you i'd just buy a tool. You can get them pretty cheap if you look around. Seems like the <$15 you'd be spending would be worth the reduced chance of damaging the phones.

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 10

orfeo

Head-Fier
if i could find one at a store i'd get one but no one seems to have them. my er6s are on the way out so i don't want to spend too much on trying to get them back to working (if thats at all possible).

orfeo

Mar 7, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 10

angler31337

500+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by orfeo
if i could find one at a store i'd get one but no one seems to have them. my er6s are on the way out so i don't want to spend too much on trying to get them back to working (if thats at all possible).

orfeo

At iDealSound (discountheadphones) the ER6-45 Filter Changing Tool sells for $1 before shipping. If that's too rich for your blood, you will want to run (not walk) away from head-fi as fast as you can. Head-fi'ers use $1 bills as kindling to light whole stacks of $100 bills in heathen sacrifice rituals aimed at pleasing the insatiable wants of the pagan god of headphones (just so you know).

-Angler
600smile.gif

Edit: Just out of curiosity, does anyone care to venture a guess as to who the pagan god of headphones is?

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #7 of 10

Gino

500+ Head-Fier
You push the screen with the tool then grip the inner part of the filter tube to pull it out. Any stiff rod like a jeweler's screwdriver can do this. But just like the factory method, this destroys the filer. Now if you don't have spare filters, I can't see why you can't order them along with the filter tool.

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #8 of 10

orfeo

Head-Fier
gino,

are you saying the tool destroys the filter in getting it out? i was planning on just cleaning them (or swaping them to see if any problems change channel), so if the tool destroys them then i guess theres no point.

The reason i'm being so cheap is cause i've already spent $25 on a new jack, add another 25 for filter and tool and who knows what else. That would bring me pretty close to the $70 for a brand new replacement pair for etymotic. Hence there's no point spending all this money trying to repair them (when i think there's a slim chance any of this filter stuff will work).

thanks again

orfeo

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #9 of 10

angler31337

500+ Head-Fier
There's a post somewhere around here outlining a method of removing, cleaning, and replacing ER-4s filters without destroying them. I've not tried it, so I can't vouch for its accuracy personally.

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #10 of 10

Gino

500+ Head-Fier
Yes, if do as the instructions tell you, the filters will be destroyed. If enough of the filter's flange is exposed, you can pick it off with a soft tool like your nail. If like in my case the flange lies flush in the tube, then it's a no brainer, it has to be destroyed as the instruction would advice.

Users who are viewing this thread