Changing ear pads on the DT 880
May 22, 2005 at 8:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Zeruel the 14th

Head-Fier
I recently aquired my first 'good' headphone and amp (about a week now). Aside from being pleased for the most part (very comfortable). I've begun to wonder how I might go about changing the pads for the purposes of servicing or whatever. At very least, I figure the nice velour pads will eventually smell alot like...well...me. So the thought of hand washing the pads or whatever does occur.

I've tried searches here and elsewhere but have been unable to find out how do go about removing the pads (and no docs came with the cans). I've been able to turn the pads and the apparent plastic ring that holds them in place a little and no more. I've stopped trying since I do not know which way is the right way...I could be making them tighter, damaging any screw threads that may or may not be present.

Any help in this regard would be appreciate. Images would also probably help if at all possible. Thanks in advance.

May 22, 2005 at 11:48 AM Post #2 of 5
The pads come off very easily. There is a black vinyl like ring on the pad that goes around the cup of the headphone, all you have to do is pull on the velour and it should peel back. Either that or stick a small screwdriver underneath that black ring to lift it up and then start pulling. Mine have come off easy the couple of times I've done it. But the fun part is putting them back on
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 23, 2005 at 10:13 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordolindsay
The pads come off very easily. There is a black vinyl like ring on the pad that goes around the cup of the headphone, all you have to do is pull on the velour and it should peel back. Either that or stick a small screwdriver underneath that black ring to lift it up and then start pulling. Mine have come off easy the couple of times I've done it. But the fun part is putting them back on
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oh, I see now. I thought that was just a cover for hard plastic or something. I just assumed it was a seal or "It's meant to be that way.". I honestly believed there was a hard ring that held the pads in place that required 'unscrewing', kinda like the seal under a jar lid. I pity the fool that is me.

I have tried what you said and lo and behold they come off fairly easily. Getting them back on was as you suggested...interesting to say the least. Alot like trying to get a fresh tire on a bike wheel. (I now have the utmost respect for the people whose job it was to put fresh pads on every new pair)

It all makes sense now. Thanks for the help gordolindsay, much appreciated.

May 23, 2005 at 11:39 AM Post #4 of 5
Not sure if this relates to other pads and makes of headphones but on the Senn HD25 there is a tip on getting the pads on.

You turn the pad inside out, place it against the cup and flip it back the right way. This makes it much easier than trying to stretch it bit by bit.

May 23, 2005 at 7:04 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeruel the 14th
It all makes sense now. Thanks for the help gordolindsay, much appreciated.

No problemo, anytime!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back