Changed title: SM64, or EX1000, or RE272 for a Senns HD800 fanboy?
Apr 23, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:
According to Audiowood, the soundstage of the EX1000 is like 5% better than the SM64.

Overall, the SM64 seem to sound a bit darker than the EX1000.

I only listened to the HD800 for like 20 minutes so I can't really compare them to my SM64, but I have to say that I LOVE them for any kind of metal. I'm mainly listening to metal (yes, also that nice technical stuff like Braindrill, Origin, Atheist, Ne Obliviscaris and so on) and I think that I can't be more happy with the soundsignature of the SM64. Fits metal very nice with the forward mids, the punchy bass and that glorious treble :)
You can definitely call the SM64 "coloured", but in a way that benefits rock and metal. Jazz and classic also sound great, btw.

I have to admit that this is a pretty hard decision you have to make here :D Very close race.

I also enjoy metal very much... That said, I favor neutrality and soundstage equally over the rest.

I know that metal can sound very enjoyable with LCD-2 for example... That said, I just want NEUTRALITY and therefore I think I will skip SM64.

Apr 23, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #17 of 33
I don't want to convince you here, or something, but the SM64 are on sale for 295$ with some kind of code right now.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/651654/earsonics-sm64-the-impressions-and-appreciation-thread/300#post_9378635

Apr 23, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:
I don't want to convince you here, or something, but the SM64 are on sale for 295$ with some kind of code right now.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/651654/earsonics-sm64-the-impressions-and-appreciation-thread/300#post_9378635

Great to know, especially for the other people... That said, I would rather not spend money on something I don't know much about. I am quite short on budget actually.

Apr 23, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:
Skip the EX1000 for metal. Unless you want a soft, relaxed metal experience.

I want a neutral experience like I get with HD800 => it could be both relaxed or aggresive, depends on what kind of metal (or even band) you listen to. ,-)

Apr 23, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #21 of 33
The 'neutrality' / 'flatness' of the FitEar F111, according to its FR graph, is practically identical to that of the revered Etymotic ER-4S — the F111 sounds nothing like the HD800.

If you're into metal, unless you get reference-type recordings/masters of this genre, of which I don't believe there are many, the EX1000 will very likely disappoint.

Apr 23, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:
The 'neutrality' / 'flatness' of the FitEar F111, according to its FR graph, is practically identical to that of the revered Etymotic ER-4S — the F111 sounds nothing like the HD800.

If you're into metal, unless you get reference-type recordings/masters of this genre, of which I don't believe there are many, the EX1000 will very likely disappoint.

I know what I like... People always keep saying that HD800 cannot work with metal. It's a nonsense, at least to my ears, and I hugely prefer those even for metal over the "the more suitable" headphones like LCD-2 or HE-500.

That said, I listen to wide range of genres. Therefore, don't worry, I really know what I want.

Apr 23, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

I know what I like... People always keep saying that HD800 cannot work with metal. It's a nonsense, at least to my ears, and I hugely prefer those even for metal over the "the more suitable" headphones like LCD-2 or HE-500.

That said, I listen to wide range of genres. Therefore, don't worry, I really know what I want.

I never said the HD800s don't work with metal. To me, they do. Re-read my posts properly (and perhaps a bit more slowly, including paying attention to punctuation).

Apr 23, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

I never said the HD800s don't work with metal. To me, they do. Re-read my posts properly (and perhaps a bit more slowly, including paying attention to punctuation).

And I never said you had said that :)

Apr 23, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #25 of 33
+1 for EX1000. With my gear below, the EX1000 has a heavenly sound.

iPod 5g modded with a pair of internal Wima 4.7uf/50v caps (direct out to the lod pins)
UHA-6S MKII
Pure silver LOD

I have other gears but this combo just blows my mind. I don't even want to talk about how good it is and try it yourself.
wink_face.gif

I can't stand cans personally b/c they are simply uncomfortable for more than 20 mins. With the EX1000, I almost feel it weightless and non-existent for as long as I want to hear my music.

Apr 23, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:
+1 for EX1000. With my gear below, the EX1000 has a heavenly sound.

iPod 5g modded with a pair of internal Wima 4.7uf/50v caps (direct out to the lod pins)
UHA-6S MKII
Pure silver LOD

I have other gears but this combo just blows my mind. I don't even want to talk about how good it is and try it yourself.
wink_face.gif

I can't stand cans personally b/c they are simply uncomfortable for more than 20 mins. With the EX1000, I almost feel it weightless and non-existent for as long as I want to hear my music.

Thanks for recommendation...

Personally, I am also considering to completely switch from full-size to IEM even though I am listening primarily at home... Because of several reasons - comfort is one of them.

As a DAC, I will definitely want to use my StageDAC w/ crossfeed on. As for the amp, don't know right now... If I choose to go for RE272, I will most probably go for some Corda amp with Active balanced ground driving in order to get the best out of them. If I choose EX1000 (or SM64) instead, I will most probably use my Torpedo amp that seems to be suitable even for IEMs. Or maybe I will get some Corda amp as well.

Apr 23, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

And I never said you had said that :)

You clearly implied that in your previous post. (Look again at my post on FR graphs and my post above about the F111 & ER-4S).

The HD800 is the best ear/headphone I've ever heard. Then comes the K3003, then the FAD FI-BA-SS. All excel with all manner of genres and recording/master types irrespective of genre (read: great all-rounders), while shining even more with better source material. All 3 cost $1,000+.

In order of preference—SQ-wise only—, considering your budget ($300-$400?), if I could personally keep just one IEM (read: not have several IEMs or different flavours) of all those I've personally owned, and FWIW, in order of preference: 1) FAD Heaven-S (aka FI-BA-SB), 2) MDR-7550, 3) Westone 4.

Although the EX1000 is a great phone and one of the best I've heard—and those who know me know how much I love/loved this phone—it was not really a good all-rounder (I had my customs [the $850 Westone ES3X] to complement it); but with those albums (not genres) the Sonys worked well with, it did a mighty impressive job.

Apr 23, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #28 of 33
Besides comfort, portability is equally important for me. The Alo amp wallet is perfect for my combo in terms of portability. I want to have the music available at my finger tips anywhere/anytime.

Apr 23, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

You clearly implied that in your previous post. (Look again at my post on FR graphs and my post above about the F111 & ER-4S).

The HD800 is the best ear/headphone I've ever heard. Then comes the K3003, then the FAD FI-BA-SS. All excel with all manner of genres and recording/master types irrespective of genre (read: great all-rounders), while shining even more with better source material. All 3 cost $1,000+.

In order of preference—SQ-wise only—, considering your budget ($300-$400?), if I could personally keep just one IEM (read: not have several IEMs or different flavours) of all those I've personally owned, and FWIW, in order of preference: 1) FAD Heaven-S (aka FI-BA-SB), 2) MDR-7550, 3) Westone 4.

Although the EX1000 is a great phone and one of the best I've heard—and those who know me know how much I love/loved this phone—it was not really a good all-rounder (I had my customs [the $850 Westone ES3X] to complement it); but with those albums (not genres) the Sonys worked well with, it did a mighty impressive job.

My budget is limited to to up to 500USD unless I sell my HD800 immediately... If I do, I could afford K3003 or FI-BA-SS as well.

That said, for 1000+USD, I expect to own an IEM with absolutely the best 3D soundstage and excellent balance, along with imaging and separation ability of course. I don't expect it to outperform HD800 but must be more or less an IEM equivalent of this full-size headphone (which is the best I've heard).

Btw, thank you very much for your posts, I find them helpful :)

Apr 23, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #30 of 33
I'm probably going to get shot, but...

For metal, look into the Vsonic GR07 MKII. You can find them on the forums for under $150 at times, and they're fully comparable to phones that cost several times their price range.

I've actually never heard a better phone for rock or metal, and you can look at my profile to see the list I've owned/auditioned.

It combines armature-like speed with fantastic timbre with drums, and has an uncanny ability to make distortion guitars sound lifelike. 

I'd tell you that I'd personally buy your pair if you were dissatisfied, but I have to pay summer tuition 
redface.gif

It's at least worth a look. Don't let the price fool you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back