Chameleon DAC listening and modifications
May 14, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #1,142 of 1,158
Sorry if this had already been mentioned in the thread, but I couldn't find it on searching.

What is the consensus on the best capacitors (type and value) to replace the stock WIMA output coupling caps? I'm considering either Jensens or Obbligato (not sure which value would be appropriate and still fit in the box, though.

Please don't suggest direct coupling the output, because my headphone amp doesn't have DC blocking caps on the input!

Basically, will the 10uF Obbligatos (30 x 75 mm) fit inside the enclosure?

Jun 12, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #1,143 of 1,158
Just received mine, and put in the Obbligatos. First impressions are very positive, especially on jazz and opera (used with a Shinrico D3S as source, into Audio-gd SA-31SE and Hifiman HE-400i).

Jun 15, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #1,144 of 1,158
Very good synergy with Grados (modded SR225i with Cocobolo cups).

Dec 26, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #1,146 of 1,158
Are these Teradak units still being manufactured? It's really hard to find good review about these dacs
These DACs were always sold on ebay, look up teradak dac on ebay. I could not find any chameleon dacs there, the ones that are there are the 8 DAC chip version. I have been running one of those units for the past decade. The threads here about the Valab NOS DAC and the Chameleon DAC fizzled out some years ago shortly after a format change on this site. There is still some good info in the threads if you have time to go through them.

Dec 27, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #1,147 of 1,158
These DACs were always sold on ebay, look up teradak dac on ebay. I could not find any chameleon dacs there, the ones that are there are the 8 DAC chip version. I have been running one of those units for the past decade. The threads here about the Valab NOS DAC and the Chameleon DAC fizzled out some years ago shortly after a format change on this site. There is still some good info in the threads if you have time to go through them.
They use decades old Philips ladder dac chips right?
Are they sound good like modern ladder dacs/ multibit dacs even they use such old chips?

Dec 27, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #1,148 of 1,158
Are they sound good like modern ladder dacs/ multibit dacs even they use such old chips?
TDA1543 is the Dac chip. They use 8 of them in parallel, the Chameleon used 16 in parallel. those chips are fed straight to output.
They sound great, mine is modified. Many people on these threads thought these units are top notch. In my limited experience with Dacs, this one sounds best.

Dec 27, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #1,149 of 1,158

here is a link to the 16 chip unit
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-TeraDa...h=item3fae9ec78c:g:CDoAAOSwiiVbxycb:rk:8:pf:0

Mar 26, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #1,150 of 1,158
I’ve recently dug mine out again and am using it regularly. I had forgotten how good it was.

Current setup:

Meridian 207 (as transport) -> Swoboda silver coax -> Chameleon (Obbligato output caps, Supra mains lead) -> Chord Company Clearway I/C -> Audio-gd SA-31SE (set to high gain!) -> Beyerdynamic DT-880/600.

Is anyone else still using theirs on a regular basis?

Mar 26, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #1,152 of 1,158
Yes, mine is still playing. Never had any troubles with it. Sounds good as long as you use the upsampler. Can also compete with current dacs in terms of sound quality, but certainly not when it comes to specs :sweat_smile:.

Attachments

• 07062011229.JPG
    07062011229.JPG
    583.3 KB · Views: 0
Mar 27, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #1,153 of 1,158
That is a serious re-casing job there!

I’m tempted to do the same myself (to use bigger output caps).

BTW, what are you using as an upsampler?

Mar 27, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #1,154 of 1,158
I mean the build-in upsampler print (The one that can be taken out and bypassed). Without the upsampler huge amounts of distortion start from the midrange and upwards. It might sounds 'smooth', but it's pure distortion.

The biggest step up was the seperated power supplies and better clocks

Mar 15, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #1,155 of 1,158
Hello Chameleon community -

Mine just arrived from Ebay in good shape. It was a good deal because it was missing the special DC cable which connects the two boxes. I was able to find a new one from AliExpress which should be here soon. As such I have not been able to plug it in yet, or do any listening.
Looking inside there are clearly modifications made by a previous owner. The seller I bought from let me know it came from an estate sale and he has no idea who did the mods and which were made.
I am seeking advice on how to go about satisfying my curiosity about which mods were done and what the sonic effect might be.
I can take a bunch of pictures of my unit and share here in hopes that the members here will be able to help me sort out what I have on my hands now.

Looks like mods were not made to the P.S. Is this something that was done or did modders mostly stick to the other box with the DAC section?

Not that I want to tear up my new special order DC cable, but is this a part of the system which was considered upgradeable to fancier cable or better connectors? Are those connectors unique or can alternates be found and soldered to fancy silver wire or something?

I could maybe manage to soler up a new cable if i could find the right wire and plugs, but my electronics dIY skills are near zero.

Any other advice for a new Chameleon owner is welcome. Please be kind to a new non solderer who just wants the best sound.

(Rest of the system is naim and Linn gear from the 80s.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back