Challenge: The $300 endgame headphones
Nov 11, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #18 of 33
At $300? In the closed-back side of things, it's probably the Audio-Technica ATH-M70x. It has decent technical chops (for its price range), and has a generally clear, distinct signature.

For bassheads, it's the Meze 99 Classics.

Nov 11, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #19 of 33
Do tell more 🙂
Out of production

this is was one of the first hps from focal about 7 years ago

very neutralish but lively sound. Not over lively though

potentially small ear cups for some people. With me it’s ok and i have average ears i think

there used to be a good review on innerfidelity but probably no longer available

Nov 11, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #20 of 33
Takstar 82 Pro (I do believe the hype).

Nov 11, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #22 of 33
Is it not a generic design? Kind of like the Reloop SHP8

The 82 Pro is kind of a thing of its own. Yeah the SHP8 is KIND OF a rebranded 82 Pro v.1 - but not with the same exact tuning. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...ns-and-discussion-thread.849965/post-14452796

And my 82 Pro v2 is pretty much my personal endgame. I don't have enough cash (or interest) for headphones in the over $300 realm really. And of the ones I have heard, the 82pro (v2) blow everything out of the water. And like, there's a lot of people on here who swear by it even over much more expensive cans.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #23 of 33
Sivga Phoenix ($255) with the BW round pleather pads ($14). Total = $269.

I picked this combo because for less than $300 and w/o a dedicated amp/dac (compare that to the other entries here) you can get a great sounding, bassy, v-shaped, stupidly efficient headphone that’s also comfortable to wear. Seriously, these will sound great off of pretty much anything!

Nov 12, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #25 of 33
Comes with the additional concern of entering the quality control lottery.
Personally I had never issues with it, so I sure hope that these issues are blown out of proportion.

Even my 9 year old hifiman cans still worked flawlessly when I sold them this year.
In case of the Sundara directly I bought a pair on Release when the official price Was still 500. Gifted them to my brother who still uses them heavily to this day

Nov 14, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #29 of 33
Personally
MSR7 OG-130sgd
Yaxi MSR7 pads-60sgd
Shanling UP4-130sgd

Total sadly 20sgd over the target 300 but I'll take it.

Yaxi MSR7 creates a nice thick smooth sound but loses that crystaline sound that the orginal pads give without giving up any of the detail. Shanling UP4 is a slightly bassy dry amp that makes the yaxi MSR7 regain part of its airyness without reintroducing the sharp highs that some people find annoying. Not to mention its a portable setup so you always can bring it along with you.

My only issue with MSR7 is that the slam will always be rounded so if you must have sharp slam this setup is not for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back