Chaintech AV-710
May 11, 2006 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

EhJayKim

100+ Head-Fier
My card just arrived from Zip Zoom Fly, I can't believe the difference coming from my speakers. But, I was wondering how I hook headphones up to this card, which output do I plug the headphones into? And, is it possible to have headphones and speakers pluggedin at the same time? Thanks,

-A

May 11, 2006 at 1:43 PM Post #2 of 24
headphones don't work well with this card unless you amp it, the card itself has no op-amp, you would do it the same way as speakers - through the 7/8 channel jack and set on 2 channel hi-sample rate to use the good quality wolfson dac, you can just get a mini-jack splitter to use it with speakers and headphones at the same time

you can also hook it up to a receiver through toslink (optical digital) and let the receiver process the sound instead of the card, this card is good in that it has bit-perfect digital passthrough - it doesn't alter the sound in any way through digital out, you can plug the headphones into the receiver when you need to and it will be amped by the receiver too

May 12, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #5 of 24
I have a portaphile V2, I didn't use my computer for music for a long time, and didn't want a stationary amp, but I am using it more and more...and carrying my amp less and less.

-A

May 12, 2006 at 5:30 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by EhJayKim
I have a portaphile V2, I didn't use my computer for music for a long time, and didn't want a stationary amp, but I am using it more and more...and carrying my amp less and less.

-A

Yes, use your amp and do as Razoramus suggested. I think you'll be happy with the results. You can also modify that card, if you are so inclinded, for better performance. It's not necessary though.

Here is a good Y splitter:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282
I think you can find it cheaper if you look.

May 12, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #7 of 24
I bought the AV710 a few months ago. Personally i found it best using the toslink optical to my receiver for my speaker system. Its a fairly standard Denon, but i think i get good sound out of it. I use the wolfson DAC output to my headphone amp (graham slee solo monitor class) with a mini to RCA splitter and it goes well with my Grados.

May 13, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #8 of 24
You say it needs an amp...
But how much of one?

There's a jumper on the bottom of the card that switched between "speaker" and "line-out" modes. I presume that one is amped and the other not, but the manual doesn't tell me anything useful.
When I have the jumper set on "line-out" my Furman SP-20 that claims 20 watts can't drive the standard (green) line-out, using the headphone out on the amp.
The headphone out is amplified, right? (I just found the amp in my attic and haven't used it before.)

Also: Does anyone have any idea how to set up winamp to send bit-perfect output throught the HQ 2-channel on the card?
I've had no luck at all figuring it out.

May 14, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit
Here is an excellent guide to setting up your 710 with foobar (older version):
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75655

Enabling high sample rate merely was a kludge to get audio to the alt out. What one should do is enable the digital out in "PCM only" mode and check the option for automatic sample rate selection. This may require a 4.xx driver, reportedly people haven't been able to get output from their AV-710 alt out with the 5.00 (which might mean the Wolfson DAC isn't initialized correctly).

May 14, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #10 of 24
Do I have to have the jumper on the bottom of the card set to "line-out"?
Because when I have it set to line-out, the level is too low for my amp/MS-1s.

Should my Furman SP-20 be able to drive my MS-1s with those settings?

May 14, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
Enabling high sample rate merely was a kludge to get audio to the alt out. What one should do is enable the digital out in "PCM only" mode and check the option for automatic sample rate selection. This may require a 4.xx driver, reportedly people haven't been able to get output from their AV-710 alt out with the 5.00 (which might mean the Wolfson DAC isn't initialized correctly).

Is this the same issue:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=175911

What is the advantage to re-routing as you describe?

I only use the card to feed an amp.

Thanks,
Sam

May 14, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass

Tonns of info on this one, so I'll try to be short

-Wonderfull card, but tricky to use. Only one (unamped) high-quality output ("rear 6/7")
-D/L 4.53 VIA drivers from VIAarena, ignore the CD with the card. If you're not using the lates XP (i.e. W2000, 98 SP1 whatever), avoid ver.5 drivers
-Get Kernel Streaming plugin (FB, Winamp...)
-Set FB/Winamp to non-resampled KS
-Set your card to "2.0 channels". Digital out PCM, automatic sample rate
-plug your amp/cans in 6/7 and speakers in 1/2 (or just in 6/7 to have HQ sound on both)
-Enjoy sound from both

If smth's not clear, go ahead and ask

P.S. Ignore the jumpers, you can't get amped output on 6/7 (there are no amps), and DAC maxes at 10mA, so there's no way to listen with low-ohm cans unamped

May 14, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #13 of 24
I uninstalled/reinstalled the card with the 4.73b drivers, and it still doesn't work. I can't get anything to output from the rear out of my card.
I tried setting the digital out to "PCM only", tried it both on 2 channel, HQ 2channel, and the 2+2 channel modes. Nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

I can get output fine on the standard 1/2 line out, on 48khz resampling, with winamp DirectSound, but nothing I have done will let me get output from the nice Wolfson DAC on the 7/8 output.

Edit: Forgot to refresh, Xakepa's post should help.

May 14, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xakepa
Tonns of info on this one, so I'll try to be short

-Wonderfull card, but tricky to use. Only one (unamped) high-quality output ("rear 6/7")
-D/L 4.53 VIA drivers from VIAarena, ignore the CD with the card. If you're not using the lates XP (i.e. W2000, 98 SP1 whatever), avoid ver.5 drivers
-Get Kernel Streaming plugin (FB, Winamp...)
-Set FB/Winamp to non-resampled KS
-Set your card to "2.0 channels". Digital out PCM, automatic sample rate
-plug your amp/cans in 6/7 and speakers in 1/2 (or just in 6/7 to have HQ sound on both)
-Enjoy sound from both

Very elegant Xakepa.

I'm now able to swithch b/w the DSP Resampler "High Sample Rate" and "2 channel" non-resampled. KS working in both modes on the 7/8 out.

Finally!

Need to do some listening.

Thanks,
Sam

May 15, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #15 of 24
So...

I did exactly what Xakepa described, except for the Kernel Streaming which would crash Winamp whenever I tried to play anything, so I've been using WaveOut instead.
The weird part is that when I plug my MS-1s directly into the 7/8 jack on the card, I can actually get sound. Not alot of it, buy I can clearly hear the music.
I thought that path was supposed to be unamped.
With my amp, it sounds better, and can actually reach good volumes, but I'm still puzzled by the apparent amping on the 7/8.

I tried using ASIO4all sometime yesterday, but the ASIO4all config program kept crashing when I tried to open it, and when I tried to play anything through Winamp ASIO, even with all the buffers set on fullest, I got the worst distortion I had ever heard. I couldn't even tell what song I was listening to.

Also: is there any way to tell if my sound is going through the Wolfson DAC? Is it possible for sound to come out of the 7/8 jack and NOT go through the Wolfson DAC?

BTW: My school got canceled today because of flooding.
I'm in Newburyport, but go to school in Beverly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back