Chaintech AV-710
May 15, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ikrit42
So...

I did exactly what Xakepa described, except for the Kernel Streaming which would crash Winamp whenever I tried to play anything, so I've been using WaveOut instead.
The weird part is that when I plug my MS-1s directly into the 7/8 jack on the card, I can actually get sound. Not alot of it, buy I can clearly hear the music.
I thought that path was supposed to be unamped.
With my amp, it sounds better, and can actually reach good volumes, but I'm still puzzled by the apparent amping on the 7/8.

I tried using ASIO4all sometime yesterday, but the ASIO4all config program kept crashing when I tried to open it, and when I tried to play anything through Winamp ASIO, even with all the buffers set on fullest, I got the worst distortion I had ever heard. I couldn't even tell what song I was listening to.

Also: is there any way to tell if my sound is going through the Wolfson DAC? Is it possible for sound to come out of the 7/8 jack and NOT go through the Wolfson DAC?

BTW: My school got canceled today because of flooding.
I'm in Newburyport, but go to school in Beverly.

Glad to hear that it worked for you. Here are more a's

-The fact that you hear sound from 7/8 doesn't mean that the output is amped. It's not - the signal you get comes straight from the pins of the DAC + simple RC filter. "Amped" output have an opamp after the DAC, but often that chip is solely for filtering purposes and does not amplify the signal. Some abiguity here...

-The signal on 7/8 could come only from Wolfson - output is connected to the pins of that DAC.

- Is my beloved Plum Island fully submerged? I heared Route 1 is really bad.

Once you get non-resampled KS working, you can try resampling - I don't know how to do it winamp, in FB you just load resampler DSP, set it to 96KHz, switch kmixer to "2.0 High Rate" and enjoy. You're losing output from 1/2though, but you might like resampled sound better. Aletrnatively, with DirctSound/WaveOut you could try Kmixer's own resampler - send DS to "2.0 HSR". Both are pretty similar IMO

May 15, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #18 of 24
The Turnpike out to Plum Island is closed, completely underwater apparently.
Everyone out there is stuck until the water goes back down.

I've been relatively lucky, I'm on high ground, and only one or two roof leaks.
I;m still hoping it'll get canceled again tomorrow, as the stream at my school floods easily.
Hopefully it won't go down too soon.

So the 7/8 isn't actually amped, just that my MS-1s have low resistance?

The KS plugin for Winamp doesn't let you resample at all, but I have the card itself set on high resample mode. It turns out that If I have my phones plugged in to the 7/8 out, and the card on non-high resample rate, all my ingame sounds are played at half the frequency.
My female Ranger/Mage in Guild Wars is suddenly a bass, and the music is reduced to a low rumble.

Turning it back to high resample rate fixes it, though.

BTW: Where do you hail from, Xakepa?

May 18, 2006 at 8:55 AM Post #19 of 24
The trick to using high sample mode with the sound card and kernel streaming is that you have to have your player resample to the frequency that the card is set to (96khz). You have to use a DSP with winamp to upsample to 96khz, then kernel streaming will work in high sample rate mode.

May 18, 2006 at 2:46 PM Post #20 of 24
How does this card produce bit perfect output when upsampling to 96khtz? Wouldn't the signal only remain bit perfect if it were being upsampled to multiples of 44.1khtz (if you are playing a CD)? For example, to go from 44.1khz to 88.2 khtz you'd just and an extra one of each sample in there to double the rate. If you were to sample to a non-multiple of 44.1khz wouldn't it have to make certain approximations?

How does the resampling to 96khtz work?

Is there something basic that I'm missing from my understanding here?

Cheers.

May 19, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiasticSlide
How does this card produce bit perfect output when upsampling to 96khtz? Wouldn't the signal only remain bit perfect if it were being upsampled to multiples of 44.1khtz (if you are playing a CD)? For example, to go from 44.1khz to 88.2 khtz you'd just and an extra one of each sample in there to double the rate. If you were to sample to a non-multiple of 44.1khz wouldn't it have to make certain approximations?

How does the resampling to 96khtz work?

Is there something basic that I'm missing from my understanding here?

Cheers.

Nope, your understanding is correct. AFAIK resampling to 96 (or 192 for that matter) is achieved by first multipyling to a very high bitrate (common denominator of both 44.1 and 96), and than decimating at 96. It sounds complicated, but comes out it's relatively easy to implement in digital domain. There are some hurdles too.

May 20, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenja
The trick to using high sample mode with the sound card and kernel streaming is that you have to have your player resample to the frequency that the card is set to (96khz). You have to use a DSP with winamp to upsample to 96khz, then kernel streaming will work in high sample rate mode.

aHA! I've got you now, WinAMP!

Thanks, that should help. Any suggestions for a (better) resampler plugin?

May 21, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ikrit42
aHA! I've got you now, WinAMP!

Any suggestions for a (better) resampler plugin?

You're tippin' the deep waters here. VST probably, you can start here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back