Chaintech av 710 driver bug workaround
Jun 25, 2004 at 2:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

furiousgeorge

Head-Fier
ive been messing around with the drivers for my chaintech av710 soundcard and all of them ive tried out, ive had the bug where the volume control changes the balence instead. in one instance it killed my sound completely and i had to reinstall the drivers.

i started trying workarounds to adjust the volume and i found one that works flawlessly on windows xp. go to the control panel and click on "sounds and audio devices" the icon is a little speaker. make sure the correct soundcard is selected (in my case, envy24 family audio) and adjust the device volume with the slider. thats it. i had both the windows panel and the actual driver open at the same time and the windows slider moved the driver slider as well. hope this helps someone.

Jun 25, 2004 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 6
No such luck for me, I have a fully updated fresh xp install. The windows slider still unevenly changes the volume. I'm also using the 3.10a drivers.

Jun 26, 2004 at 7:41 AM Post #3 of 6
ok, its relly easy 2 work around this. go to 2 channel mode, turn up the master volume. set it back to 2 channel hi-res mode, and never touch the master volume. move the back speaker volume instead. problem solved =P

Jun 26, 2004 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 6
With a little fiddling I found what seems to be the fastest workaround. Go to the via vinyl control panel open with high sample rate on and flip to the playback tab. Unlink both the master volume and back stereo speaker volume controls. Now drag the left master volume to where you want it to be set (most likely at full volume). Then move the back stereo speaker left control to any position and the master volume will suddenly take effect. This sounds more complicated than it really is, but basically moving the speaker sliders when unlinked will cause the drivers to recognize the position the master slider is set to.

Hope this helps someone.

(edit: On a related note, what volume should I have the sliders set to? is higher better and then just bring the volume back down with my amp or should I shoot for as low as possible soundcard volume and boost the signal up to litsening levels with my amp?)

Jun 29, 2004 at 7:13 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by dougmwpsu

(edit: On a related note, what volume should I have the sliders set to? is higher better and then just bring the volume back down with my amp or should I shoot for as low as possible soundcard volume and boost the signal up to litsening levels with my amp?)

That's a good question, I have always wondered that.

Jun 29, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #6 of 6
As long as you aren't experiencing clipping, it's best to leave the volume at highest so you get the best signal to noise ratio. It's easy for a loud signal to be louder than noise than it is for a quiet signal to be louder than noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back