Chaintech AV-710 available in Europe?
Jun 9, 2004 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

breez

500+ Head-Fier
It's certainly not available in Finland and google didn't help me. So any users from Europe enjoying cheap chaintech? If it's not available to Europe, is there any other cheap soundcards with good quality DAC (only need 2 channels)?

I'm thinking of replacing this Abit NF7-S 2.0 motherboard's integrated audio. It has Soundstorm DSP, but the crappy Realtek dac (my other equipment is some very old Hitachi amp, some almost as old speakers + quite cheap Philips headphones
tongue.gif
)
Not really sure if it's worthwhile to replace soundcard with this equipment, but yesterday I did try hooking up some old Hitachi CD-player to the amp and listened some difference on a few songs. I couldn't quickly change inputs because of different volume levels and generally it wasn't easy to judge which sounded better. In one song though, I heard a triangle playing in the background when listening with the CD-player and through the PC it clearly wasn't as audible :|

I also do gaming so I would need to use the Soundstorm for its low CPU usage and decent 3D audio. Should I just put a cable between the line out of the integrated audio and line in of the new soundcard (hopefully Chaintech)? Of course I could always slap in the cash and buy an Audigy2 to suit the gaming needs (and possibly good enough sound quality for my equipment and ears
biggrin.gif
), but I don't feel like using a lot of money now
tongue.gif

Oh, here's RMAA with the Soundstorm analog (well DAC - ADC in this case probably makes it a bit worse): http://personal.inet.fi/perhe/jussimela/nforce.htm

BTW, first post
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2004 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 7
You could always have a US head-fier buy the card and ship it to you.

FYI here is my RMAA comparison of the stock EMU 1212M, Chaintech AV710, and Realtech 650/soundstorm audio of my 8RDA+: http://www-scf.usc.edu/~miklic/RMAA/SSComp.htm

As you can see the Chaintech will be quite an improvement for you.

Jun 9, 2004 at 7:53 AM Post #3 of 7
breez: Maybe you'll have better luck with Gainwards version: http://www.gainward.de/new/products/...soundcard.html

If that's not available either, next step up is the Terratec Aureon 5.1 Space (but _not_ the Aureon 5.1 Fun!!!).

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jun 9, 2004 at 9:10 AM Post #4 of 7
Hi! That Gainward is available here @ 40€. I'll look into it
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: Hard to find a review to suit my needs. Most of the reviews don't even mention the crystal dac used with the last 2 channels (and no review tests specifically those).

edit2: Found two netstores in Norway that sell the Chaintech. About 28-29€. Not sure if they ship to Finland and because Norway isn't part of the EU, I'll be paying toll + tax which will raise the price (and postage isn't free either).

Jun 9, 2004 at 4:01 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by breez
Oh, here's RMAA with the Soundstorm analog (well DAC - ADC in this case probably makes it a bit worse): http://personal.inet.fi/perhe/jussimela/nforce.htm

BTW, first post
smily_headphones1.gif

Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet...
tongue.gif

Those are some of the worst RMAA results I've seen for a sound card... no wonder people like to get rid of motherboard-based audio fast...

Jun 9, 2004 at 10:31 PM Post #6 of 7
Hmm, since the thing is so damn cheap and the exchange rates between EUR and USD work to my advantage I think I could have someone in this forum to ship it and still get away without paying any toll or tax
cool.gif
(the value of the shipping must not exceed 38.05 EUR = ~45.45 USD)

Anyone have any idea how much the shipping would cost? And how much does newegg take from shipping it to someone there?

Jun 10, 2004 at 1:08 AM Post #7 of 7
USPS's Global Priority Mail is quite inexpensive.

Most likely less if they didnt send the packaging, and just the pci card.

Look here for rates: USPS

Headfiers have used it to send me stuff from the states to the UK a number of times, and each time it has been pretty quick (less than a week).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back