Chaining amps (Schiit stack)
Sep 2, 2018 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Nastrahl

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have a Schiit stack composed of an Eitr (because of a PC for audio source), Modi Multibit, Loki mini and a Magni 3 that was a present, but own a Vali 2 with an Electro-Harmonix 6922 EH Gold tube too, that I used before.

I wanted to know if there’s any advantage, sound-wise or not, to chain both of them ? If so, in which order ?

Thanks a lot.

Sep 2, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 6
Just use multibit>your favorite amp ever, unless you're trying to power something absurd like a 900 ohm load, or a pair of stax, which are in the 10's ok kohms. Otherwise, they'll just add their own distortions and noise to the signal.

There would be some perceived benefit to daisychained tubes, if you are the kinda guy who mainlines tubes before breakfast, but even then, getting an amp that just uses more tubes/tubier tubes would be ideal.

Sep 2, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks a lot.

I’ll try both with a Sys to figure it out which one I prefer.

Sep 2, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #4 of 6
Lemme know what you pick, I'm curious.

Oct 19, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #5 of 6
Hi,

It just came to me like, right now, that maybe I didn't fully make myself fully clear about my initial wonder.

When I wrote about chaining both, I was referring to plug the Vali 2 to the Magni 3 through Vali's pre-amp outputs to Magni's inputs. Not from Vali's jack port. I don't know if it was obvious in the first place.

Are your conclusion the same?

Since a lot happened since (I moved so it took quite the time + all the paperwork, etc) I didn't had the chance to get myself a Sys to play with yet, but I'll definitely come by again if your answer in unchanged.

Thank a lot!

Oct 19, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #6 of 6
Hi,

It just came to me like, right now, that maybe I didn't fully make myself fully clear about my initial wonder.

When I wrote about chaining both, I was referring to plug the Vali 2 to the Magni 3 through Vali's pre-amp outputs to Magni's inputs. Not from Vali's jack port. I don't know if it was obvious in the first place.

Are your conclusion the same?

Since a lot happened since (I moved so it took quite the time + all the paperwork, etc) I didn't had the chance to get myself a Sys to play with yet, but I'll definitely come by again if your answer in unchanged.

Thank a lot!
I tried to daisy chain the Vali to the Magni but the result was unsatisfactory. The bass was not as full as the Vali alone. It appears that the Vali's preamp outs are not the same sonically as the headphone output. I eventually just used Y connectors to attach both amps at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back