CHA 47 or Cmoy for a first amp?
Jul 19, 2002 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

johanneswolfgang

New Head-Fier
I'm stuck on what to get. I will be asking JMT to build either one but I can't decide on a few features one or the other lack.

I listen to Classical (a lot of old recordings), own SR-60s and have a Denon DR-M10 cassette deck. Since I would want the seperation of a crossfeed, because I am most frequently listening to an orchestra, I'd go for Cmoy built with the Meier crossfeed. But since I have Grados, the CHA 47 looks good to, and with the double output of the parralleled op-amps - but without the crossfeed.

I am considering more the CHA 47 because it was built with Grado in mind (and the extra output) but I'm not sure if I would be missing a lot without the crossfeed.

Jul 19, 2002 at 9:24 PM Post #2 of 11
Hmm, I listened to the cha47 at the WOH tour. All I have to say is JMT sure knows how to build em!

It sounded great, imho. Like you said, it was made for grados. I'm pretty sure you can get crossfeed somehow. An addon box, etc.

Jul 19, 2002 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 11
Ask JMT about adding a crossfeed before the amp. While your at it, ask him how much a META42 would be.
biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2002 at 10:31 PM Post #4 of 11
I'm pretty sure the Hansen board used for the CHA-47 can be configured to either have the bass-boosted Meier-crossfeed (which makes it a basic CMOY with crossfeed), or the parallel outputs that boost the current, making it ideal for low-impedance, current-hungry phones like Grados.

Jul 19, 2002 at 10:40 PM Post #5 of 11
I've decided to get a pair of Senn HD570s and ditch the SR60s, because I listen to classical. What kind of configured amp (from JMT) will go well with the HD570s - some configure CMoy or configured CHA-47, since my budget is restricted to about $80. How about the TA?

Jul 19, 2002 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 11
The general consensus on those HD570 is not so good. I haven't heard them myself, but people say they are very bright. For classical, I would pay a little more and get a HD580 instead.

Jul 20, 2002 at 12:01 AM Post #7 of 11
the cmoy is slightly more $ than the cha47. JMT told me that getting a cmoy with crossfeed into a mint tin would be impossible. I think he might be able to make a separate enclosure for a crossfeed i dont know.

Personally, i have a cha47 in a mint tin. I use it with my grado sr60's. It is a wonderful combination.

Jul 20, 2002 at 1:46 AM Post #8 of 11
Crossfeed, especially the Meier type, really shines with old recordings that have bad, widely panned stereo separation. This happens mostly with pre-1960 jazz and with classic rock music, but some classical that is "electronically rechanneled for stereo" also benefits greatly from crossfeed.

Also, I think a CMOY can be configured for Grados, though it seems you've gone the Senn route.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2002 at 2:01 AM Post #9 of 11
fiddler wrote "The general consensus on those HD570 is not so good. I haven't heard them myself, but people say they are very bright. For classical, I would pay a little more and get a HD580 instead."

I totally agree. The HD580s are much better for classical, especially since you're purchasing an amp too. Plugging the HD570 into an amp would just enhance their (sometimes painful) brightness.

Jul 20, 2002 at 4:26 AM Post #10 of 11
I thank you all very much for your very helpful replies. I will be forgeting about those Senns (they were just selling so cheap), and keeping my grado, and I'll be purchasing a cmoy, and, now, definitely with crossfeed.
I wish I can someday be so generous as to give my time writing these sort of comments for newbies like me when I become a real audiophile - all of you have been so very kind and helpful. I'm sure others have thanked you, and you guys really deserve every bit of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back