CHA-47 amp with ER-4P/ER-4S
Jul 11, 2002 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Milestones

100+ Head-Fier
I currently use a single 9V CHA-47 amp with Grado SR-80s.

I am thinking of buying Etymotic ER-4P or ER-4S headphones and I am wondering how the CHA-47 would work with them.

The CHA-47 is designed for low impedance headphones in general and Grados in particular so I am just curious whether I will get decent synergy pairing them with the Etys or whether I would need another amp to make the Etys sing.

Does my CHA-47 have enough juice to adequately power the ER-4Ss?

Would the ER-4Ss with the CHA-47 sound better than the ER-4Ps with the CHA-47, about the same, or worse?

I really want to avoid getting a new amp if possible and am wondering whether my existing amp will work with ER-4S or whether I should just get the ER-4P.

Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 11, 2002 at 8:18 PM Post #2 of 5
To my ears, the CHA47 drives the Etys (4P, 4S, and ER6) very well. I really don't think you'll be disappointed in the least. As for which one to get, I would say get the best of both worlds.....the 4P with the adapter cable to transform it into a 4S. Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2002 at 1:42 PM Post #4 of 5
Excellent match!

I initially got a JMT built CHA47 (single 9V battery) to power Grado 125s. When I got the Ety 4P+S adapter cable, I was a little unsure about the how the Ety would mate with the amp. In a word: MARVELOUS!

Hard to believe the quality of sound produced by this setup. The difference between the SR80 and Etymotic ER4 is like night and day. Two very different sounds... both are good, but the ER4 is incredible.

Let us know your impressions when you get them!

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

Back