CES 2017: MQA announces TIDAL Masters, and more
Jan 5, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #31 of 702

​
MQA has a number of announcements today at CES 2017, and we're really excited to learn that MQA music now will be offered through TIDAL. TIDAL has launched a new feature called "TIDAL Masters" which will offer MQA music and sound quality to all of its TIDAL HiFi subscribers. So, if you're not a TIDAL subscriber yet, it sounds to me like a great time to become one. Click here for more information on TIDAL MASTERS.

MQA is also announcing that more products will be adding MQA implementation:

1. Technics will be offering MQA implementation into their Grand Class SU-G30 Network Player Amplifier this year.

1. AudioQuest will be bringing MQA implementation to the DragonFly Red and DragonFly Black later this year via a software update. 

1. Mytek is also offering MQA implementation in their new Mytek Clef DAC/amp, and you can read about the Mytek Clef by clicking here: Mytek Clef

1. Audirvana will be offering MQA decoding in their upcoming Audirvana Plus 3, which is due to be released early 2017.

For more information, be sure to check out MQA's press release.

Audirvana 3? Does that mean, just like with Audirvana 2, I'll have to pay more $$s to upgrade to Audirvana 3? (Not sure if that is known yet or not). Since i just bought audirvana 2 a few days back.

Also: reading through MQA Q&A thing, WOW lot of complex information about audio. Still trying to wrap my head around it. Question: If i do NOT have MQA capable DAC or player (which, it looks like, a lot of us will not), my understanding is that the information unpacked will just be 44.1/16 (regular CD) right? But the assertion is that it will still sound a bit better than the same thing in a regular 44.1/16 FLAC, lets say? (if that comparison makes sense).

I'm still a bit unsure about MQA tbh. What do you guys here think about MQA? Do you think it will be the next thing to take over audiophile community? (Let's leave the "will it take over audio community in general aside, as it likely will not. Unlike some of the assertions in the Q&A I really do NOT believe that the general public will care enough about sound to start adopting MQA, unless it is forced at them - i.e. spotify and youtube move to MQA audio). 

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #32 of 702
Tidal Streaming: 24/352,8   MQA  !
Congratulations and thank you to all the teams : Meridian, Tidal,  Roon(hope soon), Mytec  
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #33 of 702
  Audirvana 3? Does that mean, just like with Audirvana 2, I'll have to pay more $$s to upgrade to Audirvana 3? (Not sure if that is known yet or not). Since i just bought audirvana 2 a few days back.

Also: reading through MQA Q&A thing, WOW lot of complex information about audio. Still trying to wrap my head around it. Question: If i do NOT have MQA capable DAC or player (which, it looks like, a lot of us will not), my understanding is that the information unpacked will just be 44.1/16 (regular CD) right? But the assertion is that it will still sound a bit better than the same thing in a regular 44.1/16 FLAC, lets say? (if that comparison makes sense).

I'm still a bit unsure about MQA tbh. What do you guys here think about MQA? Do you think it will be the next thing to take over audiophile community? (Let's leave the "will it take over audio community in general aside, as it likely will not. Unlike some of the assertions in the Q&A I really do NOT believe that the general public will care enough about sound to start adopting MQA, unless it is forced at them - i.e. spotify and youtube move to MQA audio). 

My gut feeling is that it will be another niche audio product, like SACD or DSD. I doubt most people have the level of quality equipment to be able to discern the difference in audio quality. And many that do don't want to tear down their current rigs to accommodate the new format, especially since many equipment manufacturers aren't looking like they are getting on board. 

Just my opinions, though.

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #34 of 702
  My gut feeling is that it will be another niche audio product, like SACD or DSD. I doubt most people have the level of quality equipment to be able to discern the difference in audio quality. And many that do don't want to tear down their current rigs to accommodate the new format, especially since many equipment manufacturers aren't looking like they are getting on board. 

Just my opinions, though.

That was my immediate first though as well. They do have some good ideas (I mean philosophically) though.

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #35 of 702
This will only catch on if Tidal starts releasing a sizable amount of music in the format and remastering older stuff. Right now, the amount of available music makes this a tough sell as far as purchasing MQA support gear is concerned. 

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #37 of 702

That means that most of the high end dac`s won't support it. So if the setting Passthrough MQA is not checked in tidal, does that mean that the computer does the job and not the dac? In that case, how much quality would get lost?

It seems that non MQA DACs are limited to 24/96 but on MQA certified DACs, the bit rate is showing crazy high numbers like 24/352.8. 

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #38 of 702
that means i am sure many new dac/amp will come out that will support mqa soon, and i bet chord will be one of them

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #39 of 702
This just pretty much confirms that Sennheiser (who is also partnered with Tidal). Is going to bring the HDVD 820 (or whatever they will call it) out with MQA support later this year. 

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #40 of 702
Loving the master quality. I didn't think it would make any audible difference, but as soon as I started listening i could tell the difference in 10 seconds very impressive I would recommend everyone who is skeptical to give this a try,

Is there a list of all the albums that are available in master or are the albums under the master section all of it?

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #43 of 702
Right now it appears just he couple hundred albums listed in the Master section of albums. Some excellent albums though to check out the high res. Don't get lost in numbers and just listen. I don't possess the requisite vocab to describe the audible differences, but it all feels more layered, more nuisanced. I mean 24/96 is amazing without any additional compatibility with MAQ. It may not be the big game changer, but what a pleasure for some deep listening.

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #45 of 702
Right now it appears just he couple hundred albums listed in the Master section of albums. Some excellent albums though to check out the high res. Don't get lost in numbers and just listen. I don't possess the requisite vocab to describe the audible differences, but it all feels more layered, more nuisanced. I mean 24/96 is amazing without any additional compatibility with MAQ. It may not be the big game changer, but what a pleasure for some deep listening.

There are definitely more albums besides those shown in "What's New". For example, "What's New" has "Turn Blue" by the Black Keys and "This Is All Yours" by alt-J. However, there are other albums available by both artists in the Master format. On the Windows desktop client, there are two apparently identical versions of these albums on the artist page. Playing tracks from one version will show HIFI, while the other version will show MASTER. There doesn't seem to be any way to find all of these albums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back