CES 2017 Highlights (Part 1 of 2) - Head-Fi TV
Jan 24, 2017 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

NOTE:  If you can't see the embedded video above, please CLICK HERE to see the video.

In this video, I go over some of my Head-Fi highlights from the 2017 Consumer Electronics Show (CES), including MQA, Audio-Technica, and Chord Electronics.

Products mentioned in the video:

1. MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) end-to-end technology audio format
  2. TIDAL music streaming service
  3. Meridian Prime DAC/amplifier
  4. Meridian Prime Power Supply power supply for the Meridian Prime
  5. Meridian Prime DAC/amplifier
  6. Meridian Explorer2 portable USB DAC/amplifier
  7. Onkyo DP-X1 digital audio player
  8. AudioQuest DragonFly Blakc and Red portable USB DAC/amplifier
  9. Meridian Prime DAC/amplifier
  10. Mytek Digital Brooklyn DAC
  11. Mytek Digital Clef portable Bluetooth DAC/amplfier
  12. Meridian Prime DAC/amplifier
  13. Audio-Technica ATH-DSR7BT wireless Bluetooth headphone
  14. Audio-Technica ATH-DSR9BT wireless Bluetooth headphone
  15. Astell&Kern AK70 digital audio player
  16. Astell&Kern AK300 digital audio player
  17. Astell&Kern AK320 digital audio player
  18. Astell&Kern AK380 digital audio player
  19. Chord Electronics Hugo 2 transportable DAC/amp

CES 2017 Highlights (Part 1) - Head-Fi TV produced by Joseph Cwik, Jude Mansilla, and Brian Murphy

Jan 25, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #2 of 6
Great video as always! You mentioned APTX HD, how does that compare to Sony's LDAC Bluetooth protocol? I currently own the Sony MDR-1000x and paired with my ZX2 the LDAC streaming sounds great. Using the MDR-1000x in both wired and wireless mode I can't discern a difference playing the same 16/44 ALAC or FLAC files.

Jan 26, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 6
Great video as always! You mentioned APTX HD, how does that compare to Sony's LDAC Bluetooth protocol? I currently own the Sony MDR-1000x and paired with my ZX2 the LDAC streaming sounds great. Using the MDR-1000x in both wired and wireless mode I can't discern a difference playing the same 16/44 ALAC or FLAC files.

@zeddun, thank you for the kind comment!

As for your question: That's a tough one to answer, as they're on different headphones completely at this point. While the Sony MDR-1000X is my favorite ANC headphone right now, for its crazy-effective ANC and sound quality for that type of headphone, the Audio-Technica ATH-DSR9BT is (for me) the better sounding headphones in a quieter environment, and for general listening. (Keep in mind the ATH-DSR9BT doesn't have ANC.)

I'm sorry I can't specifically answer your question yet.

Jan 26, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #5 of 6

@zeddun, thank you for the kind comment!

As for your question: That's a tough one to answer, as they're on different headphones completely at this point. While the Sony MDR-1000X is my favorite ANC headphone right now, for its crazy-effective ANC and sound quality for that type of headphone, the Audio-Technica ATH-DSR9BT is (for me) the better sounding headphones in a quieter environment, and for general listening. (Keep in mind the ATH-DSR9BT doesn't have ANC.)

I'm sorry I can't specifically answer your question yet.

Thanks for the response Jude and thanks for all the great head-fi work.  Wonder if AT will release an ANC version of the wireless headphone in the future.  I agree with you that my ZX2 sounds pretty good with the MDR-1000X with LDAC streaming playing 16/44 FLAC or ALAC files and up to 24/96 files.

Jan 27, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #6 of 6
Great video, Jude. The D-note technology on those Audio Technicas had me intrigued since I first heard of them. Watched a youtube video a year ago of a car audio guy opening up a Clarion speaker with the same tech and got a better idea of how the whole thing works. Also got to hear that same Clarion setup in a closed test room at a local car show some months later. Not an expert in that area and have no idea how it would rate against the setups of competing car audio brands, but I really liked what I heard that day. It was my favourite of all the test rooms at the show. Warm yet crisp. I don't think it'll revolutionize the industry or anything like that, but it's nice to see different tech for a change. Looking forward to what you have to share on those new DSR models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back