Centrance upcoming product for Iphone 5 above and Ipod Touch 5 : Hi Fi SKYN
Feb 10, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #1,126 of 1,140
  Just replying to my own post. I guess there's not to much enthusiasm for the hifi skyn. Well, I'm still enjoying mine. There's gotta be somebody out there besides me. No?

I'm afraid for a lot of us that backed this project early on, we didn't get our Skyns for well over year and many of us had long moved on by that time. I got mine, tested it out for a short while, and put it in a drawer where it has stayed ever since... A lot of people didn't even have the device they bought it for by the time it showed up. The delivery time really killed the enthusiasm for this device.

I'm glad you're enjoying yours.

Feb 12, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #1,129 of 1,140
I'm still using mine with an 64GB iPod Touch to run Tidal.

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #1,130 of 1,140
I use mine frequently (iPod) and it really is a great DAP especially for streaming tidal, and checking emails. I also have a dragonfly black but I prefer the sound of the hifi skyn, although I carry both in my backpack .... I tend to use the dragonfly black as a DAC for my MacBook Pro where I have the ability to knock down .5 - 1db in that 6k-8k range that bothers my ears with the dragonfly black.

Feb 15, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #1,131 of 1,140
It would surprise me if we see new Skyn products in the future. What was a very cool idea for CEntrance becomes difficult to maintain, as Apple is just too unpredictable when it comes to future shapes, sizes and release dates of new iPhones and iPods. 

CEntrance's own DACportable is more versatile since you can use it with your computer as well as phone/dap (although it's a bit chunky for your pocket). 

Jun 9, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #1,132 of 1,140
I've been using my iPhone 5 with this for quite a while now. I charge it every night and take it with me each day. Sadly haven't been using my 6plus version much because of size. I'm happily carrying this instead of individual components which this solves. Highly awaiting the blueDAC though :)

Jun 9, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #1,133 of 1,140
I have and love the iPhone 5 Skyn, but... what's a Blue DAC?

Jun 10, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #1,134 of 1,140
Jun 10, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #1,135 of 1,140
A Bluetooth DAC, the first phrase of its description being, "Take your favorite headphones, plug them into BlueDAC, and start streaming from your phone." (?).

Jun 10, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #1,136 of 1,140
My 6 year old decided to play with my skyn and totally destroyed it, ended up in the trash. I never really used that much, the whole charging was kind of a pain, but overall it sounded nice, however I wish it had a little more power, even at high gain I still had to go really high to get my Sines going and it was kind of bulky too. I ended up using my black dragonfly with CCK a whole lot more.

Aug 16, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #1,137 of 1,140
Who's still using their Hifi-Skyn? Did anyone try updating the case to fit a newer iPhone as was talked about on the Kickstarter? At first I used mine mostly for traveling but once I started using Roon at home my iPhone 6s+ with Hifi Skyn became a multi-room endpoint/dac/amp. I use it in the hammock outside, the living room and at a dedicated listening chair with a plug-in amp. I had the battery replaced in my iPhone to get the most out of this combo and when I finally do get a new iPhone I'll make this one an iPod and keep using it with the Skyn and Roon. The Hifi-Skyn sounds awesome and pairs well with all the headphones I've thrown at it. I also use it as a DAC/preamp with some nice Morrow Audio 2.5 mini plug to RCA cables. I hope to be able to keep using it but the lightning connector is getting loose so I try not to take my phone out of the case. Not as big of a deal during the pandemic but later I might get tired of the size/weight of carrying the 6s+ Hifi-Skyn everywhere I go - weighs down my shorts and doesn't fit well into my bike or car phone mount. I've been a big fan of CEntrance since the first DacPort. I know a lot of people were upset about the Kickstarter process for the Skyn but waiting longer than anticipated seems to be par for course on Kickstarter and it seemed that Michael Goodman did everything he could to help the process along during some unexpected roadblocks. I'd still buy from CEntrance because you get great sound and value. I've used both of my portable Dac/Amps from them for several years and they seem to stay relevant in my systems for longer than some other pieces of audio gear.
2A6E4523-127C-430D-BBB9-E5C4347861A3.jpeg

Aug 16, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #1,138 of 1,140
Who's still using their Hifi-Skyn? Did anyone try updating the case to fit a newer iPhone as was talked about on the Kickstarter? At first I used mine mostly for traveling but once I started using Roon at home my iPhone 6s+ with Hifi Skyn became a multi-room endpoint/dac/amp. I use it in the hammock outside, the living room and at a dedicated listening chair with a plug-in amp. I had the battery replaced in my iPhone to get the most out of this combo and when I finally do get a new iPhone I'll make this one an iPod and keep using it with the Skyn and Roon. The Hifi-Skyn sounds awesome and pairs well with all the headphones I've thrown at it. I also use it as a DAC/preamp with some nice Morrow Audio 2.5 mini plug to RCA cables. I hope to be able to keep using it but the lightning connector is getting loose so I try not to take my phone out of the case. Not as big of a deal during the pandemic but later I might get tired of the size/weight of carrying the 6s+ Hifi-Skyn everywhere I go - weighs down my shorts and doesn't fit well into my bike or car phone mount. I've been a big fan of CEntrance since the first DacPort. I know a lot of people were upset about the Kickstarter process for the Skyn but waiting longer than anticipated seems to be par for course on Kickstarter and it seemed that Michael Goodman did everything he could to help the process along during some unexpected roadblocks. I'd still buy from CEntrance because you get great sound and value. I've used both of my portable Dac/Amps from them for several years and they seem to stay relevant in my systems for longer than some other pieces of audio gear.2A6E4523-127C-430D-BBB9-E5C4347861A3.jpeg
Thank you so much for the good words!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back