Centrance upcoming product for Iphone 5 above and Ipod Touch 5 : Hi Fi SKYN
Feb 27, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #976 of 1,140
Yuri,
Most of the slack I'll cut them over this is because of the much longer delay from LH Labs. And if you take away Apple's delay time and just look at CEntrance's, it is not that bad.

Well yeah, compared to having cancer, this ain't so bad! Gotta love the logic there. And if you think delays were the only problem with this campaign, you haven't been paying attention.

Feb 27, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #977 of 1,140
I think nobody would say that this campaign was "well managed" and I am sure CEntrance knows this very well.

However, moving on. They seem to have learned from their mistakes and are now offering a product soon that has no dependencies on third parties and not as many options. There they can proof if lessons are learned and internalized. 

Based on the quality of all the CEntrance products I have used - it's probably worth a look. I have never been disappointed with this company's products.And am still a huge fan of the GloveAudio A1

Looking forward to my iPhone 6 Skÿn, it's been a while and I can't wait to have it soon.

Cheers!

Mar 1, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #978 of 1,140
  I think nobody would say that this campaign was "well managed" and I am sure CEntrance knows this very well.

However, moving on. They seem to have learned from their mistakes and are now offering a product soon that has no dependencies on third parties and not as many options. There they can proof if lessons are learned and internalized. 

Based on the quality of all the CEntrance products I have used - it's probably worth a look. I have never been disappointed with this company's products.And am still a huge fan of the GloveAudio A1

I agree and I'm actually quite excited about this new product.

Does this make my HiFi M8 obsolete?

Mar 1, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #979 of 1,140

I agree and I'm actually quite excited about this new product.

Does this make my HiFi M8 obsolete?

Not really unless you only use your M8 for the iPod/iPhone.

Mar 1, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #982 of 1,140
The HiFi-M8 should have more power, although Centrance was never specific (as far as I remember) about the exact specs (website says up to 1.4W, 1W typical) but don't know what impedance load that's into... The Skyn does 300mw per channel into 32ohms

Still a place for me with my M8 given the 4-pin XLR output

Mar 2, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #983 of 1,140
The HiFi-M8 should have more power, although Centrance was never specific (as far as I remember) about the exact specs (website says up to 1.4W, 1W typical) but don't know what impedance load that's into... The Skyn does 300mw per channel into 32ohms

Hi - sorry to discuss this product on this thread. I have so many questions regarding this product but not sure where to post ...

First of all, why did Centrance design this product? Was it supposed to be a portable M8 without some of the features such as the XLR output?

How will this sound vs. the Skyn, the M8 ... etc.?

Will it work with an iPhone and lightning cable?

What does the specially tuned version mean?

Just looking at the description, it seems like a M8 killer, Skyn killer etc. etc.

Mar 2, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #984 of 1,140

Hi - sorry to discuss this product on this thread. I have so many questions regarding this product but not sure where to post ...

First of all, why did Centrance design this product? Was it supposed to be a portable M8 without some of the features such as the XLR output?

How will this sound vs. the Skyn, the M8 ... etc.?

Will it work with an iPhone and lightning cable?

What does the specially tuned version mean?

Just looking at the description, it seems like a M8 killer, Skyn killer etc. etc.

Are you talking about the new backing project dacportable ?

Mar 2, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #986 of 1,140

Are you talking about the new backing project dacportable ?

Hi - yes, sorry! I was refering to the Dacportable.

Have you read the information at both the Indiegogo and CEntrance site? The link below is to the CEntrance product site, which does talk a little about their history and how they see the product in respect to their current and previous generations of portables:

http://centrance.com/products/dacportable/

Mar 2, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #987 of 1,140
I think the biggest difference is that Dacportable won't take digital out from the iPhone without the CCK. They mention that this time around, no 3rd party approval required, so it won't be mfi certified.

So it's more for Android phone users (and laptop on-the-go users of course). For iPhone, the Skyn or M8 still has a place as it can connect directly to the phone.

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #988 of 1,140
I think the biggest difference is that Dacportable won't take digital out from the iPhone without the CCK. They mention that this time around, no 3rd party approval required, so it won't be mfi certified.

So it's more for Android phone users (and laptop on-the-go users of course). For iPhone, the Skyn or M8 still has a place as it can connect directly to the phone.

That is super helpful. Since my primary device is the iPhone / iPod, looks like this is not the device for me.

@sheldaze - Thanks! I looked through their Ingiegogo site, but not the Centrance website. I will go through it.

Mar 3, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #989 of 1,140
To my surprise, the new DACportable campaign does note at the bottom, " ** Native iOS compatibility pending Apple approval."  So I guess the Apple CCK will not be needed after all, but we'll have to wait for Apple approval again.

Moving this conversation to the dedicated DACportable thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/800168/new-centrance-dacportable-dac-amp#post_12385871

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #990 of 1,140
***UPDATE: The $339 was a typo, and has been corrected by Michael.  It now shows $399, just as on the HiFi Skyn IGG page and the CEntrance website.

I noticed on the DACportable page that Skyns are available for $339. I believe I pledged a grand total of $2 less than that, including the better DAC and amp extreme that I ponied up for.

Don't get me wrong. I love the sound of my Skyn. But I sit here wondering exactly what advantage was gained by being a very early backer....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back