Centrance upcoming product for Iphone 5 above and Ipod Touch 5 : Hi Fi SKYN
Dec 30, 2014 at 11:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,140

rudi0504

Headphoneus Supremus
Centrance new upcoming product for Iphone 5 above and Ipod Touch 5 is Hi Fi Skyn
This product is base from their award wining Hi Fi M8 and Hi Fi M8 Mini

http://Igg.me/at/hifi-skyn

Product Specifications
DIMENSIONS: 172 mm x 64 mm x 20 mm (LxWxH) *
CASE MATERIAL: Impact-resistant PC plastic, colors TBD
POWER: AC adapter & rechargeable battery
BATTERY LIFE: 10 hrs on full charge (estimated)
AUDIO TRANSFER: Lightning jack, asynch digital audio
OUTPUT JACK: 3.5 mm headphone plug
THD+N: .001% (estimated)
FREQ. RESPONSE: 20Hz...40kHz
OUTPUT POWER: 160 mW per channel (32 Ohm load)
COMPATIBILITY: iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPod Touch 5G
* Dimensions listed for the Phone 5 model

Dec 30, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #2 of 1,140
It seems like the amp portion of the case can detach from the phone portion?
If this is so, then I'd find this very tempting. Already had a great experience with the HiFi M8 so I'm expecting this to be similar.

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #3 of 1,140
Oh man, oh man.

Centrance is on a roll. While I am debating the whole Gloveaudio A1 purchase , this beauty comes along.

Decisions, decisions....

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #4 of 1,140
Hello Hi-Fi Skyn!!!
L3000.gif

I no longer have to put up with that damn inferior sound from the onboard phones jack and as far as the Lightning connector is concerned, it is moot point now!!! I will definitely order one in black for my newly-obtained iPod touch 5th Generation as soon as both someone helps me figure out the genre issues I have with it (as mentioned about here at http://www.head-fi.org/t/748429/help-my-ipod-touch-5th-generation-wont-read-genre-titles-that-start-with-the-word-the-why), and also after I pay off all my debts. I am definitely looking into getting one so I can use my lineup of cans with it.

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 1,140
This is tempting and I may go for it - just got an email from indigogo.  It's great that it adds battery life, provides good quality sound (even hi def), etc.  However, who has enough memory on their iphones to store DSD files?  I think this is most appropriate for streaming and the limited memory storage available on an iphone.  I wish Apple would allow memory cards (e.g. micro SD) to supplement storage on the iphone.  Then it could be a REAL DAP.  Without that, I can't really see it as one.  Am I missing anything?  Peter (also in Port Townsend WA)

Jan 2, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #6 of 1,140
Interesting. I almost bought an itouch a few weeks ago just to get spotify on the move. This would certainly help my decision to pick one up. Hi SQ player with spotify for $400 (itouch cost plus $200) beats paying $800 for a Sony or x7. Imagine that it had internal storage sd card that worked with the touch. That would be something I'd pay extra for.

Jan 3, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #7 of 1,140
  This is tempting and I may go for it - just got an email from indigogo.  It's great that it adds battery life, provides good quality sound (even hi def), etc.  However, who has enough memory on their iphones to store DSD files?  I think this is most appropriate for streaming and the limited memory storage available on an iphone.  I wish Apple would allow memory cards (e.g. micro SD) to supplement storage on the iphone.  Then it could be a REAL DAP.  Without that, I can't really see it as one.  Am I missing anything?  Peter (also in Port Townsend WA)

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!........ (Uh oh, I don''t wanna go of on a Daniel Bryan trip here!) yet another Head-Fi'er right here in PT!!! I almost bailed on this site and its scene and threads altogether and revisited just to get the frustrating problem I mentioned above (see link to it on this thread on my previous post). Also, I am thinking of dumping my all of my Walkmen (excluding my MZ-RH1 Hi-MD/MiniDisc Walkman so I can upload my HUGE collection of leagcy MiniDiscs to convert them into 256kb MP3 for my touch and my classic) since I now have my fair share of iPods (two nano 6th Generation 16GB in silver, two nano 5G (one in orange for my 1963 VW Bus and one in black for my 1999 New Beetle, both 16GB, as well as an iPod classic 160GB in black as well as the iPod touch 5 in black with 64GB). BTW, what neighborhood in PT are you from? I currently reside here at Towne Point and have since moving into that community back in July, and I've resided in PT since 1987, moving up here from L.A. (Born and raised in L.A.), but anyways, keep rockin' the cans or IEM's like I do!!!! I've gotta go update all the info on my signature, it's been a long time for me here.

L3000.gif

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #8 of 1,140
I ordered a SKYN have the iPhone 6 plus

I am hoping it won't be as long sticking out as shown with the iPhone 5

Having the DAC amp section detachable FROM THE BATTERY CASE ...would be simply amazing.

My end ideal use for it will be for streaming from tidalhifi.com.

Likely I will use some JH audio IEM with it. If only it could run tubes...which seem to be the only thing to tame digititius.

Jan 4, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #9 of 1,140
The price is good and I am tempted to back it. What worries me is the potential hiss with IEMs, which is a problem with their (Mini-)M8.

Jan 4, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #10 of 1,140
The price is good and I am tempted to back it. What worries me is the potential hiss with IEMs, which is a problem with their (Mini-)M8.

Wow after owning HiFi-M8 for a year I thought mini M8 was supposed to cure the hiss issue?
What IEMs do you have that exhibits this?

The hiss was a main reason I moved to iFi micro iDSD.

Wonder I f Skyn gets more mW will Michael G consider a gain switch somewhere?

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #11 of 1,140
Wow after owning HiFi-M8 for a year I thought mini M8 was supposed to cure the hiss issue?
What IEMs do you have that exhibits this?

The hiss was a main reason I moved to iFi micro iDSD.

Wonder I f Skyn gets more mW will Michael G consider a gain switch somewhere?

I do not have the Mini M8 but I have seen a couple reports about the hiss. One of them is here.

Jan 4, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #12 of 1,140
I am trying to decide between getting an iPhone 6 and a 6+, and I backed the hifi-skyn so I guess I need to choose soon. I am thinking the 6+ would just be outrageously big with the hifi-skyn, but I'm not so sure that the regular 6 with the skyn will be pocketable either, and I do like interacting with the bigger screen. So far, I've only seen size specs for the iphone 5 version of the skyn, and even that is pretty long. I don't wear skinny jeans or anything, but my pockets can only handle so much.  

Jan 8, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #13 of 1,140
Giving this thread a bump, because this is an interesting product from CEntrance--but also because they've asked if we could give them some love in one of their backers email :p

Here is the IGG link  (generic, so I'm not profitting from any referrals).

Anyway, looks like they will have cases for the iPhone 5, the 6 and 6+ but still looking to address the Android world.

As a backer, I'm hoping really for more power to drive power-hungry headphones. And dual mono into a TRRS socket would be nice.

Also, if the docking unit can adapt to, say, an iPad Mini...I would probably back the IGG again. From the mock ups in the site, it seems that this might be possible with some DIY, but it would be great if CEntrance can make it iPhone/iPad compatible with just the DAC/Amp module.

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #15 of 1,140

As a backer, I'm hoping really for more power to drive power-hungry headphones. And dual mono into a TRRS socket would be nice.

Also, if the docking unit can adapt to, say, an iPad Mini...I would probably back the IGG again. From the mock ups in the site, it seems that this might be possible with some DIY, but it would be great if CEntrance can make it iPhone/iPad compatible with just the DAC/Amp module.

1.  CEntrance has never done a dual-mono DAC before have they?  seems strange they'd try to cram that in this small space.
if they couldn't/wouldn't do dual-mono in larger M8/mini-M8....

2.  agreed on the docking unit for multiple device usage.  without such a feature I remain disinterested in a dac/amp really limited to my (current) fone form factor.
except the early-bird pricing is legitimately low enough IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back