CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
May 28, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #961 of 1,412
With the dynamics, the impedance spike manifests very clearly as a boost in the frequency response. It's not unpleasant, and the effect is generally small with the likes of the Senn HD580+. It's much more noticeable with the HD595 which swings from something like 50 to 250, but then you're also jumping from above and below the "1:8" rule. Changing in damping are not noticeable when you have the frequency shift to contend with.

With planars, there is no change in frequency response and the differences in damping are barely noticeable. I can pick them apart if I'm A/B'ing the two right next to each other and listening to a very small repeated section of music over and over. There's no way I'd be able to tell the difference if I had any time in between.

May 30, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #962 of 1,412
I have a very small dislike about the dacmini, practically. I love everything about it, except the default input is being USB every time i turn ON the device. I use the coax input, so every time i want to listen music i need to turn the knob to coax. Why don't they just make it being able to stay at the last input we chosen? I prefer something like attenuator select could be better.

May 30, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #963 of 1,412
Couldn't agree more. Everytime I turn it on, I have to go through all inputs to reach USB input.

May 30, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #964 of 1,412
Couldn't agree more. Everytime I turn it on, I have to go through all inputs to reach USB input.

But the selection switch IS the on/off switch. You can go from "off" to "USB" with one click. I can see a minor gripe with coax or optical, but "line" and "USB" are right next to the "off" detent/positions.

May 30, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #965 of 1,412
Um, you guys know that the power/input selector can start on either side, depending which way you turn it...

If the device is off and you turn the knob to the left (counterclockwise), the selector will start on the right.
If the device is off and you turn the knob to the right (clockwise), the selector will start on the left

May 30, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #966 of 1,412
Wow! I thought it was one way only!! Thanks for tip! I feel quite dumb for not trying it the other way

May 30, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #967 of 1,412
Quote:

I don't usually watch unboxing videos, but I just happened to watch this one posted a long time ago by Head-Fier roker.

I was laughing out loud at this exchange between roker and the camerawoman.

camerawoman: What is this?
roker: This is an amp/DAC, baby.
camerawoman: Another one?
roker: I sold the other ones. This is a disease. We’re all afflicted by this disease on Head-Fi.org.
camerawoman: That means I can buy another pair of shoes?
roker: You’re gonna buy ‘em anyway. 

Thanks for sharing, roker, and thanks for giving me the best chuckle of the day.

woot!

glad you enjoyed it!  

I was a tad bit overweight back then, kind of hard to believe, but In a few months I will have had it for 2 years and I still use it.  

May 30, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #968 of 1,412
Um, you guys know that the power/input selector can start on either side, depending which way you turn it...

If the device is off and you turn the knob to the left (counterclockwise), the selector will start on the right.
If the device is off and you turn the knob to the right (clockwise), the selector will start on the left

Now i wish they put the coax at the very left :frowning2: ...good information btw.

May 30, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #969 of 1,412
Seriously guys, from the off position it's at most two clicks to get to any particular input. It's a half second of effort.

Jun 1, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #971 of 1,412
Jun 2, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #972 of 1,412
After recieving the Dacmini CX on friday. I do consider it an upgrade above my Dacport LX. I've been using the Dacmini CX along with my Hifiman HE-500 and 400 Headphones and they sound awesome. One thing for sure is that the Dacmini CX surprisingly is on par with my DX100.
I thought the CX would've blown away my IBasso DX100 but they're both on par with each other in terms of sound quality. Some people complained about the overly bright sound signature with the HE-500 on the CX but i haven't experienced that at all with the CX.

The bass in the CX is ridiculously good. It sounds a bit better on the CX in terms of bass quality for the HE-500/HE-400, i just can't believe how clean and detail the bass sounds in this unit. The Soundstage is pretty much the same on both. Both of the Mids and highs are clean on both of the Units but the DX100 highs feels a bit more extended. The CX seems more natural, but less airiness than the DX100. The DX100 definatetly has better treble extension , more detail/seperation, and sounds more refined/Reference is what i would describe it. This test was with firmware 1.2.7 of the DX100. The Clarity is a tab bright and clear on 1.2.7. Which gives off a bit more microdetail. I've always been a fan of the ESS 9018 Sabre. The CX and DX100 both give off this sense of euphorica. If i could describe the color of the sound of the DX100 it would be Sunny Orange. The CX sound color would seem to be the color of Sky Blue.

But all that doesn't amaze me as much as the CX and it's musicality and naturality. The Music feels like Natural elements. It definately gives my He-500 and He-400 a better imaging , tone, and the music felt a bit real compared to the DX100, it feels alive. I think that is part of the reason of why i want to get the Hifiman 901 music player. The CX sounds so lovely and musical to my ears, while still giving off great detail and Transparency. The Sonic Sound signature of the CX sounds so beautiful and quick. It definately gives my headphones that sonic pairing i've always wanted. and OMG the bass just rocks my socks off !

The CX soundstage is wide, and has the best bass quality i've ever heard from a source. It sounds alot like the Dacpot LX that i've recently owned but better. Im at the point where I may just sell my Dx100 and use the CX as my music source since my dad already has a DX100 of his own and barely uses it. Im at a tough decision because if the Hifi M8 is better than the CX, I will for sure buy the M8. Centrance continues to impress me each time I buy a product from them. The Dacport LX was a great starting source for me, although i had to use a USB hub recommended from Lee, because at first i wasn't getting enough power from the unit. and it made the sound really veil. The CX and DX100 both have an Amazing Internal amp section and both is clearly a step above The Dacport LX.

If the M8 is better than the CX then i have no reason to jump to another DAP ( HM901). The CX and DX100 seems to both be on par with each other in terms of Overall Sound Quality, and they both give off a different sound signature that makes me enjoy music in a different way. It was very hard for me to describe how they compete with each other  because they both sound remarkable!. The CX is still definately an impressive piece of Audio, I may just sell my DX100 and get the M8.

Next week on my day off ill be able to test the CX with the HE-6, ill report back to you guys soon :). Excellent Job Centrance, You've made me a big fan of your audio these past 2 days. Keep up the good work :D, You have an excellent company Michael :)

Jun 2, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #973 of 1,412
My impressions about dacmini cx mirrors to yours. Its definitely an upgrade from dacport lx. In term of bass..clarity...neutrality...musicality...is exactly like what u said as i like it much too. However...i feel like the amp section of dacmini is not enough muscle to pump the harder to drive cans. I tried it using hd650 and the T1. The dacmini can drive them fine but somehow i feel like a bit of loosing its juicyness. Not enough oomph and requires just a bit sense of a warmth. I feel like the amp section of the dacmini is tend to be sort of bonus to the dac it self. Having said that...i like its dac section quality over the amp section of dacmini. (Currently i am using dacmini' dac + burson soloist).

If i compare the dac alone between my clas db / fostex hpp1 / dacmini....they almost the same. They are very good in term of detail and clarity. But i will rate fostex hpp1 on top of the three in term of smoothness and the dacmini in term of more natural...more intimate...and more bodied to the sound.

I had my chance to compare my ak100 vs the dacmini (as an amp)....to me...the sound of dacmini is WAY better in everything than the ak100.

Jun 2, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #974 of 1,412
Quote:
My impressions about dacmini cx mirrors to yours. Its definitely an upgrade from dacport lx. In term of bass..clarity...neutrality...musicality...is exactly like what u said as i like it much too. However...i feel like the amp section of dacmini is not enough muscle to pump the harder to drive cans. I tried it using hd650 and the T1. The dacmini can drive them fine but somehow i feel like a bit of loosing its juicyness. Not enough oomph and requires just a bit sense of a warmth. I feel like the amp section of the dacmini is tend to be sort of bonus to the dac it self. Having said that...i like its dac section quality over the amp section of dacmini. (Currently i am using dacmini' dac + burson soloist).

If i compare the dac alone between my clas db / fostex hpp1 / dacmini....they almost the same. They are very good in term of detail and clarity. But i will rate fostex hpp1 on top of the three in term of smoothness and the dacmini in term of more natural...more intimate...and more bodied to the sound.

I had my chance to compare my ak100 vs the dacmini (as an amp)....to me...the sound of dacmini is WAY better in everything than the ak100.

The CX seemed to drive my HE-500 very well to my liking at least. The HE-500 do improve alot when it gets power. But i think it's the way they recieve power. However if i use the Emotiva Mini X a-100 or the JDS Labs O2 on the DX100 Lineout then use the HE-500, it's a much better performer than the Dacmini CX. I still like how the HE-500 sounds on the Dacmini CX reguardless though. I love the Natural tone it gives the music. I haven't listened to any other source ever since i got the DX100, and hearing music in a different way definately makes me intrigued with the CX. With the DX100 without an external amp vs the CX, they both seemed to be on par with each other. Also im using the Mid Gain of the DX100. The High Gain of the DX100 only found useful for different firmwares. But still overall Im very impressed with the DACmini. It drove my HE-400 effortless :D, and gave my Grado's a musical taste :p.

EDIT: I would also like to add that theQ701's sounds waaaaaaaay better on the CX than my DX100. It gives my Q701's a much more easy listening balanced sound. The DX100 makes the Q701's sound way to agressive.The highs felt to strong on the DX100. But I now have a source that i can listen to my dad's Q701's with. Very Happy :D as the Q701's is one of my favorite headphones ^_^

Jun 2, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #975 of 1,412
I think we have a similar taste here :D
I too love driving my ps500 via dacmini. It so musical and the sound is so alive without feeling any sibilant and harshness. Really love the sound actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back