CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
Aug 2, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #423 of 1,412
Aug 5, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #425 of 1,412

So it's been about 2 months or so since I've had my DACmini, and I think it's a pretty fantastic unit.... I was going to compare it directly to the Mbox2 that it replaced, but I just cannot be bothered hooking that piece of junk up and reinstalling the drivers. I stand behind what I said before that the DACmini has far more resolution/detail, yet without pushing the highs to achieve it, it's just 'there'. The bass has more extension and is much tighter/faster, which I suspect has to do with the with the fact that the DACmini takes it's power from a brick, whereas the Mbox2 is solely USB powered.

Now as I mentioned before, I'm an audio editor, and I'm often listening to very soft sound, like dialogue at -40dBFS to -50dBFS. I chose to get the DACMini in stock configuration, which is the +8 gain. If I had to do it all over, I'd certainly get the +10 gain mod. Listening to music with modern mastering levels is completely satisfying, even on my 600Ohm AKGs.... but they simply aren't loud enough on the AKGs, and even my 32ohm Grados struggle for SPL when I'm editing soft material.

Interestingly enough, I've broken out my old Fostex T20RPs to edit on, because they were within arms reach and are about 1/10th the impedance of the AKGs (and hence a bit louder) and I'm now an orthodynamic convert. All my other headphones seem to be artificially sweetened somehow... I love the rich warm sound of the Fostex.... but now I'm eyeing up the LCD-2s as my next pair of cans.... even though they're 5dB quieter than the fostex T20RPs....

Do people here love the LCD-2 / DACMini combo?

Can the +10 Gain mod be done after-the-fact? Is it something I could potentially do myself?

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #426 of 1,412

Quote:

Interestingly enough, I've broken out my old Fostex T20RPs to edit on, because they were within arms reach and are about 1/10th the impedance of the AKGs (and hence a bit louder) and I'm now an orthodynamic convert. All my other headphones seem to be artificially sweetened somehow... I love the rich warm sound of the Fostex.... but now I'm eyeing up the LCD-2s as my next pair of cans.... even though they're 5dB quieter than the fostex T20RPs....

Do people here love the LCD-2 / DACMini combo?

One of us...one of us...become one of us...lol.

I'd be hard-pressed to think of another dac and amp at the price of the DACMini that I like as much with the LCD-2.  Good detail, pleasing non-fatiguing sound, well presented imaging, though (to my ears) with less extension in the lower end than my other discrete dekstop DACs and amps.  The caveat, of course, is that the component DACs and amps I have can cost at least as much as (or a lot more than) the DACMini does as an all-in-one.

Aug 5, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #427 of 1,412
I really like the DACmini with the LCD-2, but I recently added a Schiit Lyr and there is no going back to the DACmini alone. I listen mainly to classical music and the weight of the orchestra and the air around it are reproduced much more satisfactorily with the Lyr in the chain.

Of course, the DACmini+Lyr is more expensive than the DACmini alone, but not prohibitively so and I think there is good synergy between the two. 

Aug 6, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #428 of 1,412
Crap.  Now I am scared! We Hamsters are afraid of ketchup!

Aug 6, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #429 of 1,412
BTW, I have a set of LCD-2 on order and now I am pretty sure they will be joined by a CEntrance Dacmini soon.  This has been a great thread to get impressions about the product.  I will let people know how it compares to my current Keces 151/RSA Hornet/SE530 setup.  I find that setup a touch bright for long listening and find that the IEMs are a little fatiguing after a couple of hours of listening.

Aug 6, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #430 of 1,412

Quote:
BTW, I have a set of LCD-2 on order and now I am pretty sure they will be joined by a CEntrance Dacmini soon.  This has been a great thread to get impressions about the product.  I will let people know how it compares to my current Keces 151/RSA Hornet/SE530 setup.  I find that setup a touch bright for long listening and find that the IEMs are a little fatiguing after a couple of hours of listening.

Note, I have no idea how the Rev 2 LCD-2 will sound with the DACmini, but hopefully not brighter.  With my Rev 1 LCD-2 it's perfect.

Aug 6, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #431 of 1,412
I honestly don't use my DACMini that much, but while with the LCD-2 rev 2 there's a little more treble presence and extension, it's not so much that it gets overly bright, IMO.  I'm listening right now to some Japanese music tracks that I know are mixed on the hot side, and they sound fine.  For the record, I'm kind of sensitive to brightness and probably quicker to shy away from it than many people.

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #432 of 1,412
anyone have any insight how this little guy does with the T1 and HD650? 

Aug 9, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #433 of 1,412
Good question.  I may have to try out a T1 again at the next meet, but I'm guessing that it would work pretty well with the DACMini if you're looking for mid tones and clarity.  Off some amps, I found the T1s I've heard to sometimes be a little harsh on the high end, which I personally don't find as a trait of the DACMini.  Please take this as the pure speculation it is, as I haven't heard the combo myself and am only basing this off of recollections of the T1.  Give me a little over a week and a half and I can get back to ya though. 
wink_face.gif

Aug 9, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #434 of 1,412

Quote:
Good question.  I may have to try out a T1 again at the next meet, but I'm guessing that it would work pretty well with the DACMini if you're looking for mid tones and clarity.  Off some amps, I found the T1s I've heard to sometimes be a little harsh on the high end, which I personally don't find as a trait of the DACMini.  Please take this as the pure speculation it is, as I haven't heard the combo myself and am only basing this off of recollections of the T1.  Give me a little over a week and a half and I can get back to ya though. 
wink_face.gif

lol thank you!   i normally like tubes vs not, but this 1 box unit seems interesting to me.   not 100% sold on it yet but your impressions do help a lot. thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back