CEntrance DACmini CX + Denon D7000
Mar 30, 2012 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dukeskd

1000+ Head-Fier
Anyone who had this combo before, what do you think? (The 10 ohm output impedance would be great if you could describe)
I checked the main thread of the DACMini, no info on this, so please do not refer me there, as is usually the case here.

Mar 30, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #3 of 5
I can't vouch for it personally, but lots of people report using Denons (well D2000, D5000, D7000 at least; I haven't heard about all the others) on higher output impedance sources and don't hear anything wrong with that.  With just 10 ohms output impedance you'd expect a pretty small change in frequency response with those headphones, like a small bump in the sub-bass under 0.5 dB at most.  I wouldn't think it's anything to be concerned with.

Mar 30, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
Mine sound great.  I feel no need to get the 1 ohm mod.  Why ruin a good thing?

Word brotha. I just got the DACMini, and I can say that it enlarged the soundstage on my D7ks and the mids and highs have been improved. However, the bass is not changed that much but it's "tighter". I used the Burson HA160DS before this and for my music type (electronica/rock) it was great. The DACMini has lower PRaT and the bass is a bit too slow for that music but it still sounds good! But I am astonished at how much more depth the soundstage received and there is more air to breath between the instrument separation. I am using the 10 ohm output version right now.

Between the Burson and the DACmini, I feel that that the DAC in the DACmini is better than the one in the Burson especially by USB playing 24/96 FLAC files through foobar. However, I wish there was more info on the amp in the DACmini, all we know it is a Class A amp.

Also wanted to mention, if you produce music and need headphones for referencing at the studio, the DACmini is more suitable for that as a dac + amp because there is evidently little lag between the DAW and the hardware. It is very well engineered/efficient and does not "heat up" like the Burson did in my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back