CEntrance Ampersand balanced portable headphone amplifier
Feb 21, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #136 of 172
I easily drive the DCA Stealth with my Ampersand on medium gain, using either headphone out or proper line out from various DAPs. Even running single ended line in, not balanced. It's great to be able to enjoy the Stealths at work and easily pack everything in my bag, not having a desktop amp taking up space on the desk.

Feb 21, 2023 at 2:23 AM Post #137 of 172
How much does the Ampersand change the DAP's voicing and impart it's own? My preference is for the amplification to amplify without adding or taking anything as I like the sound of my DAP. I just need more juice....

Also- is the M8 dac going to be better than any dap- as a dac or not necessarily. I love my Sony wmz1 m2 sound and would love to keep it is is- just with more gain.

I say your Pm as well so I will answer here...
I Use these last months mainly the CE Ampersand with a moded WM1A by Nayparm (with a load of huge capacitors) with some MrWalkman cooked firmware so I would say the sound quality is no longer a pure "Sony" .. but it's probably, by a big margin, my favourite SQ between all my portable devices (FIIO M8/M11/M17, Kann Alpha, R6Pro, BTR7, UP4(2022), iFiGoblu)..
To tell the truth, I can't really say the Ampersand has no effect on Sound Quality on headphones, as I only use this amp with a huge pleasure with the power hungry DCA Stealth and sometimes the HEDDPhone One => both of these headphones can't be moved properly directly by the WM1A (I used as portable amp also the Centrance M8V2, LESS BX2+, ..).
The Ampersand offers the real chance to the WM1A to move more or less properly the DCA Stealth like the FIIO M17 does (even in Audio Enhanced mode).
I can't make any A/B comparison with my TOTL headphones (WM1A is not powerful enough without the Ampersand) , but with the Sony Z7M2 => I don't feel any real sound quality changes at same volume level with or without Ampersand in the path. The M8V2 has some little background hiss in BT Receiver mode, but not in USB-C Input mode)

For me the Ampersand is :
-> perfect with the WM1A to drive power hungry headphones
-> the most powerful portable amp I own even FIIO M17 plugged to an external power supply is not as powerful.
-> rather light & compact for such power which keeps the WM1A still really portable.
-> 4 to 5 hours playing time at a realistic volume level
I don't use anymore the Less BX2+, though the sound quality and power in Class A mode is impressive too ... but too bulky and little playing time on battery.

I usually avoid to use the Ampersand with my IEMs (VE EXT, IE900/600, N3AP, WU Zetian, Xelento, ...) but, when I tried, there was no hiss in low and medium gain (I didn't use High gain due to too much power and risky for my ears)
Actually my preferred holidays travelling combo for planes, trains, hotels, family's home is :
Source is a Samsung Z Fold4 (1Tb) + SSD WD4Tb (with samsung wireless 10000 powerbank)
-> WM1A / iFi Go Blu (both set in BT recceiver mode, one for the day and the other for the night)
-> TWS JVC HA-FW1000T (the nearest a headphone feeling I own)
-> IEM Sony XBA-N3AP & WU Zetian
-> DCA Stealth (Yes in my luggage) + Centrance Ampersand (10000Mha very compact Powerbank)

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #139 of 172
I say your Pm as well so I will answer here...
I Use these last months mainly the CE Ampersand with a moded WM1A by Nayparm (with a load of huge capacitors) with some MrWalkman cooked firmware so I would say the sound quality is no longer a pure "Sony" .. but it's probably, by a big margin, my favourite SQ between all my portable devices (FIIO M8/M11/M17, Kann Alpha, R6Pro, BTR7, UP4(2022), iFiGoblu)..
To tell the truth, I can't really say the Ampersand has no effect on Sound Quality on headphones, as I only use this amp with a huge pleasure with the power hungry DCA Stealth and sometimes the HEDDPhone One => both of these headphones can't be moved properly directly by the WM1A (I used as portable amp also the Centrance M8V2, LESS BX2+, ..).
The Ampersand offers the real chance to the WM1A to move more or less properly the DCA Stealth like the FIIO M17 does (even in Audio Enhanced mode).
I can't make any A/B comparison with my TOTL headphones (WM1A is not powerful enough without the Ampersand) , but with the Sony Z7M2 => I don't feel any real sound quality changes at same volume level with or without Ampersand in the path. The M8V2 has some little background hiss in BT Receiver mode, but not in USB-C Input mode)

For me the Ampersand is :
-> perfect with the WM1A to drive power hungry headphones
-> the most powerful portable amp I own even FIIO M17 plugged to an external power supply is not as powerful.
-> rather light & compact for such power which keeps the WM1A still really portable.
-> 4 to 5 hours playing time at a realistic volume level
I don't use anymore the Less BX2+, though the sound quality and power in Class A mode is impressive too ... but too bulky and little playing time on battery.

I usually avoid to use the Ampersand with my IEMs (VE EXT, IE900/600, N3AP, WU Zetian, Xelento, ...) but, when I tried, there was no hiss in low and medium gain (I didn't use High gain due to too much power and risky for my ears)
Actually my preferred holidays travelling combo for planes, trains, hotels, family's home is :
Source is a Samsung Z Fold4 (1Tb) + SSD WD4Tb (with samsung wireless 10000 powerbank)
-> WM1A / iFi Go Blu (both set in BT recceiver mode, one for the day and the other for the night)
-> TWS JVC HA-FW1000T (the nearest a headphone feeling I own)
-> IEM Sony XBA-N3AP & WU Zetian
-> DCA Stealth (Yes in my luggage) + Centrance Ampersand (10000Mha very compact Powerbank)
Agree with your experience ..
I use the Ampersand with A&K SE200 bal out to Ampersand which set to medium gain @ "fix"mode and only need to turn the 200 to a vol of 36/140 (ie only ~25% of vol) and it drives mu IER-M7 beautifully, and v "black" noise floor!
With the Sony ZX707 again bal out to Ampersand "fix", vol is 46/120 (~38% vol) with 707 at normal gain, and this gives me a very "Sony" sound esp when I used 707 with DSD remastering mode!
When I connect the 200 and 707 to the RNHP Amp via bal out and XLR in to the Amp, then I find the Ampersand has relatively lesser dynamics and lesser headroom to RNHP! But But the Ampersand itself is already a gem to me due to its compactness and can be used on battery and as desktop!!

May 4, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #141 of 172
20230505_080328.jpg
Surpringly, the Ampersand and a difficult to drive closed DCA Stealth can do the job even in planes or trains....

May 5, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #142 of 172
I have a Sony 1zm2
I am very pleased with the sound
Should I try using it with the ampersand ( via balanced in ? ) for feeding Susvara ? or soundquality would deteriorate too much ?
Should I find another portable-dac solution for it ?
What's you opinion ?

May 6, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #143 of 172
I have a Sony 1zm2
I am very pleased with the sound
Should I try using it with the ampersand ( via balanced in ? ) for feeding Susvara ? or soundquality would deteriorate too much ?
Should I find another portable-dac solution for it ?
What's you opinion ?
I only own the Z7M2 and DCA Stealth... the Ampersand is for me not really far from my FIIO M17 in portable mode (almost on par) for the ratier difficult Stealth. So, I guess it can be a good option for the Susvara too. I enjoy the capability to have Light DAP for IEM uses and add the Ampersand when needed for the Stealth. The FIIO M17 is somzwhere too heavy and bulky for IEM use.

May 29, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #144 of 172
Looking for a quality portable amplifier to couple with my usb dongles (Questyle M15, Cayin RU6 and now the Cayin RU7 with Line Out functiinality).
Considered the Cayin C9, but the cost seems to be too steep.
Can anyone provide an impression on the sound quality of Ampersand coupled with any of the above (or similar) dongles using the balanced input?

Listening via Focal Stellia and Fir Xe6 (4.4mm balanced cables)

Thanks

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 12:55 AM Post #148 of 172
@newworld666 can you tell me what USB power source is stacked in the pic and where can one get a set of those balanced connector interconnect cables... looks to be perfect with the 90 degree...

The source is Sony WM1A is modded by Nayparm Audio and I made replaced the 3.5mm Single End plug by a 2.5mm balance plug.

For the 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter, I can't remember with which device I got it.. I have got many short 4.4mm to 4.4mm or 2.5mm to 2.5mm

The USB-C battery is ultra thin and can be found on many amazon stores
https://www.amazon.com/Auskang-5000...ight/dp/B093GK4PZ1?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

I use some Neodym tape to keep this all together and keep such combo almost pocket-able in a large trousers pocket.. https://www.magnetiques.fr/magnetique,bande-magnetique-brute-759-fr.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back