Center imaging
Dec 14, 2007 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

regal

Headphoneus Supremus
What new DAC has good center imaging? I need a new DAC but the center mixed instruments must not be dull and lifeless as is common with equipment these days. Any ideas?

Dec 14, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #2 of 9
Have you listened to tubed audio equipment before? Sounds right up your alley...

Dec 14, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #3 of 9
This is a speaker/headphone issue; you are looking in the wrong forum.

Dec 14, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a speaker/headphone issue; you are looking in the wrong forum.

If his source sucks - not really, but then his source just plain sucks...

My speakers had not so good central imaging even after I got rid of the grills. The problem was fixed by using my chain balanced instead of SE with better cables, but for that to be an effective solution, source/amp/phones must be already pretty damn good.

Dec 14, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #5 of 9
If you're speakers aren't meshing in the middle properly, you've got them too far apart. They shouldn't be more than 8 or 9 feet apart. Six feet in most living rooms. If you're listening with headphones, make sure you don't have any sort of digital audio enhancement accidentally switched on.

See ya
Steve

Dec 14, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #6 of 9
Well my old '90s AD1862 Dac doesn't have any problem with center played instruments thru my headphones.

New Dac's I have tried:
DAC-AH with all the mods
Pardesea
Scott Nixon

I was looking at trying a VDA-2, but in the review thread here someone said it had trouble with the center imaging. Also considering a PS Audio DLIII or a Rockna RD2.

What I am talking about is when a guitar for example is mixed deadcenter, the instrument takes a dull image compared to the instruments on the left or right.

Dec 14, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well my old '90s AD1862 Dac doesn't have any problem with center played instruments thru my headphones.

New Dac's I have tried:
DAC-AH with all the mods
Pardesea
Scott Nixon

I was looking at trying a VDA-2, but in the review thread here someone said it had trouble with the center imaging. Also considering a PS Audio DLIII or a Rockna RD2.

What I am talking about is when a guitar for example is mixed deadcenter, the instrument takes a dull image compared to the instruments on the left or right.

What are your cans, what's your amplification? Could be that your DAC actually mixed the channels too closely, and now you are hearing the issue with the headphones.

I had central image issues with HD600/HD650 (which go away with very good amplification, but meh), and did not have any issues with ATH-W5000, Ultrasones. The latter group all has angled drivers.

Dec 14, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #8 of 9
Amp is a DIY Millett Hybrid with the diamond buffers.

Headphones are AKG 271S. I had K501s and the problem was much worse.

With my current DAC (Audio Alchemy V1.2) there is no issue. However trialing my friends DAC's I notice it and on a few new ones I listed.

I need 24 bit capability now so plan on picking up a new DAC for xmas. Considering VDA-2, Rockna RD-2, or PS Audio DLIII.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back