CD's You Know You "Should" Like but Dont?
Nov 7, 2003 at 6:22 PM Post #16 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by fyrfytrhoges
trawlerman, you shall burn in the eternal flames of hades for your comment!!!!

Only speaking my mind
biggrin.gif

Then again there's no accounting for taste. Hell, I live for bluegrass. Bring on the **** kicking music
600smile.gif

Nov 7, 2003 at 6:37 PM Post #17 of 57
i knew you were, i'm just funnin with ya. i think it's a well known fact around here that i'll defend that album to my grave, i know that music taste is totally subjective and it really makes no sense to argue with people about it. once again i was just kidding, there was absolutely no malice intended, i actually think i agree with most of your musical tastes from what i have read in the past.

Nov 7, 2003 at 8:15 PM Post #18 of 57
i think some of you have misread nightfall's intention - or i have
smily_headphones1.gif

i think this thread isn't (or shouldn't) be along the lines of "i hate it though everybody tells me this is great - aka the endless ever repeating radiohead discussion...

the way i understand it is: "i can't quite connect to it though i thought i would - because i like everything else by him/her or because i really like similar stuff...."

i feel that way about annie lennox' "bare" too, but also about her previous solo work. i liked the eurythmics, and one of my favorite genres is female singer/songwriters, but annie lennox is not for me.

i also was extremely disappointed by skin's "fleshwounds", and i was sure i'd love it.

Nov 7, 2003 at 8:22 PM Post #19 of 57
i didn't misunderstand the thread at all, i first stated what i can't connect with, then i made an off hand jab at someone which is very clearly stated as a joke, so i wouldn't call it as you have "an endless radiohead discussion" i think you're overstating a bit, but if i threadcrapped so badly it hurt someone's feelings i'm so so sorry, please forgive me.......

Nov 8, 2003 at 1:15 AM Post #21 of 57
Miles Davis, any album.

John Coltrane, same thing.

Nov 8, 2003 at 1:19 AM Post #22 of 57
Ummm... Grandaddy - Sumday

I mean... it's OK... but they just sound so much like The Flaming Lips but worse.

And all those Radiohead albums. Man, I know I should like all of them... but I just... I just... oh wait, I do. No... wait... I love them! How bout that.

Nov 8, 2003 at 2:42 AM Post #24 of 57
anything by steely dan.

I know that everyone wants to test their sound systems with steely dan because "its so well engineered, and tonly its unbeatable, and it covers such a broad range while being really dynamic".

Yeah, true, but it also sounds like poo. Sorry I wouldnt subject others too it nor would I subject myself.

Milo

Nov 9, 2003 at 10:12 PM Post #26 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by fyrfytrhoges
i didn't misunderstand the thread at all, i first stated what i can't connect with, then i made an off hand jab at someone which is very clearly stated as a joke, so i wouldn't call it as you have "an endless radiohead discussion" i think you're overstating a bit, but if i threadcrapped so badly it hurt someone's feelings i'm so so sorry, please forgive me.......

hey, fyrfytrhoges, no one's hurt round here ( i hope)
and i'm still not sure whether it wasn't actually me who misunderstood nightfall, so forget it...
smily_headphones1.gif

i used the radiohead reference as an example simply because it's arguably the band with the highest hate/love ratio at head-fi and i (wrongly) feared this thread might degenerate into another "they're great-crap-great-crap"-pattern. it didn't, so, again, can we forget i played half-assed assistant moderator for a post?

Nov 9, 2003 at 10:16 PM Post #27 of 57
Quote:

Ummm... Grandaddy - Sumday

haha, that's actually what i'm listening to right now. it's alright, definitely not up to the standards of their first two albums, but still has it's moments IMO.

as for albums i don't really like...

1. the strokes - is this it
there's two good tracks on it, the rest is completely forgettable. and go figure, but i LOVE their new album room on fire. much more varied than their first attempt.

2. the white stripes - white blood cells
once again, the songs are way too similar and i like their new album much more. elephant may not be any more varied than white blood cells, but almost every song has a kickass riff or solo in it somewhere that ultimately makes it worth spinning again. white blood cells in comparison is just a monotonous slog.

3. underworld - dubnobasswithmyheadman
ok, now i don't hate this album, but i hardly think it lives up to the hype it's garnered over the past ten years. "mmm skyscaper..." and "cowgirl" are, however, two of the best damn electronica songs ive ever heard. most of the rest is just bleech though.

Nov 9, 2003 at 11:07 PM Post #28 of 57
looking at what else I listen to, I 'should' be a big Radiohead fan. I think Kid A is good, the rest either bores or irritates me (sometimes even both).

Pink Floyd - The Wall. five in row before that one that I absolutely love, but I don't like The Wall.
rolleyes.gif

I don't like A Rush Of Blood To The Head at all, but despite the critical succes (especially amog the MTV folk) I don't see why one 'should' like it. it's just a seriously not good album.

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme. don't get me wrong, I love jazz and I'm a big Coltrane fan, but ALS just doesn't have anything for me. just like Miles Davis - In A Silent Way, it has no shape at all, nothing to grab you. even the most formless post-rock at least has tension and moments of accidental melody, this just has nothing.

and what the hell is the deal with classical anyway?
blink.gif

Nov 12, 2003 at 6:20 PM Post #29 of 57
Classical is absolutely awesome if you get the right performer/piece/recording. I took a class on Western Music and it really showed me how complex classical is, much more so than most rock. Radiohead actually has some orchestral qualities in that sense.

Nov 12, 2003 at 8:08 PM Post #30 of 57
Sonic Youth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back