CDs that sound better than vinyl
Mar 9, 2013 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Hito kun

New Head-Fier
There's the common belief that vinyl records sound better than CDs, we've all heard that, and while yes, thanks to loudness war and $15 earphones, we're getting terrible sounding CDs.

But as far as I can tell, technically speaking CDs are a better media for audio, and the studios and some lazy engineers are to blame for today quality standars in music mastering.

So yeah, wich CDs in your opinion sounds better than their vinyl counterparts?

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #2 of 7
I'm no longer in a position to make a real-time comparison as my turntable/cartridge/phono pre-amp are long gone (>20 yrs).

You know, I don't even remember the brand of cartridge I had..just that it came with a high recommendation from my local audiophile sales guy whose taste seemed similar to mine. 

Anyway, I was (and still am) a big Pink Floyd fan and had the MFSL LP version of DSOTM. I had an NAD CD player and picked up the Harvest/EMI black faced version mastered  in Japan in 1984. All I can recall at this point is being surprised at how 'good' it sounded to me  (remember that beauty is in the ears of the listener :wink:. I do remember that the dynamic range, clarity, and imaging on my old DQ-10 speakers just impressed the crap out of me.

That was the start of the end of investing in LPs for me.

I'm curious to read the inputs from members that currently have rigs and media for both formats that they have A/B'ed.

Subscribed...   

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
[...]
I'm curious to read the inputs from members that currently have rigs and media for both formats that they have A/B'ed.
[...]  

Me too. Mostly because labels are trying to push Vinyl as a Hi-Fi format, which for me seems like they just want to cash in the analog myth and sell expensive records. I mean, if the vinyl and CD masters are different (for a release at the same time) and the first sounds better, then why don't they just go with the superior master for both media? Is it just marketing?

Mar 10, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #4 of 7
Now that you mention it, I have noticed that Hi-Fi vinyl marketing push recently.  

I hope your (this) thread motivates some to engage...

Mar 10, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #5 of 7
I listen to all formats, including and especially vinyl.  In answer to the thread's question, the first thing that comes to mind is the classic period for Matador Records, the mid-90's to early 00's.  They put out a whole lot of classic albums, but most of their vinyl was notoriously and inexcusably bad until....  maybe a little less than 10 years ago they addressed the problem.  So almost anything on that label at that time would have been better on CD, definitely.

The thing about vinyl is that it is totally dependent on manufacturing quality, so if that's not there it doesn't matter how well the music is engineered/mastered/etc up until that point, it's still going to sound bad.  It's a fully physical medium, not just 1's and 0's that are either there to be read or they aren't.  To be into vinyl, a familiarity with the different companies that produce records is kind of necessary to know what's worth the extra investment and what isn't.

Another bad example of a record that sounds worse on LP would be the Elliott Smith reissues that came out a few years ago.  I love the album Figure 8, but that LP just sounds brutal.  The CD is much much better.  I'm sure there are many examples I could think of.  Just because something is on LP doesn't automatically mean it will sound amazing.  One more example would be N. American vinyl from the early 80's or so, they were recycling the vinyl at that time and it was also made overly thin, so that's an entire time period of production that would not sound great compared to a well-mastered CD re-issue....  I also find that a lot of the regular CD remasters of classic jazz that came out around the early 00's sound fantastic by any standard, so are not really trumped by some of the decent but kind of average LP pressings that have been done at various times.  I could go on and on. 

Dec 8, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #6 of 7
Wow, it's been over a year this thread was started, and I just stumbled upon it again (Im not much of a poster, but I come here often to read threads just for the sake of it). This topic still interests me a lot, more now with losless and 24/96 and up releases.

As someone who grew up without any real sonic reference for vinyl, I just can't see labels releasing new editions for any reason but hype (I would surely buy a couple for collection value, but I would very much rather listen to a HD remaster, even though I'm sure this new presses are super high quality and will probably sound great). I mean, with the proper rig (not that I have one right now), jitter is not a real issue anymore (or am I wrong?) and I really really doubt our brains and ears can objectively discern between the analog sound produced by the needle and a 96 khz sample. You want warmth? that's what tube amps are for!

So yeah, what do you people think? Any opinion and shared experience would be very valuable, more from user with a long time in the business.

Dec 8, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #7 of 7
As mentioned - provided the mastering is equal, if the quality of the vinyl production is superior then it will sound better 100% of the time IMHO - just a better and truer medium. As far as a 24/192 native HD track vs vinyl - well that might be mighty close IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back