CDs gone all frosty looking
Jun 5, 2011 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Raymate

100+ Head-Fier
have a number of older CD single from various bands but all seem to be made by EMI Swindon

To my horror I have just dug some out to play and they have all gone frosty looking and will not play.

How can I fixthem I have a great of LTD edition disks that are dead.

Jun 5, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #2 of 14
That's a pretty incredible picture, if nothing else. Have these CDs been stored in any extreme temperatures or in humid conditions at all?

Jun 5, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #3 of 14
... Like they've been in the freezer for storage?  
biggrin.gif

I've never seen that before.

Jun 5, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #5 of 14
I was going to make a comment about how the putting a CD in a microwave is a bad idea because of the thin metal layer. Then I realised that if you're putting a CD in a microwave you're probably beyond caring.

Jun 5, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #6 of 14
No they have been in normal room conditions, most of the disk affected are from the early 90's 

Googling the problem I have found a only a few references to this. And it seems the mostly affected are CD singles that come in plastic digipacks and the plastic used to make them is ageing and given of some chemical that is reacting with the coating on the CDs

I got one disk and removed some of this frosting with window cleaner but the marks are still present and it still would not play.

All my affected disk are rare CD singles so I'm rather annoyed they will not play as I would back them up to CDRs

Forgot to add the surface is rough and almost tacky in touch

Jun 5, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #8 of 14
could be "crazing" where solvent swells the plastic causing stress fractures - typically ketones are really bad at this with some plastics like polycarbonate - sometimes the plastic piece just falls apart - I suspect the cracks are too deep to polish out - if they have reached the data layer the discs are hopeless for ever being read by a CD player again

plasticizers are long chain molecules and may not readily evaporate on a time scale faster than the years it took for them to cause the damage in the 1st place - this is total speculation by someone with only a few college chemistry classes but possibly you could "extract" the damaging plasticizer with a compatible solvent that wouldn't further damage the disc - alcohol?

that still leaves the cracks - maybe heat/compression could anneal/sinter them or they could be filled with index matching fluid

Jun 10, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #9 of 14
Wow,that's some new modern art dude,arrange an exhibition "Tech lives and gets old too" "Art is all around" etc,something like this,and sell them.Art people go crazy about new stuff.

Jun 10, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #10 of 14
And that's pretty new, to me at least. I've never seen anything like that in the past.

Jun 12, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #11 of 14

[size=medium]
I've never seen anything like that in my life, and I have lots of cds stored in the worst conditions. Lots of them with 10 years. No clue about what may have caused it.
[/size]

Quote:
More like in a hot place like Joe said, I once put a Cd into the microwave and it looked somehow similar to that one but with a more organized pattern

Does it happen consistently? II'd love to replicate the pattern on the OP's cds.

Jun 13, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #12 of 14

Quote:

[size=medium]
I've never seen anything like that in my life, and I have lots of cds stored in the worst conditions. Lots of them with 10 years. No clue about what may have caused it.
[/size]

Does it happen consistently? II'd love to replicate the pattern on the OP's cds.

47.jpg

exactly this. 

Raymate, how is it going, got any fix?

Jun 17, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #13 of 14
Wow that's pretty amazing, I too have used CDs extensively from various manufacturers, may I ask which company produced them?
I've seen dye fading but nothing like that before
blink.gif

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #14 of 14
Must not use cryogenic freezer on CDs! Cables only, guys. 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back