CDDB Pet Peeves
Dec 1, 2002 at 6:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MacDEF

Headphone Hussy (will wear anything if it sounds good)
Anyone else get *really* annoyed at some of the half-brains who submit CD info? I'm in the process of ripping tracks from over 1000 CDs, and I'd say 8 out of every 10 times my ripping app queries the CDDB for CD info/track names, there's something wrong with the info. Here's my "bitch list" of irritating CDDB errors cased by UHE (user headspace error).

Warning: flames ahead
evilfire.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Common screw-ups:

Song name in artist field (and vice versa)

Spelling errors (dude, it's written right there on the CD jacket -- if you can't spell, can you at least read?)

Songs have the "compilation" flag checked, even though the album isn't a compilation. Does having four syllables make a word that hard to understand?

All the info in a single field (artist, title, album name all scrunched into the Song field). Don't worry, those other fields are just there to make the window look pretty.

Paul Oakenfeld, Prodigy, and Paul van Dyke classified as "New Age" (or any number of other boneheaded misclassifications). Just leave the genre field blank if you're that clueless so as not to embarrass yourself.

Changing the name of a song/album/artists because you don't like the spelling/punctuation/etc. (common variant: abbreviating words in a title/name). Hey, once you release a CD, you can use whatever punctuation/grammar/words you like; until then, just act like you're back in 2nd grade copying pages of a book after school as punishment for being stupid.

Lazy errors (a.k.a., if you're not going to get the details right, don't bother):

Artist names not entered for compilations -- for every song, it just says "Various Artists." Yeah, you're right... they're all "Live Aid" songs.

Leaving the Year field blank. (Helpful tip: it's usually on the back of the CD, right next to the copyright symbol.)

Filling in the "composer" field with the artist/band name. (Hint: JLo doesn't write her own songs, Lenny Kravitz did not write "American Woman," and Smashing Pumpkins did not write "Landslide.") Just leave it blank if you aren't going to do the legwork.

Admittedly anal-retentive peeve that shouldn't bother me
wink.gif
:

Changing the case of song/album names. Hint: some bands use case for a reason -- if it's not written in all caps on the CD sleeve, why the heck do you submit CD info in all caps? Are you afraid we won't hear you?

/rant
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2002 at 8:19 AM Post #2 of 5
That all caps thing really bugs me.
So does the various artist thing on compilations.

I gave up on using the genre from CDDB.

Why do I get two choice that are the same for one CD?
One rock one other.

Dec 1, 2002 at 8:54 AM Post #3 of 5
luckily, one of eac's newer options is the "lower case all letters" one for the cd track lists. i'd been doing them manually for years.
wink.gif

yes, spelling errors are terrificly stupid. at one point, i stopped using cddb entirely and just did them all manually. i got so sick of having incorrect titles and not finding out till later.

also, all the retards who input like "napster cd #2" make me want to throw things. no wonder the database is so huge.

i think genres are dumb though. everybody has their own opinion so i always reset it anyway. no point in taking somebody else's opinion.. not everybody lists tom waits as "avantgarde" like i do. i figure the id3 tags have all those weird options, might as well try using some of them.
wink.gif

Dec 1, 2002 at 11:39 PM Post #4 of 5
Ugh, I wish there was some way that cddb would collect all the different ways that a CD was submitted in(ex: all caps, spelling screw up, etc) and would send you the "right" one. I mean, hypothetically, the most frequently submitted one should be the "right" one, right?

Dec 2, 2002 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 5
I get can get mine even to work
mad.gif
! I had to type the tag info for my entire Led Zeppelin collection. That was a pain in the ass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back