CD3K vs HD595
Jun 19, 2004 at 4:54 AM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Again IMO I'm feeling that the CD3000 is not for you, buddy....why not just try to get other options...there are more...not too many but at least a few....instead of bashing a good headphone....
confused.gif

my oh my
wink.gif
No need to take it so personally...I am not bashing you am I now
280smile.gif

Im not bashing anything but I didnt expect you to take this information in any other way. You havent let me down
cool.gif

Ampgalore - Rudistor is doing great!! I am sending it to Italy for a few upgrades and a power supply mod (110/220 switchable supply) and larger capacity capacitors...

Jun 19, 2004 at 4:57 AM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
Great, CD3000 were bashed for being too bright. Now CD3000 is being bashed for having too much bass. Even the mighty R10 is not spared.

Whatever

You place too much importance on "Brand Name" and "Reputation" my friend
tongue.gif

Yes - CD-3000 is WAAAAY too bright...no doubt about it and the bass is just plain boring and almost single note.

R-10 also has bloated bass...with the Emmeline Stealth...perhaps it sounds better with other amplifiers and I will find out in a few days time...plenty of amps and plenty of headphones including the R-10, PS-1, Modded CD3000 (woody and cable mods) and stock CD-3000
eggosmile.gif

Fun times ahead!

Jun 19, 2004 at 4:59 AM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by cadobhuk
Yes,cd3000's bass is better than hd600's.600's just dont have enough of it.

not enough of it??!?!!! definetly a system dependant thing, buddy... but most people will tell you th opposite thing.

Quote:

Great, CD3000 were bashed for being too bright. Now CD3000 is being bashed for having too much bass

this is not new. there are systems that the bass is bloated for some reason. but comments on the bloated bass were more common in the past IIRC... maybe a slightly different production
confused.gif

there's some hollowness in the CD3000's midrange.. that somwhat makes both versions possible , alone or together, i guess..

Jun 19, 2004 at 5:33 AM Post #34 of 42
We should all put a piece of cloth over the CD3000 drivers and be done with all the bright notes and bass.

R10 is bright and bloated. I guess the next logical step would be the Orpheus.

Jun 19, 2004 at 5:46 AM Post #35 of 42
Quote:

Yes - CD-3000 is WAAAAY too bright...no doubt about it and the bass is just plain boring and almost single note.

gsferrari,

When you had your CD300, did you use it with the Sony NS-500V? The NS-500V is well known for being overly bright playing redbook. I owned it at one time before and it was not a good match with CD3K. The NS-500V is a good SACD player though.

Jun 19, 2004 at 11:02 AM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamZuf
not enough of it??!?!!! definetly a system dependant thing, buddy... but most people will tell you th opposite thing.

Didnt have enough bass for me either TBH, but yes it probably is a system dependant thing; by that score though, any headphone can be given better bass - and my finding is not an insult, most headphones frankly do not have enough bass for me, gsferrari's findings suggest to me that I will not like the 595 because it has subjectively less bass.

Jun 19, 2004 at 12:56 PM Post #38 of 42
Grating highs of CD3K: See my signature. Some phones really do grate whatever you do... but the CD3K are not quite there. However since nearly everyone in this thread is doing what my sig refers to, I can only suggest once again that the CD3K, while visually very weird, might be just the thing for the office and you might have to take the risk of brightness. The 'isolation' it provides is muffling at best, but it's enough to create a small (yet very wide-feeling) music space you can call your own. The AOS DAC may also help in this regard.

Jun 19, 2004 at 2:16 PM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk
gsferrari,

When you had your CD300, did you use it with the Sony NS-500V? The NS-500V is well known for being overly bright playing redbook. I owned it at one time before and it was not a good match with CD3K. The NS-500V is a good SACD player though.

Good point. But the same source with the SR-325 didnt sound bright at all
confused.gif
And in any case I only used SACD's to evaluate the headphones. I did this while I was writing my Rudistor review:

http://www.gurushankar.com/6901/index.html

http://www.gurushankar.com/Rudistor%...0Reference.pdf

Jun 19, 2004 at 2:53 PM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Good point. But the same source with the SR-325 didnt sound bright at all
confused.gif
And in any case I only used SACD's to evaluate the headphones. I did this while I was writing my Rudistor review:

http://www.gurushankar.com/6901/index.html

http://www.gurushankar.com/Rudistor%...0Reference.pdf

And how is the Rudistor for the CD3000, a good match, or did you tested it with other amps, known as being good matches for it???
Just a remark, even straight out of my Sony CDplayer (a bright source was called here) the CD3000 beats the HD600 in any aspect of the sound anytime, and I do not feel it harsh or bright at all, I think that the brightness of the CD3000 is a matter of get used to it, as any other headphone, I found now, all what I have heard extremly dull in comparison, and lacking of details and extension both ways.....
3000smile.gif
3000smile.gif
3000smile.gif

Jun 19, 2004 at 2:57 PM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
And how is the Rudistor for the CD3000, a good match, or did you tested it with other amps, known as being good matches for it???
Just a remark, even straight out of my Sony CDplayer (a bright source was called here) the CD3000 beats the HD600 in any aspect of the sound anytime, and I do not feel it harsh or bright at all, I think that the brightness of the CD3000 is a matter of get used to it, as any other headphone, I found now, all what I have heard extremly dull in comparison, and lacking of details and extension both ways.....
3000smile.gif
3000smile.gif
3000smile.gif

we know...we know...
eggosmile.gif

The Rudistor is a good match for the CD3000 but the CD3000 picks up a hum that no other headphone (except the ety's and shures) pick up. Rudi is going to look into my amplifier, upgrade it to the newest version and give me a switchable voltage input (!10/220) power supply when I send the amp to him in a few days.

Cheers!

Jun 19, 2004 at 3:35 PM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Good point. But the same source with the SR-325 didnt sound bright at all And in any case I only used SACD's to evaluate the headphones. I did this while I was writing my Rudistor review:

gsferrari,

I will not speak about the CD3000 vs. the HD600 issue, but I believe your problem could very well be the source. Although I never used my NS500V to play any SACD, my impression of the NS500 has always been a very bright source. I also own the SR-325 and IMO, it is less bright than the stock CD3K. Therefore, I really think it could be your source. CD3K is a bright sounding phone but couple with a bright source, it could translate to a very piercing high.

p.s.
I've own number of CD players, namely, Sony SCD-C222ES mods, C333ES, C555ES w/ Op-amp upgrade, NS-500V, XA-20ES, and Phillips 963sa and NS500V is the brightest by a far margin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back