CD3000 vs Etymotic ER-4S?
Jul 15, 2003 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Patrickhat2001

1000+ Head-Fier
Now here is an unlikely battle--on one side we have the Sony CD3000 that few would want to be caught dead with outside the house due to its large size. On the other side are the Etymotic ER-4S which many people regulate to portable use because of its redicously small size, extreme isolation and fit. But the truth is that both phones represent great values to headphone users regardless of their application--they can be driven well without requiring more expensive and powerful amplifiers (like anything above a Meta). So, I'm wondering, who wins in this battle of David and Goliath when they are judged by sound quality alone?

This battle would include all musical genres as well.

Jul 15, 2003 at 6:10 AM Post #2 of 21
While I have no experience with the Sonys, I think that I can safely say that the sound will be extremely different, and comparing the CD3000 and the Etys is pretty odd. Each is made for a different purpose and has different strengths. Clearly the Sonys will have a fuller sound with more bottom end and much roomier soundstage, and clearly Etys will isolate much better and leak less, but you will get a soundstage that is basically a line inside your head between your ears, and the bass won't be as present. We all know that, but concerning sound quality only, I think it just depends on how you like your tonal balance and detail. I would think it just comes down to application and personal preference since they're completely different cans, but perhaps I am wrong and one of them just 'sounds better.'

Jul 15, 2003 at 11:25 AM Post #3 of 21
Actually, that right there is my "headphone portfolio". I have experienced er4s for a few years, and now I am just hearing the CD3000. By the end of the week, i should be able to complete a great comparison if you are interested. I think I owe it to these to fully break in, and experience them to make an intelligent statement on them. So far, so great : ]

Jul 16, 2003 at 2:02 AM Post #5 of 21
i have owned both. sony's are getto blasters , they are classy looking. I didnot keep mine long. I was a ER4s convert in every way. portably the er4s are just so small and the sonys are just so big. One thing about the sonys was thet they picked up so much noise when in cars ect. more so than say hd-580

id you want electrostatic type clarity and something that fits in your hand its the er4s on the other hand you want ex large bass heavy and slightly bright headphones it the sony's

Jul 16, 2003 at 2:33 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by MadDog
Which one sounds better Sennheiser Orpheus HE-HEV90
or ER-4S? Anyone had a chance to compare?

?!

Jul 16, 2003 at 5:26 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

???? OFFSIDE!!! like in soccer, are you on the right thread, man?

Jul 16, 2003 at 5:30 AM Post #8 of 21
I never had heard the etys but according to the size of the drivers, I don't think they will offer you the same bass extension as a bigger driver, IIRC this was discussed here long time ago, one thing is sure with either one you will be happy, unless you find a disconfort using the etys, some people does not find them comfortable cauyse the shape of the ear canal...

Jul 16, 2003 at 6:02 AM Post #9 of 21
you have to see the light of maddog's wit there guys in comparison to the thread question.
cool.gif

i have both the cd3k and the ety's and...different strokes for different folks. it depends on what music you want to enjoy em for (though any pair would do fine by a margin), and since you mentioned all music genres, then the cd3k wins because of the bass. portability (unless you like to go jogging head-fi style), environs and mobility. any n00b could figure out which suits his needs.

Jul 16, 2003 at 6:25 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
???? OFFSIDE!!! like in soccer, are you on the right thread, man?

Why not? some of you guys already made a pack with ety.
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2003 at 5:44 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Etys are better of course! They will beat the Senns anyday!
rolleyes.gif

Jul 16, 2003 at 6:06 PM Post #12 of 21
I have heard both the CD3K's and the Ety's. They are definately very different. If you do not have a problem with the fit and comfort of the Ety's, the only fault I think which is valid is that there is not a ton of slam. They do extend very deep and they are as clear and detailed a headphone as I have ever heard, but they do not have a great deal of bass impact. If I had to pick just 1 piar of phones to keep, I would be hard pressed to get rid of the Ety's.

I did not love the Sony's. I felt that the sound was slightly colored, and that sometimes there was a touch of cardboard to the low end and mids.

I do see the attraction some people feel towards the CD3K's and I guess that's why there are choices.

Jul 16, 2003 at 6:19 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Tina
you have to see the light of maddog's wit there guys in comparison to the thread question.
cool.gif

i have both the cd3k and the ety's and...different strokes for different folks. it depends on what music you want to enjoy em for (though any pair would do fine by a margin), and since you mentioned all music genres, then the cd3k wins because of the bass. portability (unless you like to go jogging head-fi style), environs and mobility. any n00b could figure out which suits his needs.

I also own both and I found the bass from Ety is somewhat tighter and more accurate midrange. I got a real deep bass from Ety (song like Titanic soundtrack). But the amount of bass from CD3000 is obviously more, but somewhat loosening (compared to each other) and CD3000 seems to be more detailed as some might say they're "bright" sounding phones. Also CD3000 provides a lot wider soundstage. But I don't find Ety's soundstage to be within two ears though. I love them both and they're my two main headphones.

(FYI My setups : CD3000 powered by Gilmore V2 and Ety powered by META)

Jul 16, 2003 at 9:58 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Dave1
I did not love the Sony's. I felt that the sound was slightly colored, and that sometimes there was a touch of cardboard to the low end and mids.

would you explain more about that effect?
how exactly did it affect instruments and overall sound?

Jul 17, 2003 at 12:34 AM Post #15 of 21
I love the bass of the Etys. I feel that I get every single note and that's all I could care about. Of course there are time I want some real slam but that's when I turn to my crappy speaker system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back