CD Stoplight/CD Blacklight
Aug 22, 2001 at 11:34 PM Post #16 of 20
davidcotton, yes I think you are correct and that is what makes it easier on the error correction system. I think. Possibly. A blind-test is in order. Or we are just being geed up by voodoo science?

I did once read a story about a chap who painted the whole drawer of his CD player green and claimed a big improvement in sound. Apparently the green absorbed stray laser light.

Sep 26, 2001 at 10:07 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
I did once read a story about a chap who painted the whole drawer of his CD player green and claimed a big improvement in sound. Apparently the green absorbed stray laser light.

Well, the funy thing about laser ligth is that it doesn't stray. Being a coherent flux of radiation, it means that it can be focused on a very small point without any difussion. That's why they use laser ligth reflected in mirrors left in the moon to detect seismic movement in our satellite. I think that the whole thing with the green paint could be that it increases the rotational pull on the borders of the cd, thus increasing it's relative weigth and at the same time the stability of the cd. That could be the real reason behing this better sound. The idea could be tested using just about any sort of ink.

Also, don't forget the psycological effect of the colour green. It's a colour we associate with nature and life, son maybe if we paint something with it, we feel that it comes alive.

Anyway, just my most humble opinnion.
cool.gif

Sep 27, 2001 at 1:01 AM Post #18 of 20
Ah crap, now you all are gonna think I am a tweaker, too. Oh well, here goes- I use Auric Illuminator and I can hear a differance, after treating the disc. I am less shure about the edge treatment having an effect (Auric's edge pen is black), but I can tell you the cleaner/polish fluid does work. It also makes a difference in the clarity of the surface of the plastic, and works really good to clean the plastic lenses in my eye glasses. (Very clear and colors seem brighter too, when I do my glasses. )
I will suggest that you could probably get the same effect with other plastic polish, de-static-ing fluids, though.

Now the really weird admission. I have NEVER been a beliver in the de-magnatiser devices that some people use on CD's, but, at the VSAC show in one room, the guy popped out the disc we were listening to, took it over to his homemade de magnatizer, gave it a couple of cranks, and stuck it back in the player, and pressed play. I looked at the guy next to me and he said what I was allready thinking- "Crap, I really didn't expect to hear any difference, and I do." I will readily admit that I had to have been a victim of the placibo effect, because I still can't believe it made a difference. Weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back