CD RESURFACE / Too many scratched disks in the pile
Apr 11, 2003 at 2:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

indigosax

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone have a good solution for this? I have tried the skip doctor type ( hand held buffer) and was not impressed. Does anyone have a good way to get a disk surface close to normal.
Most scratches on the disks are not very deep, and only cause a "tick".

Apr 11, 2003 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 14
Well the cheap method is to use a small amount of toothpaste on the scratch and rub up and down as much as you feel is necessary then if you wish you a polish. There are quite a few web sites out there with lots of tips.

This solution has worked for me though you do lose the shine of the area of the scratch as the toothpaste is a gentle abrasive.

Mark

Apr 12, 2003 at 3:14 AM Post #3 of 14
There is a product called Finyl that does help with minor imperfections. I bought some years ago and was pretty pleased with the results.

I have no idea where you would be able to find it or even if it is still produced. Google?

Apr 12, 2003 at 4:46 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by wordsworth
toothpaste is a gentle abrasive.

I had limited success with that. Mostly it just made my CDs smell minty-fresh.
rolleyes.gif

What kind of polish is good?

Apr 12, 2003 at 5:55 PM Post #6 of 14
I have used the battery powered disc doctor on a number of my old cd's that got scratched and exhibited the ticks you spoke of. I was able to return at least a dozen cd's to like new condition sonically.

Apr 13, 2003 at 2:52 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
I have used the battery powered disc doctor on a number of my old cd's that got scratched and exhibited the ticks you spoke of. I was able to return at least a dozen cd's to like new condition sonically.

is actually this disc doctor so efective? I mean with the cosmetic scratches, none of mine has any major damage but I got some used DVDs that has some marks and even when play fine I would like to get rid of those cosmetics imperfections....

Apr 13, 2003 at 11:25 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
is actually this disc doctor so efective? I mean with the cosmetic scratches, none of mine has any major damage but I got some used DVDs that has some marks and even when play fine I would like to get rid of those cosmetics imperfections....

PC Gamer magazine did a writeup on this a few years ago, and made fun of the whole idea (they take themselves too seriously, they sell you 1 ounce 'specially formulated cleaning agents' composed of 'specially filtered water' for $5, they use a 'disk cleaning surface' aka a sponge, etc), then did tests and it fixed 8 out of 10 of their disks. The sponge itself appears to be the abrasive, and a damn weak one at that. I would suggest using a very very fine grain abrasive paste(5000grit+), instead of just water.

99% of the thickness of the disk is clear polycarbonate on the bottom, if you scratch off half but make it mirror flat, then you've got a weaker, but perfectly good CD. If scratches are too deep, though(and for sure if you get scratches in the signal layer by going through the paperthin label), its doubtful you'll ever get them off.

Apr 13, 2003 at 1:07 PM Post #10 of 14
Another approach would be to copy the CD to CDR. I've used Exact Audio Copy to get perfect copies from severly mangled discs.

Apr 13, 2003 at 2:37 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Arzela
Another approach would be to copy the CD to CDR. I've used Exact Audio Copy to get perfect copies from severly mangled discs.

A DVD???

Apr 13, 2003 at 2:43 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
is actually this disk doctor so effective? I mean with the cosmetic scratches, none of mine has any major damage but I got some used DVDs that has some marks and even when play fine I would like to get rid of those cosmetics imperfections....

Cosmetically the repaired CD's are terrible after repair but they play perfectly now. Do not use this tool if the defects are only cosmetic as they will look far worse after repair. I only used it on CD's that had pops or would lock up on a track.

Apr 13, 2003 at 2:52 PM Post #13 of 14
Thanks man, that's what I want to know, I was suspecting this, I saw one in the store, and a guy offring a demo and it was a mess cosmetically too, but maybe there was a tip

note: a question: I have about 600 CDs all in perfect shape, why a CD got damaged? For me makes no sense to spend thousands on audio gear and then have damaged CDs....two suggestions: or take a better care of them and avoid this damamges, or just replace them, they are the cheapest part of the system

Apr 13, 2003 at 3:05 PM Post #14 of 14
I know exactly how mine were damaged. They were ones that my son borrowed (stole) and they got banged up as he used them. He did a lot of traveling when he was in school playing hockey and they led a rough life. I actually got the Disk Doctor as a Christmas gift. I think it works well and would recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back